Top Shelf Aquatics

Tank Durability

BrianC

I've always liked micro-reefs tanks, but I was wondering how strong they are. Specifically the one's with 3/8" acrylic. Would they be durable enough to survive transporting them in a car?

Never had one but I know people who has and say they are well built. Plus acrylic is extremely hard to crack.

You should be fine.

The only thing I would be worry about on transporting it, is scratching it. Acrylic scratches easily, but nothing a good bubble wrap can't solve :)

Never had one but I know people who has and say they are well built. Plus acrylic is extremely hard to crack.

You should be fine.

The only thing I would be worry about on transporting it, is scratching it. Acrylic scratches easily, but nothing a good bubble wrap can't solve :)

Ok thanks, just wanted to make sure before making the investment.

If they couldn't survive being in a car, there is no way they would survive shipping.

I mean with water/coral/rock inside, not packaged up for shipping.

Well I figure there are containers meant specifically for transporting coral and then there are standard tanks which would crack/leak, so these thick walled acrylic tanks must fall somewhere in between. So I guess the question was are these tanks above that threshold? I'm asking because I'm planning to move this tank around and I'd rather not tear it down and set it back up at the destination. I've tried that and it's just too much of a hassle. There would be minimal rock work which would all be secured along with all the coral. I might have a snail or two, but nothing else that moves.

There's no way to transport a tank with everything in it. Lol

That's crazy talk. :)

Just get some buckets and place rock and water in it. Then you're all set.

i tried to transport my betta one time in a 1 gallon bowl thingy. and only put minimal water in it. that did not go well for my passenger holding it HAHAHAHA. memories...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I've always liked micro-reefs tanks, but I was wondering how strong they are. Specifically the one's with 3/8" acrylic. Would they be durable enough to survive transporting them in a car?

Hi Brian,

Thank you for considering a build with us! Let me tackle your question head first. Last year in October I met with Cold Water Marine Aquatics to display my tanks at Reefapalooza.

Micro-Reefs LLC is located in the East Bay of San Francisco and I personally broke down two of my display tanks that were up and running for almost 1 year each.

They were both 6.2 gallons and one was tropical and the other temperate. The drive was roughly 350 miles down to the exhibit. I removed all the corals, anemones and critters + fish.

These live goods were transported in small plastic containers within a Styrofoam box, the plastic containers were so they didn't bump each other on the way down.

On the other hand, both aquariums were drained down to only leaving 1/4 water with the live rock, live sand. Both aquariums arrived safely to the show! Tropical tank was of 3/16 material while the temperate was of 3/8 inch material.

I was not worried about cracking the tanks as much as I was making sure they were not scratched up inside!

So, I hope that answers your question about durability on my tanks, yes I took them for a long drive with a lot of pumps do you know how pumpy the road is from SF to LA? Very boring but very bumpy! LOL

My first had experience did place them under stress and they both did well!

I know Islandoftiki is about to take his Micro-Reefs 10 gallon reef to Hawaii, maybe he can chime in and explain how he plans on making this awesome move.

Inquiring minds want to know... LOL

MG

Archived