1/17/15:

16324312182_ba6c572dfe_c.jpg

1/26/14:

20140126_153645-1_zpsc96abbf6.jpg

Bringing it home...

20130929_125102_zpsefb0b496.jpg

stand made out of sticks, 2x3's

20130929_155441_zps2e478aa7.jpg

the fishing pole is my GF's, hence the pink..

20131003_194044_zps2d379ce1.jpg

CANDY!!!!!

20131003_165318_zpsd2a50dad.jpg

time for a freshwater test...

20131020_153103-1_zps626ddc43.jpg

sump is done!

20131027_145107-1_zpsaf03085a.jpg

and awaiting water...

20131104_213125-1_zps1264a345.jpg

Hoping to get it wet this weekend :)

Tank:

40 breeder

20h DIY sump with white acrylic baffles

DIY stand

DIY light hangers (3/4" thinwall)

Equipment:

Reefbreeders Photon 24

Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer

Glass holes 700 overflow

Glass holes return

Eshopps filter sock holder

Mag 7 return pump swapping in Mag 5 return pump

2 x Ecotech Vortech MP10's

Fluval heater (200 watt? Don't remember)

DIY skimmer stand

ATO float switch on a timer with Tom's Aqualifter

Contents:

30lbs reefcleaners dry rock

60lbs Tropic Eden Reef Flakes

10-15lbs of live rock to be moved from existing tank

Livestock:

Orange percula clown

Black ocellaris clown

Blue/green chromis

Sixline wrasse

Royal gramma

Yellow tang :ninja:

• Like 3
Great stand! Can't wait to see it wet!

Thanks! One of the doors is a little off but I think I just need to shim the hinge a bit, they are mortised in and I think one of them is a tad deep. There's also a little bit of light coming through the gap in the doors, still thinking of how to fix that.. Otherwise I think the stand came out well. I really like the finish, I hope it holds up.

Looks great....first impressions of the light?
thanks!

The light feels like it's well made, it runs quietly, seems like it has good control and I like the controller.. It might be difficult to program, but Idk yet. It's almost the same diode combo as my current light so acclimation should be easy. So far I really like the light..

• Like 1

thanks! The light feels like it's well made, it runs quietly, seems like it has good control and I like the controller.. It might be difficult to program, but Idk yet. It's almost the same diode combo as my current light so acclimation should be easy. So far I really like the light..

Hard to tell for sure, but the spread looks pretty good in the pic. Any doubts on it covering the entire tank?

Been thinking of getting one....

Hard to tell for sure, but the spread looks pretty good in the pic. Any doubts on it covering the entire tank?

Been thinking of getting one....

no doubts at all.. It's got 90s on and covers just fine, I could lower it a few more inches and still cover the tank, I like lights up a little higher though, I like extra space above the tank and I don't mind light spill.. I was a little worried before getting it but I think coverage will be perfect.
  • Like 2

no doubts at all.. It's got 90s on and covers just fine, I could lower it a few more inches and still cover the tank, I like lights up a little higher though, I like extra space above the tank and I don't mind light spill.. I was a little worried before getting it but I think coverage will be perfect.

I'm with you on the added height. Following along.

• Like 1

Good looking tank. I've always liked the look of 40 breeders, but never stayed in one place long enough to have a tank that size. How is the flow from the two mp10's? I have a friend who's starting a 50 gallon, but is worried about two mp10's not providing enough flow.

You mentioned it covers the entire tank and then some, hows the par readings? are they high enough for SPS?

Im struggling to choose between the 24 and the 32, the difference is $120, but it doubles the LEDs.

Do you think it can cover a 40 x 20 x 17 tank?

How do you find the overflow? is it quiet?, I have a used tank with a 1 1/2" hole about 2" away from the eurobrace (brace to top of the hole is 2"), do you think i can install the 700gph box on this tank?

Good looking tank. I've always liked the look of 40 breeders, but never stayed in one place long enough to have a tank that size. How is the flow from the two mp10's? I have a friend who's starting a 50 gallon, but is worried about two mp10's not providing enough flow.

dunno.. not wet yet..

according to ecotech's website, 1 is just barely enough, 2 is in a perfect range.. but we'll see when water hits the fan.. lol..

