Top Shelf Aquatics

My Flower Box

gena

It looks great! I love the scape and the red macro on the left. I have been thinking of getting a flower nem for my 2gal they are cool as hell

Oh you should get one!!!! I'm kinda obsessed with them now :lol:. Too bad the really colorful ones are soooo expensive. I'm going to have to get my rear in gear and make a ton of money soon, to pay for the pretty flowers. :lol:

Yep, I'm sure I could. Too much work though :lol: Plus, I already have a pico. It has a very exotic betta and pleco in it :lol:

Great new photo! This is super cute. I can't wait to see it filled with rock flowers. I'm glad yo hear you ordered from KPA again! I wonder what your freebie(s) will be this time! Btw, did you order any shrimp from them? Or just the rock flowers?

Oh come on....it's not too much work. ;)

I hope it's an extra rock flower!!!!! No, nothing but the two flowers. I'll probably place another order with them in a few weeks for the shrimp.

I just adore this little tank. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does look nice did you just start it today are you using the stock light

Thanks! :)

I started it last week, I think it was Thursday. Not stock light. Right now it's a IM Skkye Light (LED), but tomorrow my PAR 30 bulb from Coral Cumpulsion should arrive.

Cool I was gonna say what was the stock doing to the temp but nvm haha

I run the stock JBJ picotope light on the 2 gallon glass cube that houses my betta and it doesn't do anything at all to the temperature. Its not particularly hot or anything.

Oh you should get one!!!! I'm kinda obsessed with them now :lol:. Too bad the really colorful ones are soooo expensive. I'm going to have to get my rear in gear and make a ton of money soon, to pay for the pretty flowers. :lol:

Oh come on....it's not too much work. ;)

I hope it's an extra rock flower!!!!! No, nothing but the two flowers. I'll probably place another order with them in a few weeks for the shrimp.

I just adore this little tank. :)

Aquascapers put some new rock flowers up on their website today :)

Yep, its too much work! I already have three tanks! If you keep trying to talk me into a pico, I may just have to start trying to talk you into a seahorse tank! :lol:

KPA seems to be pretty good about paying attention to what you order and sending freebies you'd actually want. I've never gotten a freebie I didn't want from them.

Aquascapers put some new rock flowers up on their website today :)

Yep, its too much work! I already have three tanks! If you keep trying to talk me into a pico, I may just have to start trying to talk you into a seahorse tank! :lol:

KPA seems to be pretty good about paying attention to what you order and sending freebies you'd actually want. I've never gotten a freebie I didn't want from them.

I just looked...pretty! I wish they put their WYSIWYG anemones as reduced rate shipping (priority). That's why I didn't go with one of those, but instead the Orange and the White that were eligible for priority mail shipping.

When I order my shrimp, I'll probably order a WYSIWYG. :D

Ummmm... a seahorse tank is way more work than a little planted, rock flower, pico. ;):lol:

I just looked...pretty! I wish they put their WYSIWYG anemones as reduced rate shipping (priority). That's why I didn't go with one of those, but instead the Orange and the White that were eligible for priority mail shipping.

When I order my shrimp, I'll probably order a WYSIWYG. :D

Ummmm... a seahorse tank is way more work than a little planted, rock flower, pico. ;):lol:

Yeah, that's weird that the WYSIWG rock nems can't go priority when the others can. I assumed you'd paid for overnight shipping and so I was surprised you didn't get a shrimp or two. Now that I know you got stuff with priority shipping, that makes more sense!

Yes, it definitely is more work! Especially now with all the NPS stuff, I feel like I have quite the feeding routine. I've got like a whole shelf in the door of my fridge just for seahorse tank food now :lol: I'm not going to add a pico I have to deal with on top of that!

I can't wait to see the 18k light, gena. I've decided on that one as well. Too great of a deal to pass up. Did you do stock optics or did you change them up?

Yeah, that's weird that the WYSIWG rock nems can't go priority when the others can. I assumed you'd paid for overnight shipping and so I was surprised you didn't get a shrimp or two. Now that I know you got stuff with priority shipping, that makes more sense!

Yes, it definitely is more work! Especially now with all the NPS stuff, I feel like I have quite the feeding routine. I've got like a whole shelf in the door of my fridge just for seahorse tank food now :lol: I'm not going to add a pico I have to deal with on top of that!

You do have your hands full. :)

I think they just forgot to change the ones I ordered to overnight shipping only. I saw in their WYSIWYG listings that in warmer months they will ship them priority mail. So that's good to know. Is it warm by you? We were in the 90s today...UGH!

I can't wait to see the 18k light, gena. I've decided on that one as well. Too great of a deal to pass up. Did you do stock optics or did you change them up?

I can't wait either! Mine could be here tomorrow. If not, then Friday. I guess I'm just getting stock optics. I didn't know about being able to change them to something else. I hope it will be ok!!!! :unsure: Do optics just change the intensity or something? I'm LED clueless. :lol:

Oh, that makes sense about the shipping. It is insanely hot there! I am so glad its cooler here! Its been in the 60's here during the day and the high 40's at night. Its really nice. I'm ready for it to get a bit colder though so I can start wearing my winter wardrobe. Its still a bit too warm for sweaters and winter coats.

Gena, optics just focus the LED beam. So if you had no optics, the light would spread out evenly in a hemisphere around the LED. 80 degree optics focus the light down to cone of light coming out of the LED with a spread of 80 degrees. Basically, it effects the spread of the LEDS. Lower angle optics focus the LEDs down to a sharper point, whereas higher angle or no optics give a wider spread. Lower angle optics are good if you have a deep tank so that you can concentrate the beam and get enough intensity at the bottom. On a shallower tank you usually want like 80 degree optics to get nice spread. The optics will also effect how high off the tank the light needs to be to avoid spotlighting. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm sure the stock optics will be just fine for this tank :)

The lenses allow for different angles of light and thus more spread and less intense light (120 degree lenses) or more intense light in a more directed path (60 degree lenses). I'm getting the 90 degree to ensure enough cover of my tank and enough light to grow corals as my tank is bigger than this one. I think yours will be fine. If not, you can order the lenses from them for like $0.50 a lens and according to Coral Compulsion, you can simply unscrew the front cap of the light, remove the old lenses, put on the new ones, and screw the cap back on and done!

Oh, that makes sense about the shipping. It is insanely hot there! I am so glad its cooler here! Its been in the 60's here during the day and the high 40's at night. Its really nice. I'm ready for it to get a bit colder though so I can start wearing my winter wardrobe. Its still a bit too warm for sweaters and winter coats.

Gena, optics just focus the LED beam. So if you had no optics, the light would spread out evenly in a hemisphere around the LED. 80 degree optics focus the light down to cone of light coming out of the LED with a spread of 80 degrees. Basically, it effects the spread of the LEDS. Lower angle optics focus the LEDs down to a sharper point, whereas higher angle or no optics give a wider spread. Lower angle optics are good if you have a deep tank so that you can concentrate the beam and get enough intensity at the bottom. On a shallower tank you usually want like 80 degree optics to get nice spread. The optics will also effect how high off the tank the light needs to be to avoid spotlighting. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm sure the stock optics will be just fine for this tank :)

Ok...that does make sense! Thank you!!!!!

I hear you on wanting to wear your winter wardrobe. I bought a cute ivory down vest and cute boots that I want to wear now!!!!! Plus a bunch of other stuff. :lol:

The lenses allow for different angles of light and thus more spread and less intense light (120 degree lenses) or more intense light in a more directed path (60 degree lenses). I'm getting the 90 degree to ensure enough cover of my tank and enough light to grow corals as my tank is bigger than this one. I think yours will be fine. If not, you can order the lenses from them for like $0.50 a lens and according to Coral Compulsion, you can simply unscrew the front cap of the light, remove the old lenses, put on the new ones, and screw the cap back on and done!

Sounds easy enough if I need to change it. Thanks for the explanation!!!!! :D

Ok...that does make sense! Thank you!!!!!

I hear you on wanting to wear your winter wardrobe. I bought a cute ivory down vest and cute boots that I want to wear now!!!!! Plus a bunch of other stuff. :lol:

You're welcome! I had to figure all that out when I did my DIY fixture for the main tank. :)

I bet that vest is cute! I got some new sweaters and boots and I also got some glittens! I'm ready to start wearing those, but high 60's is too warm for winter clothes. At least I'm going to Banff Springs Canada with my family in December to ski. That may be too cold for me though! I've been checking the weather for there and its been like 13 degrees! :lol: I really want it to be in like the low 50's and I'll be happy!

I was set on getting an ADA 60F for my second tank...now you got me interested in a pico. Much cheaper, must less maintenance. You are a bad influence =P.

I would be very disappointed if you didn't get a pico ;):lol:

Busy day for my little pico today. My new light/fixture came in. What a difference. So much brighter. My flower anemones were on the move because of it. I love the color so much more than the Skkye Light.

Got my KPA order of rock flower anemones. One white, one orange, and a freebie asst. The orange is really pretty, but squeezed itself into a crevice so I haven't seen it fully open yet. The white is small but very pretty. The assorted is cool too.

I also ordered some palys from buddythelion. One of which went in here. The pink rainbow palythoa...in love!!!! Very pretty.

In addition to all of this, I pulled the magician frag out and took it off of the plug. That plug was bothering me way too much. Looks MUCH more natural now. :)

pictures........

0d58829c-ad9c-475e-aef0-797305083652_zps

111413no2_zpse3335e9a.jpg

111413no3_zps56bd08d7.jpg

White flower to the left of the green flower.

111413no4_zps5c118182.jpg

Pink rainbow palys

111413no5_zps7d3cb74c.jpg

What a serene little tank you created there! That light looks sleek.

Thanks, Z!!! I kinda wish I went with the black fixture now, since you can see the white inside the tank (the white rectangle). Hopefully the caulerpa will grow fast and cover that up. :)

how did you get the magician off the frag plug?? i have some magicians coming in tomorrow =)

The plug was raised in the middle so I was able to cut that part off with my pliers. Hopefully yours will have a bunch of dried glue and you can just cut the glue/frag off without hurting the polyps. That probably makes no sense at all. :lol:

Woo hoo for picos! I am actually thinking about setting up another pico but haven't made up my mind 100% yet. It would be a 0.9 gallon tiny tank. I really do miss my 3 gallon though. It was awesome to see everything up close and you never missed anything like you do in a bigger tank. This tank looks great Gena, I love it.

Oh, that's so tiny! Very cool!!!! You should do it. I'm so glad I set mine up.

Thanks, jg!!! :D

Woo hoo for picos! I am actually thinking about setting up another pico but haven't made up my mind 100% yet. It would be a 0.9 gallon tiny tank. I really do miss my 3 gallon though. It was awesome to see everything up close and you never missed anything like you do in a bigger tank. This tank looks great Gena, I love it.

I really like the new light! I didn't see the white rectangle until you pointed it out. Its really not very noticeable.

Those rock flowers from KPA looks awesome! I really like the white one and I can't really see the orange one like you said, but its looks like its a nice bright orange from what I can see :)

Archived