Top Shelf Aquatics

Nic's life's a beach Edge

andi.rahl

I have a shoreline fishing permit, so a lot of the stuff in my tank will come from my local beaches. Coral, likely, not so much, but I have found a couple of gorgonians in the past. :P Also: *will denote from the beach

Equipment:

The topless Edge is back
Ac20 - cracked and burnt out the motor so I just use it for rubble
Aqueon filter rated at 100gph

Full spectrum reef breeder led fixture
25w heater
koralia nano 240

Substrate+Rock:
8lbs of rock

7lbs sand

Cuc:

1 astrea snail

7 porcelain crabs - blue, green, red, and brown* <3

Coral:

1 random zoa
leather
xenia
Kenya tree

blue bumpy mushroom hh

Macros*;
Halimeda

some type of caulerpa
other macros that names are unknown to me*

hh:
several ball nems - most are orange with white tips, 2 are light green with white tips*
black tunicates* (or possibly a sponge according to another NR goer)*

Several feathery worms - the ones that form soft tubes*

other stuff:
sg: 1.024-1.025
temp 76-78

04/07/2015:

IMAG4769_zpsim34buoe.jpg

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macros with my duncan making a guest appearance:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1527_zpsc6afd8db.jpg.html'>IMAG1527_zpsc6afd8db.jpg

Tiniest white hermit crab eveeer - he's King of the Hill:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1532_zps511779d4.jpg.html'>IMAG1532_zps511779d4.jpg

Q on Picard's shell not sure what was going on there:
http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1533_zps4d927eef.jpg.html'>IMAG1533_zps4d927eef.jpg

The supposed gorgonian (please someone tell me exactly what it is if you know:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/shinynic/media/IMAG1528_zps03ea69a7.jpg.html'>IMAG1528_zps03ea69a7.jpg

Is that nsw? Got a better pic if the gorg? From here it looks like an nps, but it's hard to say.

Sorry, I'm not very good with abbreviations - nsw? I can take a better pic or attempt to...It's not open right now, though. I figured that I'd attempt to rescue it; if it doesn't make it, it's not like it's something I paid for. It was just going to dry up on the beach and die - it was up past the low tide point so I didn't think it was going to get washed back out.

Awesome, I love area specific tanks! I used to have an awesome one when living on the Texas Gulf coast. Great start!

Me too! Granted, I don't know where my corals or previous livestock originated from, but still, most of the the tank is from the beach. :D I bet your tank was awesome! Do you have any pics?

Edit: also, I will probably be getting fish that aren't native to the gulf. :/ I can't go diving for things anyways.

Nsw= natural slat water. The reason I ask is because nsw can sometimes be a little cloudy and it looks like there's some cloudiness there.

A good rule of thumb is tan or brown polyps means its a photosynthetic gorg. Any other color means its non photosynthetic and can be a real pain in the ass to keep alive.

Nsw= natural slat water. The reason I ask is because nsw can sometimes be a little cloudy and it looks like there's some cloudiness there. A good rule of thumb is tan or brown polyps means its a photosynthetic gorg. Any other color means its non photosynthetic and can be a real pain in the ass to keep alive.

ohhh, no. It's not natural saltwater. I poured some water in too fast and it stirred up a bit of the sand bed. Thankfully only a small part so it cleared up pretty quickly. I think they are white polyps...Maybe an off white? lol. I can't really tell. Either way, I found a recipe for food to feed them and I have cyclopeeze. Does that work? :D also, what do I do with the rest of the packet? I barely used any of it, and I don't want to waste it. Can I put the cyclopeeze in a jar and use it until it's gone? It says that it doesn't need to be refrigerated...I've just never really used it before.

This is during attempted feeding :P

IMAG1541_zps58a8e92e.jpg

should I have cut the fleshless branches off? I was hoping, if I could keep it alive, that eventually it'd grow back over what's there? I don't know much about them :/

So I just realized there is an absolutely tiny barnacle growing on the bigger barnacle on the gorgonian! cute. (by tiny, I mean like tip of a pin tiny. I don't think I could get a picture if I tried :/)

omgomgomg

That's about how I feel. Lol.

This guy is a spaz, I was watching him pick at the rock he's on then suddenly he walks to the edge then falls off like in a cartoon.

IMAG1547_zps26bb8f67.jpg

love the polyp that's directly facing me in this pic. so cute:

IMAG1539_zpsd7d084a1.jpg

here's a pic with cleared up water:

IMAG1540_zps5bf31c87.jpg

Those macro's look great. I think the gorg or w/e will grow more "arms".

thanks! do you think it'll grow back over the existing arms, too? If not, I might just cut the parts off that have pe and start new frags....just glue em to pieces of rubble. I'm waiting to see if they get better though. If not, I'll cut them off, if so...well yay either way. I just hope they don't know.

