Top Shelf Aquatics

40B Tang Hangout

GHill762

Nice build, everything looks good

my only concern is that you used acrylic baffles in a glass tank for your sump. That might hold for a while but acrylic doesn't bond well to glass. Might want to consider that. =\

Following along, need some more Ideas for my 58G Oceanic build that has the same footprint as a 40B

Nice build, everything looks good

my only concern is that you used acrylic baffles in a glass tank for your sump. That might hold for a while but acrylic doesn't bond well to glass. Might want to consider that. =\

Following along, need some more Ideas for my 58G Oceanic build that has the same footprint as a 40B

Thanks!

I'm not concerned about the acrylic one bit.. I rough the surface with sandpaper before using silicone, my other sump is just fine, it's nice and solid and it's been running over a year and it was made the exact same way..

if you read online, plenty of people use acrylic baffles in a glass sump, it's not uncommon, and people always say it's not going to bond, but I've never read any stories of it coming loose.. most people that have tried it have no problem with it.

I am a little concerned that the baffles are a little thin, the first baffle has a little flex (<1/8", so not a lot of flex).. but if a baffle busts it's not the end of the world.. it's not going to flood the floor or anything, lol..

it's wet, I've just been too lazy to update.. the skimmer is taking forever to break in, it's been overflowing for about 3 days straight.. I've got a CUC coming from reefcleaners, and I'm hoping to transfer my livestock over from the 15g this weekend..

Thanks!

I'm not concerned about the acrylic one bit.. I rough the surface with sandpaper before using silicone, my other sump is just fine, it's nice and solid and it's been running over a year and it was made the exact same way..

if you read online, plenty of people use acrylic baffles in a glass sump, it's not uncommon, and people always say it's not going to bond, but I've never read any stories of it coming loose.. most people that have tried it have no problem with it.

I am a little concerned that the baffles are a little thin, the first baffle has a little flex (<1/8", so not a lot of flex).. but if a baffle busts it's not the end of the world.. it's not going to flood the floor or anything, lol..

it's wet, I've just been too lazy to update.. the skimmer is taking forever to break in, it's been overflowing for about 3 days straight.. I've got a CUC coming from reefcleaners, and I'm hoping to transfer my livestock over from the 15g this weekend..

I mean Im not so much concerned about the baffle not staying but acrylic to my knowledge does expand and contract due to temperature. if you left a little give I guess it'll be fine just would be worry that the expansion would pop the glass. Then again you said you use 1/8" against a 3/8" glass the baffle will prob break before the glass.

I do really like the white baffle look

This is my sump

IMG_17931_zps411c97b3.jpg

First chamber is my ATO reservoir, 2nd is drain and skimming, 3rd fuge, and 4th return with baffles and sponge between 3rd and 4th

Currently there's a black acrylic piece to shield light from the skimming chamber

Thinking about adding some white acrylic or nylon to the side of the ATO chamber.

is that a 20L? I didn't have room, I built the stand just a hair too tight.. I really wish I had thought of that before building the stand, but the thought didn't even cross my mind that it'd be an issue.. you did some clean silicone work, good job.. I wasn't so neat with it, but it's a sump not a DT.. also, I laid the silicone on heavy because it has to hold the acrylic in place..

I don't remember what thickness the acrylic is, I meant there is less than 1/8" flex.. I left a little less than an 1/8" gap between the glass and acrylic on each side, expansion won't be a problem. this is the exact same acrylic I used for my smaller 5g sump I'm running now with no issues.. if the baffles give out I'll rethink it but not a big deal.. I also like the white acrylic, which is why I went with it again.. I think it looks nice..

my ATO reservoir (for now) is a 7g water jug next to the stand, looks like I'm using about a 1/2g per day in top-off water..

I mean Im not so much concerned about the baffle not staying but acrylic to my knowledge does expand and contract due to temperature. if you left a little give I guess it'll be fine just would be worry that the expansion would pop the glass. Then again you said you use 1/8" against a 3/8" glass the baffle will prob break before the glass.

I do really like the white baffle look

This is my sump

IMG_17931_zps411c97b3.jpg

First chamber is my ATO reservoir, 2nd is drain and skimming, 3rd fuge, and 4th return with baffles and sponge between 3rd and 4th

Currently there's a black acrylic piece to shield light from the skimming chamber

Thinking about adding some white acrylic or nylon to the side of the ATO chamber.

you could paint 3 sides of the ATO reservoir too, and use a peice of tape to mask a vertical strip to show how much water is left..

Nice sump ! I had to go with a 15 because I built my stand too narrow without thinking about a sump...I would have loved to have used a 20L. Oh well lol.

