Cultivated Reef

Nic's life's a beach Edge

andi.rahl

Hmm. Looks like some sort of anemone to me. I feel stupid asking but are the keys the area that you can find zoas just growing on rocks right off the beach? I know there's tropical fish everywhere, but I can't wait to go snorkeling and actually see everything in person, and I don't think everyone else would want to take a boat ride 5 miles out to the big reef every day with me. Lol.

that's what I was starting to think after finally seeing them opened up more, too - this was the most they've opened since I found them. when they were closed they definitely looked like a zoa or paly. I just can't tell. either way, I'll take care of em :P

I honestly don't know, I'm sorry! I haven't been to the keys in like 15 years...I only went once with my dad when I was like 10-11. I remember that I loved snorkeling, though. I've really been wanting to go again. I will push for it next summer. <3

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, and don't worry about the sun screen. I never wore it but always went to the beach for a few hours and went home. Fast forward about 5 years of hardly ever beachin it up, I took my shirt off at the beach for two days straight to reveal my pasty body to the public. Good God... I have a very high tolerance for pain, having torn my ACL completely off and ripping my meniscus down the middle and STILL finishing gym class, walking home and jumping thru my window, I wanted to cry from that sunburn. If I was asked what I would want to do, experience the injury again, along with surgery and recovery, or have that sunburn again.... Let's just say I still have my crutches.

Oh, and somebody started a thread on blueberry gorg. Care. Being that it's the hardest ever to keep alive, it couldn't hurt to do some research thru the links posted for some tips. :)

Oh, and somebody started a thread on blueberry gorg. Care. Being that it's the hardest ever to keep alive, it couldn't hurt to do some research thru the links posted for some tips. :)

Thanks! I'll read up on it in a bit. :D So is the Keys trip a vacation or a family thing? just curious.

I'm going to go with Leptogorgia virgulata

Can be purple, has white polyps, native to florida.

http://species-identification.org/species.php?species_group=caribbean_diving_guide&id=367

http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Leptog_virgul.htm

Thanks, I'll read them now :D

oh and since I'm obsessed with this lil guy:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1582_zpsd2ffc949.jpg.html'>IMAG1582_zpsd2ffc949.jpg

Thanks! I'll read up on it in a bit. :D So is the Keys trip a vacation or a family thing? just curious.

Thanks, I'll read them now :D

oh and since I'm obsessed with this lil guy:

IMAG1582_zpsd2ffc949.jpg

My girlfriends parents are snow birding down there for a couple of months. My girlfriends going down there for 2 weeks and I'm going down for 9 days.

I think I misse a post. What is that little guy? Sorta looks like a hermit without a shell.

Name him!!!

Here is a pic for comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crabby_taxonomist/7244495248/in/photostream/

Any ideas? I haven't named him because I don't know what his name should be. lol.

oooh that one is pretty. It could be that one?

My girlfriends parents are snow birding down there for a couple of months. My girlfriends going down there for 2 weeks and I'm going down for 9 days. I think I misse a post. What is that little guy? Sorta looks like a hermit without a shell.

ohhh, awesome.

nope he's tiny and white and his shell is white! I used some sand from the beach in my tank, after sifting it with 2 different sized strainers, I found him, and decided to keep him. - I also found some nasty looking worms that I bet would be no good in an aquarium, a mean looking crab, and some sort of pesty looking pods (can't think of what they're called, gotta look at one of the hitchhiker guides).

Any ideas? I haven't named him because I don't know what his name should be. lol.

oooh that one is pretty. It could be that one?

ohhh, awesome.

nope he's tiny and white and his shell is white! I used some sand from the beach in my tank, after sifting it with 2 different sized strainers, I found him, and decided to keep him.

Yah, I am thinking it is that one. Everything matches up anyways :)

I am horrible at names. I call my mandarin's.. "blue", "red", "spots", and "bones" (skinny).

The only inhabitants that got "real" names were my mantises, Ivy and Bane.

I would prob just call him Ivory (girl) or Mr. White (boy) or something lol. If I make the names too complicated, I just forget them :P

I really regret getting rid of the pretty red sponge I found. Now I haven't seen another! I saw a yellow ball sponge, but it was clearly dying. So I don't even bother. :/ I'm gonna be looking on the other part of the beach near where I used to live next time I go because that's where I found all the neat stuff I had before my last f up with my tank.

You're making Florida sound better and better to me. I can't wait to see all the life down there.