You mentioned it covers the entire tank and then some, hows the par readings? are they high enough for SPS?

Im struggling to choose between the 24 and the 32, the difference is $120, but it doubles the LEDs.

How do you find the overflow? is it quiet?, I have a used tank with a 1 1/2" hole about 2" away from the eurobrace (brace to top of the hole is 2"), do you think i can install the 700gph box on this tank?

I don't have a par meter but it'll be plenty for sps.. most people don't run this thing past 50-70% and a lot of people stay in the 30-40% range..

the overflow was a little gurgly during the freshwater test, but I think I can kill the gurgle.. actually, the box didn't hold water, so glass holes replaced it for me no questions asked.. I will need it to be quiet since it's 4 ft from my bed, but I'm confident I can make it quiet, my current overflow is dead silent.

Looks great so far. :)

I have only one MP10 I have a mixed tank (literally a bit of everything) it's only on at 75%. With that and the return heads I wouldn't want any more flow. My LPS and Anemones seem just fine with the flow as it is. I wouldn't dare even turn the MP 10 up to full - someone is going to suffer lol.

If you go 100 % SPS then 2 would work but any LPS and they're going to get pretty blown around,

By the way - LOVE the light spread and welcome to the 40Ber's :)

• Like 1

Looks great so far.:)

I have only one MP10 I have a mixed tank (literally a bit of everything) it's only on at 75%. With that and the return heads I wouldn't want any more floe. My LPS and Anemones seem just fine with the flow as it is. I wouldn't dare even turn the MP 10 up to full - someone is going to suffer lol.

If you go 100 % SPS then 2 would work but any LPS and they're going to get pretty blown around,

By the way - LOVE the light spread and welcome to the 40Ber's :)

I run one mp10 on my current 15g a little over 50%, plus the return.. Lol.. MOAR FLOW!!

I run one mp10 on my current 15g a little over 50%, plus the return.. Lol.. MOAR FLOW!!

hehehe i just turned it up to see what would happen...it's on reef crest - so far, so good but it hasn't reached full flow yet :o

• Like 1

hehehe i just turned it up to see what would happen...it's on reef crest - so far, so good but it hasn't reached full flow yet :o

lol don't be sceered.. LPS and softies will adapt to the flow..

I guess I didn't answer your question.. Lol. I can take some measurements. Sounds like plenty of room for the overflow.. The 2" is between hole and the outside or the inside of the brace?

Nice build, and nice choice with the skimmer - the BM Curve 5 is perfect for a tank like this - quiet, small, easy to clean, and skims well to boot! ;)

Also like the light - I have contemplating getting one for my 40B... B)

Oh, and to kill any light spill from the seam between the 2 front doors, attach a small piece of thin board to overlap the seam on the backside... :wizard:

9825FFAD-C0A2-4914-9893-FC8BE83E44B4-271 The bottom of the horizontal flange brace to the hole of the bulkhead is 2".

oooohhhhh.. Gotcha.. The top of the hole to the top of the box is roughly 2.225" (2 1/8) I measured the extra box I have that had the defective seam.. You could call glass holes and ask them to drill one a little higher and explain your situation.. They have awesome customer service.. Love that tank BTW, very clean rimless look.

Nice build, and nice choice with the skimmer - the BM Curve 5 is perfect for a tank like this - quiet, small, easy to clean, and skims well to boot! ;) Also like the light - I have contemplating getting one for my 40B... B)

Thanks! I love the light so far, I think it's perfect for the 40b.. I really hope the skimmer is quiet, it's next to my bed, it gets really good reviews though..

Oh, and to kill any light spill from the seam between the 2 front doors, attach a small piece of thin board to overlap the seam on the backside... :wizard:

That was my first idea actually.. I'm thinking about a strip of felt on one edge of one of the doors.. I'll tinker with it, the gap is tiny and only really visible when the light is on..