Coral Vue Hydros

Nic's life's a beach Edge

andi.rahl

Nic, I tried searching to ID that gorgonian and I'm still not positive, but it might be a purple sea whip. There are some forms of them that have long segments without branches like that.

Kind of like this...

bio5.jpg

il_570xN.305000664.jpg

Week_6_-_Detail_3.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nic, I tried searching to ID that gorgonian and I'm still not positive, but it might be a purple sea whip. There are some forms of them that have long segments without branches like that.

thanks! I'll look that up. Should I make an ID thread? I was going to last night but I thought I'd wait to see if it recovers more first? I really don't know what to do other than to try to take care of it and hope it makes it. if it does then I'll just have to buy one that wasn't nearly baked in the sun on a beach ha.

Also, I just found this http://www.iloveshelling.com/blog/2010/02/06/purple-sea-fan/ after doing a google image search with what you called it. That's what mine looks like but smaller...I'm on the Gulf side of Florida, too.

Leptogorgia virgulata...I think...

that's what tamberav says, too. :)

oh and the pics look like it so far. I'm just no good at finding things out about coral. I'm still too new to this.

thanks! I'll look that up. Should I make an ID thread? I was going to last night but I thought I'd wait to see if it recovers more first? I really don't know what to do other than to try to take care of it and hope it makes it. if it does then I'll just have to buy one that wasn't nearly baked in the sun on a beach ha.

Why not make an ID thread? Won't hurt any :) If it doesn't make it, you can find a nice purple photosynthetic gorgonian for pretty cheap. It was going to die on the beach anyway, you might as well give it a shot!

Also, I just found this http://www.iloveshelling.com/blog/2010/02/06/purple-sea-fan/ after doing a google image search with what you called it. That's what mine looks like but smaller...I'm on the Gulf side of Florida, too.

that's what tamberav says, too. :)

That one is labeled as a purple sea whip. So yeah, it looks most like a purple sea whip to me. Now the question is, is it photosynthetic? I'm finding mixed info about whether purple sea whips are photosynthetic or NPS.

Why not make an ID thread? Won't hurt any :) If it doesn't make it, you can find a nice purple photosynthetic gorgonian for pretty cheap. It was going to die on the beach anyway, you might as well give it a shot!

That one is labeled as a purple sea whip. So yeah, it looks most like a purple sea whip to me. Now the question is, is it photosynthetic? I'm finding mixed info about whether purple sea whips are photosynthetic or NPS.

I will later :P I'm feeling too lazy right now haha. I hope it'll make it! it's had pretty nice pe in the past day or so. when I fed it some cyclop-eeze last night it got really fluffy looking for a while. Kp has a lot of gorgonians. I figured I could deal with shipping if I ordered from some places that do priority shipping for in the state.

that was exactly my logic in taking it, actually. I found 2, but the smaller one didn't make it at all :( It was sad.

I was finding mixed info on that, too...I'm just going to go with garf, kp, and your suggestions of doing a bit of feeding. If it's photosynthetic then it gets a nice treat. if it's not, it's getting fed. lol...so it seems win-win either way. :P

I have a purple sea whip I never feed and it has been thriving for months now. It looks exactly like yours actually. I'm sure it gets plenty of fish food though since I feed small foods mostly. Maybe I'll start target feeding mine now and see if it grows faster.

I have a purple sea whip I never feed and it has been thriving for months now. It looks exactly like yours actually. I'm sure it gets plenty of fish food though since I feed small foods mostly. Maybe I'll start target feeding mine now and see if it grows faster.

awesome! I'm still gonna target it like twice a week. Considering I don't have anything else I'm feeding just yet. I really want the two spot bimaculatus blenny, though, or a pair of rusty gobies...that'd fit in more with the florida beach thing I have going on than the blenny :P grr, I don't know what to dooo. lol.

awesome! I'm still gonna target it like twice a week. Considering I don't have anything else I'm feeding just yet. I really want the two spot bimaculatus blenny, though, or a pair of rusty gobies...that'd fit in more with the florida beach thing I have going on than the blenny :P grr, I don't know what to dooo. lol.

You should get some cool stuff from:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

Shipping should be cheap since hes from FL. He has rusy goby pairs and jawfish pairs!

You should get some cool stuff from:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/index.php

Shipping should be cheap since hes from FL. He has rusy goby pairs and jawfish pairs!

:D that's exactly where I found them, thank you! I love looking on this site. If I don't order a fish from him, a lot of the things I want are on the reduced shipping list. Which I think would be priority shipping rather than over night? <3

What do you guys thinking about me hanging my T5's up from the ceiling?

KP Aquatics (Sealife Inc) is an awesome company! Its a great place to get Florida collected corals, fish, sponges, etc. to go along with your Florida beach theme. My mated pair of jawfish are from them. A 10 gallon it too small for the jawfish, but it would be perfect for a mated pair of rusty gobies and/or neon gobies. And yes, KPA has some items that can be sent priority mail for only $15. I've done that several times and have never had any DOA's. Even the overnight shipping stuff would probably be cheaper for you as well if you're located in Florida.