:D it's fun! I only go to the beach before noon, though. Otherwise I turn into a lobster even with sunscreen on. Take your time, for sure. At least my mom puts up with it, because I pick through wads of macros looking for snails and crabs. Sometimes I bring them home and others I just look then let them go. The mean little crab I mentioned earlier committed suicide, by the way. I brought the sand home with me in a bucket...he scurried out of the strainer, onto the ground in the patio, and into the pool...hello chlorine bath. I'm sure you'll love it!

Yah, I am thinking it is that one. Which is hardy and photosynthetic. Everything matches up anyways :)

I am horrible at names. I call my mandarin's.. "blue", "red", "spots", and "bones" (skinny).

The only inhabitants that got "real" names were my mantises, Ivy and Bane.

I would prob just call him Ivory (girl) or Mr. White (boy) or something lol.

One of the garf pages said that gorgs could benefit from feeding anyways. I mean it does look better than it did on Sunday for sure!

aww. I wish I could keep a mandy. :'( Batman fan, eh?

I think I'll go with Ivory, I like it! It's pretty.

I'm trying to find harvesting laws right now. :)

From my understanding, as long as I have a fishing permit, stay out of protected areas, take a rock no larger than an inch diameter, (which I wouldn't take any rock anyway) and only collect mangrove pods that are on land, I should be good. Right? I guess tey don't want everyone and their mothers taking 1000+ zoanthid colonies, so it's kind f hard to actually find a reputable source of info.

I'm trying to find harvesting laws right now. :) From my understanding, as long as I have a fishing permit, stay out of protected areas, take a rock no larger than an inch diameter, (which I wouldn't take any rock anyway) and only collect mangrove pods that are on land, I should be good. Right? I guess tey don't want everyone and their mothers taking 1000+ zoanthid colonies, so it's kind f hard to actually find a reputable source of info.

I think maybe a shoreline fishing permit? I don't know what you intend to take...I've never gotten stopped or anything for taking things washed up on the beach. I'm not sure what you'd need for taking things from near the reef or the water. There are certain gorgonians that can't be taken - they both look like ginormous fans, though, and yeah, I don't really know beyond that.

These little guys were on the base of the second gorg that I picked up, but he was far too dried out to make it :/ So I just kept the base with them on it

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1585_zpsd901eba9.jpg.html'>IMAG1585_zpsd901eba9.jpg

I'm interested in snails, macro algae, zoanthids, and ricordea, but absolutely don't want to do it illegally. I finally found their link to email them directly, so my questions have been posted. Let's hope your goverment is quicker to reply than my goverment. Lol. A lot of people told me to just get a fishers permit and I can take whatever I want that not in protected areas, but there are a lot of misinformed people out there also.

I really regret getting rid of the pretty red sponge I found. Now I haven't seen another! I saw a yellow ball sponge, but it was clearly dying. So I don't even bother. :/ I'm gonna be looking on the other part of the beach near where I used to live next time I go because that's where I found all the neat stuff I had before my last f up with my tank.

:D it's fun! I only go to the beach before noon, though. Otherwise I turn into a lobster even with sunscreen on. Take your time, for sure. At least my mom puts up with it, because I pick through wads of macros looking for snails and crabs. Sometimes I bring them home and others I just look then let them go. The mean little crab I mentioned earlier committed suicide, by the way. I brought the sand home with me in a bucket...he scurried out of the strainer, onto the ground in the patio, and into the pool...hello chlorine bath. I'm sure you'll love it!

One of the garf pages said that gorgs could benefit from feeding anyways. I mean it does look better than it did on Sunday for sure!

aww. I wish I could keep a mandy. :'( Batman fan, eh?

I think I'll go with Ivory, I like it! It's pretty.

:)

Ivy's colors are red and green. It fits :)

I'm interested in snails, macro algae, zoanthids, and ricordea, but absolutely don't want to do it illegally. I finally found their link to email them directly, so my questions have been posted. Let's hope your goverment is quicker to reply than my goverment. Lol. A lot of people told me to just get a fishers permit and I can take whatever I want that not in protected areas, but there are a lot of misinformed people out there also.

That's what a lot of people have told me, too. lol. I'd still take in moderation though. Maybe Clayalaleona would know more? This whole taking things from the beach thing is really new to me. I'm gonna look for different mangroves next time I go. I've read something like 1 dormant mangrove for every 5 gallons or 1 every 10 for one that has roots and leaves.