Do you know anything about cyclop-eeze? I get some from petsmart, but it's the kind that's in gel. I tried messaging the company asking if I could save the rest of the packet once it's been open because I don't want to waste it, but so far I haven't heard back...I'd rather just get freeze dried but I didn't have the money to order it off amazon or wherever. :/

Gel? I have some but it is a frozen kind. I didn't know it came in gel form. Maybe put it in the fridge?

I think its just best to snip the dead parts off as the dead parts can cause necrosis or something like that. I only have 1 gorg so haven't had that problem *crosses fingers*

Gel? I have some but it is a frozen kind. I didn't know it came in gel form. Maybe put it in the fridge?

I think its just best to snip the dead parts off as the dead parts can cause necrosis or something like that. I only have 1 gorg so haven't had that problem *crosses fingers*

it's the instant ocean brand. I for some reason didn't realize it was in a gel until I opened it -_- I'll try that. I really don't like it, though. I wish I could return it :/

I'm still gonna give it a few more days, though, before I do anything. The flesh comes off really easily and that's why I haven't messed with it. I don't want to kill it, ya know? It's so pretty :wub: plus, part of the twiggy bits have other things living on them. like barnacles and hh z/p's. So I don't really want to mess them up either. ugh, we'll see.

I doubt you will either as I'm sure you get a full, healthy piece to begin with. Mine was washed up on the beach, drying out in the sand, missing all of its flesh except on what you see in the pics...It'd be awesome if it'd recover or grow more, though when it's not all stressed.

it's the instant ocean brand. I for some reason didn't realize it was in a gel until I opened it -_- I'll try that. I really don't like it, though. I wish I could return it :/

I'm still gonna give it a few more days, though, before I do anything. The flesh comes off really easily and that's why I haven't messed with it. I don't want to kill it, ya know? It's so pretty :wub: plus, part of the twiggy bits have other things living on them. like barnacles and hh z/p's. So I don't really want to mess them up either. ugh, we'll see.

I doubt you will either as I'm sure you get a full, healthy piece to begin with. Mine was washed up on the beach, drying out in the sand, missing all of its flesh except on what you see in the pics...It'd be awesome if it'd recover or grow more, though when it's not all stressed.

I would rather collect it myself. I think that would have a sort of "cool" feeling to it. They are pretty hardy but seem to grow a bit slow. You saved it from becoming coral jerky :)

I would rather collect it myself. I think that would have a sort of "cool" feeling to it. They are pretty hardy but seem to grow a bit slow. You saved it from becoming coral jerky :)

It was amazing to find it! I was so happy the rest of the day, and I'm still pretty thrilled. I just put a bit of cyclopeeze in the tank and the few things I do have seem to like it. Hell the gorg has most of its polyps out and looks all puffy right now. I decided since no one can tell me one way or another, for sure, if it is or isnt photosynthetic that I would just feed the tank and see if it helps. :P

Hey nic, it's looking good! The gorg is very nice but I honestly can't tell if those are colored polyps or not. Lol. Are you in Florida or California? Sometime in February I'm taking a trip down to the keys and am hoping to find some stuff on the beach. It'll be my first time out of New York for an extended time other than New Hampshire.

Do you have a pic of the hh zoas?

My guess would be it is photosynthetic since I would assume it came from shallow water.

I honestly couldn't tell you. :P

from googling the crap out of it, I still can't figure it out. I'm hope it's photosynthetic, but I'm prepared either way. :P

I'm gonna post pics in the ID section and see what people come up with.

Hey nic, it's looking good! The gorg is very nice but I honestly can't tell if those are colored polyps or not. Lol. Are you in Florida or California? Sometime in February I'm taking a trip down to the keys and am hoping to find some stuff on the beach. It'll be my first time out of New York for an extended time other than New Hampshire.

Do you have a pic of the hh zoas?

thanks, Pat! They look pretty white to me...here's another picture:

IMAG1573_zps91a824ea.jpg

I live in Floridia land lol. oooh, awesome! I have been trying to get my mom to take a trip down there...I hope you find some stuff, too. Be sure to wear lots of sunscreen and reapply regularly :P Don't need you to turn crispy.

I'm starting to question if they are z/p's even haha. they're just brown little polyps of some sort with creepy skirts:

IMAG1567_zps25cbcb6a.jpg

Sorry they're so hard to see, my camera just doesn't want to focus on em. :/

Hmm. Looks like some sort of anemone to me. I feel stupid asking but are the keys the area that you can find zoas just growing on rocks right off the beach? I know there's tropical fish everywhere, but I can't wait to go snorkeling and actually see everything in person, and I don't think everyone else would want to take a boat ride 5 miles out to the big reef every day with me. Lol.

That is a really nice colored gorg. Are those polyps re growing to the right in your last picture?

Archived