KP Aquatics (Sealife Inc) is an awesome company! Its a great place to get Florida collected corals, fish, sponges, etc. to go along with your Florida beach theme. My mated pair of jawfish are from them. A 10 gallon it too small for the jawfish, but it would be perfect for a mated pair of rusty gobies and/or neon gobies. And yes, KPA has some items that can be sent priority mail for only $15. I've done that several times and have never had any DOA's. Even the overnight shipping stuff would probably be cheaper for you as well if you're located in Florida.
I don't like the neon gobies, but the rusty pair is adorable. I want to get a sponge from them - maybe the frilly yellow and red tree, both? :D I'll definitely look into it! I love their stock and I love that it'd go with my beachy themed tank like you guys said. :wub:

Sealife is great. I've ordered twice from them and always had a positive interaction.

I really want the pair of neons but I'm afraid they'd get chewed up by my friedmani. I ordered a pair of jawfish but they jumped ship even with a top on. :(

Sealife is great. I've ordered twice from them and always had a positive interaction.

I really want the pair of neons but I'm afraid they'd get chewed up by my friedmani. I ordered a pair of jawfish but they jumped ship even with a top on. :(

I've heard really great things about them from everyone here and from a few others. The neons are tiny, I'd be a bit worried too. I'd be sad if my fish jumped. I have to make or buy a lid of sorts. I wish my ex had given me the one I bought for him that he decided not to use after like 2 months. He then bitched at me when his firefish jumped out while he was at work and became fish jerky on the carpet.

Oh my god he's cute, too! jesus. so many choices. I love the gobies, though. My next coral is probably going to be a toadstool, though. I was thinking, scape-wise, that I could leave the left half of my tank more open, and make a kind of rock wall type deal on the right side? I just am not sure how to go about it yet. :P

Oh, and I'd just like to add that this obviously isn't going to be 100% Florida beach. I just want the look and feel to be like the beach near my house, but you guys have definitely helped me find fish that are appropriate and insanely cute, too.

Hermit crab is in a hole...should I try to pull him out or will he get out on his own? lol

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1605_zps1f1ca5d7.jpg.html'>IMAG1605_zps1f1ca5d7.jpg

Does anyone know what these are? They're finally open after having them in the tank since Sunday:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1604_zpsbe0bb99b.jpg.html'>IMAG1604_zpsbe0bb99b.jpg

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1594_zps5b02fc26.jpg.html'>IMAG1594_zps5b02fc26.jpg

I think the tiny hermit might have changed shells?

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1598_zpsb3895ca6.jpg.html'>IMAG1598_zpsb3895ca6.jpg

llama roadkill
Hermit crab is in a hole...should I try to pull him out or will he get out on his own? lol

IMAG1605_zps1f1ca5d7.jpg

Does anyone know what these are? They're finally open after having them in the tank since Sunday:

IMAG1604_zpsbe0bb99b.jpgIMAG1594_zps5b02fc26.jpg

I think the tiny hermit might have changed shells?

IMAG1598_zpsb3895ca6.jpg

I want to see this tank in 3 months. Definitely going to be TOTM worthy by then! I love it now!

I want to see this tank in 3 months. Definitely going to be TOTM worthy by then! I love it now!

whaaat? You really think so?! I hope I can get more stuff in there by then lol. I'm so broke all the time that's why I don't add stuff frequently like most people do...

Orange seems to be sponges.

I was kind of wondering if they were sponges or tunicates! There are orange-y pink, purple, and 1 brown one. I think you asked me yesterday if part of the gorg has already had some growth? I am thinking it has a bit, but not where you were asking.It's pretty exciting to me that something I found that I didn't think was going to make it might actually end up being okay. :D

oh, oh, I found my green mushy except he's mostly red now - does that mean he needs more shade?? (he used to be really green with red bumps):

IMAG1609_zpsddd10739.jpg

Mole crab (1 of 2):

IMAG1608_zpsd3f69e2e.jpg

also ignore the glass. I will clean it in a moment XD

woo hoo! are you excited? I'm excited and it has nothing to do with me lol. :P:wub:

Curse you, silly state. :( I hope they get back to you soon!

Oh, speaking of, Instant Ocean got back to me in regards to what to do with the rest of the cyclop-eeze. They said that I could just fold it over and paperclip it for up to a week. Kind of sucks because I'm really only attempting to feed one thing with it, and it could probably last 2 weeks or so. Once I use it up, I will find an alternative source of food. I want to get the freeze dried stuff by Argent Labs instead.

woo hoo! are you excited? I'm excited and it has nothing to do with me lol. :P:wub:

Curse you, silly state. :( I hope they get back to you soon!

Oh, speaking of, Instant Ocean got back to me in regards to what to do with the rest of the cyclop-eeze. They said that I could just fold it over and paperclip it for up to a week. Kind of sucks because I'm really only attempting to feed one thing with it, and it could probably last 2 weeks or so. Once I use it up, I will find an alternative source of food. I want to get the freeze dried stuff by Argent Labs instead.

Can't be kept longer if refrigerated? maybe frozen?

Archived