:)

Ivy's colors are red and green. It fits :)

She's my favorite villainess... ;):naughtydance::wub: lol

Also, Pat, when you find out what you need to take things will you let me know please? I'd like to get something official so I don't feel like I'm doing something illegal every time I take a piece of plant XD

I threw a mangrove in my fish pond last year and it actually lived but won't make it through the winter. I want to grow one in a pot and bring it in the basement during the cold months and during the summer have a full blown mangrove in my Long Island back yard. Lol.

I don't think how many you have should matter too much. I had 5 in my 12 with a 20h sump.

I will absolutely let you know. I asked them straight forward and also asked for a link with all guidelines and laws. I'm hoping to cut trough some red tape with back and forth emails.

I threw a mangrove in my fish pond last year and it actually lived but won't make it through the winter. I want to grow one in a pot and bring it in the basement during the cold months and during the summer have a full blown mangrove in my Long Island back yard. Lol.

I don't think how many you have should matter too much. I had 5 in my 12 with a 20h sump.

oh my god, jealous of that idea. lol. Mainly because I love basements - I totally think I'm in the wrong state; my friend in Minneapolis told me she has snow, and I about jumped on the phone to get plane tickets to visit her. lol. I want to see your backyard...I'm always curious about people's houses and such. I'll post a pic of my pool tomorrow ;):P

really? 5? neat! I was just going off of some article that I found when I googled what was appropriate since it's floating in my main tank. I don't have a sump or anything planned for this tank.

So, any thoughts on a small skimmer on my tank since I do intent to maybe get other corals that need to be fed, or should I just stay on top of water changes when/if that happens?

I will absolutely let you know. I asked them straight forward and also asked for a link with all guidelines and laws. I'm hoping to cut trough some red tape with back and forth emails.

thanks! Hopefully it's not too hard to get what you need. I think if I knew what I needed I could go get the license at wal-mart even ha, but since you're not a resident...I don't know how that'd work.

Hmm... No sump is a toughy for a skimmer recommendation. I'm not a big fan of hob's, so I never really researched them. I know of two with good reviews from others on nano reef, so I'll let you know if I remember the names. My backyard is nothing to look at. Lol. Dead grass, a pond ripped apart because I'm in the middle of overhauling it again, about 75 crab pots/eel traps, 2 boat trailers, a boat, and a beat up old shed. Lol. I've got a long spring cleaning ahead of me. The mrs and I actually have plans to get to Florida permenantly.

I do love snow though. I can't wait for the first snowfall here.

Hmm... No sump is a toughy for a skimmer recommendation. I'm not a big fan of hob's, so I never really researched them. I know of two with good reviews from others on nano reef, so I'll let you know if I remember the names. My backyard is nothing to look at. Lol. Dead grass, a pond ripped apart because I'm in the middle of overhauling it again, about 75 crab pots/eel traps, 2 boat trailers, a boat, and a beat up old shed. Lol. I've got a long spring cleaning ahead of me. The mrs and I actually have plans to get to Florida permenantly.

I do love snow though. I can't wait for the first snowfall here.

I though the hob's were cute XD I mean it's like 9 gallons of water, if that, I don't need a beast of a skimmer x_x I'm pretty sure fluval or hagen makes a hob skimmer, but I can't remember the name either. I don't even know if it's necessary. I can just do a small water change if I need to, right? I'd still like to know the names of the two you mentioned out of curiosity, and a just in case kind of thing. :P

where in Florida would you guys want to move? I want to move out of Florida, personally.

also what the hell?! I KNOW I put my snail into the tank, but I literally have not seen him in days! T_T

Water changes can never hurt :)

We have no idea yet. My girlfriend really, really hates the cold though and I really, REALLY hate the cost of living on Long Island. Lol. It's a win win situation.

Water changes can never hurt :) We have no idea yet. My girlfriend really, really hates the cold though and I really, REALLY hate the cost of living on Long Island. Lol. It's a win win situation.

I'd probably hate the cost of living there, too. lol. I love the cold and hate the heat >.>

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1587_zps6f6405b7.jpg.html'>IMAG1587_zps6f6405b7.jpg

Chise is terrified and intrigued at the same time, it's kind of funny. My ex scared her into the pool when we were on the patio smoking a cigarette once. It was quite by accident; he coughed and she was at the edge of the pool then she ended up jumping in. Poor thing. So the moment she realized this was a box of water while I was holding her, she sank all of her claws into me like she thought I was going to throw her in! Now she gets all tremble-y when she's near it, but she can't seem to stay away from it. I can't imagine how she will be when I actually get fish in it. hah.

Archived