Looking forward to the stock transfer :)

• Like 1

Nice sump ! I had to go with a 15 because I built my stand too narrow without thinking about a sump...I would have loved to have used a 20L. Oh well lol.

Looking forward to the stock transfer :)

That's exactly what I did.. I brought home a 20l and damn near broke it trying to get it in (and I nearly had it in).. I think it would have worked just fine if I de-rimmed it.. but I just went with a 20H to make life a little easier.. but now I know to measure and plan for the sump too :slap:

That's exactly what I did.. I brought home a 20l and damn near broke it trying to get it in (and I nearly had it in).. I think it would have worked just fine if I de-rimmed it.. but I just went with a 20H to make life a little easier.. but now I know to measure and plan for the sump too :slap:

I was there too trying to fit a 20H into the space under my 45 Cube did now work....

That sump is 33L I believe, measures 36", going under my 58 Oceanic, 36"L. Haven't build stand yet so stand is going to be about 40 inches instead to accommodate the sump.

And we have water! The rock work isn't final, and all the rubble and crap on the sand will go away.. But this is where it's at. Hoping to get everything transferred over this weekend. I tossed a couple frags I don't care about into the tank to see how they do, we shall see! So far I'm loving the setup, the bigger tank, the light, everything. The mag pump is a bit loud but it's getting quieter I think, and I think the skimmer is finally done overflowing..

Also, the rock on the right is going to the sump, all my rock in my 15g will go on the right..

20131114_171241-1-1_zps46ff03a6.jpg20131114_171350_zps5a3c32b4.jpg20131114_171437-1_zpsc9229bc5.jpg

• Like 7

Looking good.

thanks! I actually like the scape better in person than in pictures.. That middle front section of the rock pile is a pedestal for my clam if it'll fit there, if it doesn't I'll put something else there like a bta..
Did we compare notes? Your tank (while a lot cleaner than my marineland pos) sure does have a lot of similar products attached. Looking good though!
Lol our list is very similar.. And thanks!

I like you're scape too, does your marine land have black seams? I wish that was an option around here I hate clear seams, black looks so much nicer.

I miss my 40B. Looking good :)

Looks good!

Thanks!

Water water everywhere!! :) definitely been taking tips and inspiration following this build! how you finding the lights still?

I'm still loving the lights, especially now that I figured out how to turn the LCD screen off.. my only complaint would be that with the layout, there is more white in the center of the tank than at the edges, it's noticeable to me, but nobody else that's seen the tank has noticed it until I point it out..

well, my skimmer is back to overflowing.. any tips to speed up the break-in process? anyone else with a BM curve5 have a long break-in? it's been overflowing since monday.. If I turn it off and back on it quits overflowing for an hour or two, but then right back to overflowing again. I think it's in about 8" of water, so it's already below manufacturer recomendations..

Odd.....I have three of them and had no issues with any of them when it came time to install them - I did no vinegar "runs" with them either (just rinsed them quick and plopped them right in), but maybe that will work here with this one? The only time mine ever overflow is when I put a new filter sock in - I turn them off for a bit and they run well after this however.

I did find that 8" is the "sweet spot" with them when it comes to running depth though... :)

Odd.....I have three of them and had no issues with any of them when it came time to install them - I did no vinegar "runs" with them either (just rinsed them quick and plopped them right in), but maybe that will work here with this one? The only time mine ever overflow is when I put a new filter sock in - I turn them off for a bit and they run well after this however.

I did find that 8" is the "sweet spot" with them when it comes to running depth though... :)

well boggers.. If it doesn't calm down soon I guess I'll be ripping it out and cleaning it..

I didn't do anything to clean it before putting it in so maybe it has some residual oils on it or something.

Lol our list is very similar.. And thanks!

I like you're scape too, does your marine land have black seams? I wish that was an option around here I hate clear seams, black looks so much nicer.

Yup black seams.... Marineland did a TERRIBLE job with the seams and in cleaning them and made one worse but oh well.

ironic that I wanted a 20L but had to settle for a 15 as well because of the stand AND I used acrylic baffles, one flexed and popped out of the silicone but oh well I still have some separate chambers.

Following along, looks like we'll be up and running nearly the same time!

Reef cleaners holy crapload:20131116_133646_zpsa8bcdb34.jpg15g inhabitants transferred:20131116_152642_zpsdbe79777.jpgClam already opening up, that's a good sign: 20131116_151542_zps7ad620fc.jpgThe rock scape on the right is going to change about 10 times before I'm happy.. Also have to find places for everything that's currently on the sand bed.. So far I'm really happy with my upgrade.. The only thing I have left to move over is my ato..

Going to have a full day of vinegar and elbow grease cleaning up old equipment.. Then... SALE THREAD.. Lol..

• Like 2