Pod Your Reef

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

:) The issue isn't whether the fish came from the LFS/sister store, but whether it's healthy when it gets to you. And if the fish's previous owner kept it in good health; it's a win win situation for you, especially since, ime, local reefers sell shit for cheaper too.

I think the best place for you to look might be on a local forum, keep an eye out for leaving-the-hobby sale threads. Usually great frags/fish at great prices.

I posted WTB on the 2 NC forums I am on, plus CL. We'll see. I've decided that if I go to the LFS, I'm going to PetCo before to buy a 5g tank and cheap HOB filter for a QT. I'm not fallowing the tank again. If I end up with a good deal from a local reefer, I'll just drip acclimate and be done with it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got offered one. "I'll just give them to you if you want." was what the guy said. Looks like I may get it for free!

Just got offered one. "I'll just give them to you if you want." was what the guy said. Looks like I may get it for free!

TOLD YOU LOCAL REEFERS ARE DA BOMB!

Tibbsy! How are the new fish?

No fish yet, the guy said he wouldn't have them for a week or two. I'm willing to wait for a free fish. There also might be something else happening via my wife... :ninja:

This tank has become a war ground with the white, stringy bacteria. I don't know what it is, but it is EVERYWHERE now. I've been trying to beat it back with Microbacter7, and I've stopped feeding completely. It's ridiculously hardy. It's not only in the AC70, but it's in the tank now, too. Damn. I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm going to do tank maintenance tonight, including another MASSIVE cleaning of the AC70, etc. This time, I'm going to sanitize it, and once I replace it, I am going to put 2 doses of microbacter in the rear chamber and then let it go in the dark. UV light kills many of the important bacteria, especially in the water column, so I need to be doing any probiotic dosing at night.

There's no guarantee any store will have disease free fish. Most stores get their fish from the same suppliers. Ask if your LFS does their own QT. Most stores now will medicate and put new fish under 2 weeks QT / observation.

Just curious, why are you set on a yellow tail damsel? Seems like a pretty common fish.

There's no guarantee any store will have disease free fish. Most stores get their fish from the same suppliers. Ask if your LFS does their own QT. Most stores now will medicate and put new fish under 2 weeks QT / observation.

Just curious, why are you set on a yellow tail damsel? Seems like a pretty common fish.

I was set because of the color and the hardiness, but I'm rethinking this. Right now I'm more concerned with the stringy bacteria...

Fast. Like a couple of days. Wanted to do a water change today but the salt isn't mixing well... Lots of precipitate. Damn. The bacteria is going to be out of hand quickly. Lame.

How is the ventilation where the tank is? I get the white stringy stuff when there are strong cleaners used in the apartment. Google white reef slime to see if that is what you have. If yes, then Dr Tims waste away is about the only bacterial additive that works.

How is the ventilation where the tank is? I get the white stringy stuff when there are strong cleaners used in the apartment. Google white reef slime to see if that is what you have. If yes, then Dr Tims waste away is about the only bacterial additive that works.

I read about that. It's possible that strong cleaners were used, but the ventilation is OK around it. Just the AC vent on the floor about 4 feet away and the other across the room. If I need to use Waste Away, I will. Not sure what is going on. I don't clean this area except with towels and water. I did just change our air filter... But if anything that should help.

Hmmmm, maybe my previous clean was the problem, though the issue was there before, hence the deep clean.

I did another deep, microbiologist cleanse tonight, differently this time. Definitely safe as it is safe for humans. Afterwards I put more microbacter directly in the ac70. No more feedings until it settles.

Even with a water change of ~1.027, my total salinity was only 1.023. I need to bring it up this week.

Another thing that can cause the white slimy stuff is air fresheners the plug in ones are the worst. Anything with alcohol used near the tank can also cause it.

If strong cleaners were used it is very possible that is what is causing the issue. The filters in your home A/C system are not designed to stop any type of vapors, unless you are running some type of add on charcoal scrubber. Even the true (99.97%) HEPA units like those used in clean rooms will not filter out harmful vapors without the help of a charcoal system , they only grab particulate . With the floor vent at 4' away , you would be amazed at what is actually making it to your tank from there , especially if you are running a fan in the room.

Are you running carbon in your tank ? If not , it may not be a bad idea to add some and see if it can help strip any nasties from the water column.

Lol joy I figured as much, but no rubbing alcohol here.

Jbb - we use cleaners elsewhere in the house but the intake vent for the ac is well away from anywhere that would get them. It's possible that our place is small enough that it's an issue. Unfortunately that means I will have slime forever if that is the case. I'm not going to not clean my kitchen and bathroom because of the tank.

I was running a fan and I am using carbon in the filter. I have stopped the fan. Our place is set to 72 degrees and the old sticky thermometer is saying my tank water is at 83 degrees, but the glass thermometer I put in last night is saying 77... The water feels cooler, not like bath water so I'm leaning to the glass thermometer's reading

NEVER CLEAN AGAIN !!! :lol:

They make low voc cleaners you know. :P

I could hook you up with medical grade stuffs, might even kill your cooties. :ninja:

jedimasterben

NEVER CLEAN AGAIN !!! :lol:

This lol

They make low voc cleaners you know. :P

And you don't need to use intense cleaners. A mix of 50/50 vinegar and dish soap is a ridiculous degreaser and cleaner, 1/20 regular blue Dawn and water for an all-purpose cleaner, 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water for a disinfectant, 50/50 vinegar and water for removing scale buildup (or 100% vinegar, spray bottles are your friend). Baking soda can be mixed with pretty much any of those for extra abrasion and cleaning power.

jedimasterben

He works in a lab Benny , he needs a daily acid bath !!!

Nah, if it doesn't take incineration to kill, then it's not worth messing with :P

jedimasterben

are you saying you want him to get mad cow disease?

I don't want him to get it, ya know, but if he wants to work with it then that's on him :lol:

What about things like lotion or soap residue on your hands. I know someone that won't go in his tank without gloves because of a possible contamination of his tank.

Since it is a bacteria would chemi clean take it out?

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived