Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Flower Box

gena

It's been a very long time since ive posted. I kind of took a hiatus for a while but im back. I need to start a thread for my tank. it went through a crash that I'm just now getting back in line so the tank looks a little empty since I lost most of my corals.

So sorry about the crash. Would love to see a tank update when you get some time :).

Isn't meteor shower cyphastrea one of the prettiest corals? I just love it. I have this little piece that grew from the mother colony in my tank. For some reason this one gets big lush polyps but the main piece doesn't. I wish the big one would perk up like this one :wub:.

IMG_9439_zps308ef0fc.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee Whiz Gena, those polyps!!!! :wub: They are enormous. Gorgeous.

I know!!!!! This little one gets more light than the other...maybe that's the difference? I always thought they liked shade though.

Oh wow! Those polyps look like pretty little flowers! I normally don't like that coral, but that's a cute little one!

I've just always been drawn to this coral. The combination of the blue and pink is striking and when it has big polyps like that, well :wub:.

I know!!!!! This little one gets more light than the other...maybe that's the difference? I always thought they liked shade though.

I've just always been drawn to this coral. The combination of the blue and pink is striking and when it has big polyps like that, well :wub:.

I have mine off center from the light and I don't see polyps like that. I also have the frag plug that has some on the plug like a ring w the center empty- that ones on the sand & showing no different so I'm not sure what they like either. I've never seen flowers but already seems to be spreading. I don't have much flat rock for it just to take off. Maybe I'll put the plug off to the side on the rock to the left of the grandis paly. Whatever, I just want it to do what yours is doing!!!

I have mine off center from the light and I don't see polyps like that. I also have the frag plug that has some on the plug like a ring w the center empty- that ones on the sand & showing no different so I'm not sure what they like either. I've never seen flowers but already seems to be spreading. I don't have much flat rock for it just to take off. Maybe I'll put the plug off to the side on the rock to the left of the grandis paly. Whatever, I just want it to do what yours is doing!!!

I wish I knew the secret to it's happiness!!!!! If I figure it out, I'll let you know :).

The meteor shower in my tank looks just like that. I don't know what the secret is but its definitely one of my favorite corals in the tank!

Do you have a whole colony that is fluffy like that? I'm jealous if so :).

yeah my whole colony is nice and fluffy. It stayed that way through my tank crash when all the other corals were dying and looking horrible. Must be doing something right, at least for the cyphastrea lol.

Thanks, Anna!!!! Nice to see you around again...I know it's been a while. Hope all is well with you :).

I'm good, busy with college and church. I'm thinking about setting up a pico, I converted my 7.5 into a FW planted, but I miss the SW side of things, and I've got a little 2.5 gallon glass cube sitting in the garage, calling to me(the trip to SeaWorld last month didn't help :P ). What did you think of the Coral Compulsion PAR30 you had on the pico you started with?

I'm good, busy with college and church. I'm thinking about setting up a pico, I converted my 7.5 into a FW planted, but I miss the SW side of things, and I've got a little 2.5 gallon glass cube sitting in the garage, calling to me(the trip to SeaWorld last month didn't help :P ). What did you think of the Coral Compulsion PAR30 you had on the pico you started with?

The par30 is a fine light but, depending on the dimensions of your tank, I would suggest the 90 degree optics. It made a huge difference for my tank.

My experiment didn't last long. I'm back to the nanobox Tide light :lol:. I've tweaked the color and I'm REALLY happy with it now.

It's not as pink as I would like, but it's less blue now. I guess I'm just not a fan of really blue light.

IMG_9469_zpsqnm3ikl7.jpg

IMG_9471_zpsaqb9z5ya.jpg

IMG_9470_zpshpautroi.jpg

Another thing I did was remove the two RIO pumps and put in the one TUNZE nano pump. Just trying to declutter and get more movement

in this tank. The trumpets are still adjusting to the extra flow but I think they'll be ok.

My string of pearls macroalgae is growing again now that the Tide is back on. Something about that light it just LOVES.

:wub: this tank. Why were you running two pumps versus the Tunze nano before? How do you even fit two pumps into this little thing? :lol:

What is the filter?

Aqua Clear 50

gorgeous!!

Thanks, Cindy :flower:.

:wub: this tank. Why were you running two pumps versus the Tunze nano before? How do you even fit two pumps into this little thing? :lol:

The Rios are pretty small. I had a 50 and a 90 running and it still wasn't enough flow. The Tunze nanostream is just a

smidge too much flow but so far things seem to be handling it ok. I took it off before because the sand was being

displaced. It still is, but the tank is more mature now so the sand isn't as displace-able or maybe I just found a

better position for the pump.

I have way more evaporation now with the AC50 filter on there. It's more open than the old filter. I'm topping

off twice a day instead of once a day. Looks like I'll need to get the ATO hooked up sooner than later.

still no sign of my gbg, gena. :(

i think it's going on two weeks. boo.

i only saw him for about 1.5 days.

i think he MAY still be alive, but i'm not

taking apart my rock work to find him. maybe

i'll look again in back chamber when i clean today.

still no sign of my gbg, gena. :(

i think it's going on two weeks. boo.

i only saw him for about 1.5 days.

i think he MAY still be alive, but i'm not

taking apart my rock work to find him. maybe

i'll look again in back chamber when i clean today.

Awww..that stinks :(. I wouldn't go through the trouble of taking apart the rock work either. Just grab a flashlight

and check in the back chamber..hopefully he'll be there fingerscrossed.

I knew you would come back. :)

Glad all is well and running again. Get a new FTS with light and I will share on FB. Looking great!

-Dave

Thanks you guys!!!!!

So......I bought a new coral for this tank. I wanted to get an ORA Grube's gorgonian. The only ORA I ever see is at the local

Petco :rolleyes:. So I stopped in there today. Low and behold, they had something. Now it wasn't marked as ORA.

But it was on a black frag plug and looked like the ORA frag plug. They were asking $24.99 for it. I figured, I like

it regardless if it's a Grube's or not. So I bought it. It's pretty mad right now. Hasn't peeked out any polyps yet, but

it was open at the store. The color is a nude/peachy pink shade. It's very pretty. Not like any other gorgonian

I've had before.

Here it is in the bag. It's bigger than I was expecting, but still fits in the tank :D.

DSC01559_zpsnlnkc0qq.jpg

IMG_9518_zpsldxucdvo.jpg

IMG_9511_zpsu2njabh7.jpg

Looks like he's sitting on a bean bag :)

IMG_9508_zpsxsudprtr.jpg

Yes, that is a Grube's :)

:happydance:

I thought so. Of course the guy at Petco was clueless. I was like, is that an ORA gorgonian? He was like, no. Those

would be like $50 plus :rolleyes:.

Either way, I was getting it cuz I liked it :). I just hope it does ok. I kinda man-handled it when I was removing it

from the plug LOL. I bought it with a couple of fleshless tips on the branches. I know those can grow back though with

proper care.

Yipppppyyyy....so excited they had one. And fun to buy a coral again. It had been soooo long :D.

bean bag crab chair! The next calendar pic winner!

:D It so looks like a bean bag crab chair LOL.

Yea, looks like my Grube :happydance: mine went through a phase where it didn't extend polyps for a week, so I wouldn't worry about yours. How could it not be happy in this tank? :lol:

And I love that pic of your crab!

Yea, looks like my Grube :happydance: mine went through a phase where it didn't extend polyps for a week, so I wouldn't worry about yours. How could it not be happy in this tank? :lol:

And I love that pic of your crab!

Thanks!!!!! Wooohooo :). How's the flow on yours? I'm hoping mine's not too strong. I read online it likes moderate flow. I could see this thing taking a week to open. It's still closed up tight.

Archived