Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First sighting of the bigger one since last night. I saw her in the right rock, we played hide n' go seek, she'd pop out here and then there like that Whack a Mole game, I could tell she was eyeing her surroundings. She looked around near the bottom of the rock and then she was bold and just ran up to the window where I was sitting, showing me his/her underside but it was too fast, then she took that first breathtaking leap to the bigger new rock, it's like a pedestal, like a space ship w/ large wings on left and right side that provide shelter.

057_zpsa2b4e6f3.jpg

First pic. Not fantastic but it's a pic nevertheless.

056_zps0cfdf6a7.jpg

048_zps27845323.jpg

Haven't seen the green one exploring yet.

071_zps3a456195.jpg

070_zpsb4a5a089.jpg

I like the new rocks you have in there. Those are some spoiled little mantis shrimp :) Great work getting this tank set up so fast for them!

Thanks, I am worried a little about the green one, haven't seen it yet. The nice flat surface of the space ship rock will be great for mushrooms.

Hide and go peak!

I wish the other would come out. But it was smaller and a little more freaked out when it went into the tank.

Try putting a little food in the green one's tank... See if you can't draw it out.

(And don't forget, many mantids don't like bright light, so it may be hiding until after the lights go off.)

The light isn't bright, actually, when I brightened it, that's when the bigger one came out. But I turned it down and put a little food in the left side by the rock that he went into yesterday.

Very cool. I'm jealous

Well, I just hope the smaller one didn't die. I hope, hope, hope to see it tomorrow, when it came out of the cup it was I think disoriented and freaked a little before it found the hole in the rock. I bet it's heart rate was up. Just in case I'm going to check the ammonia level in the left side and compare it to the right. I just checked & the LRS reef frenzy bit I put is still there. UGH.

When I first got my mantis it was doing spins up and down the glass, behaving in a very disoriented manner. Then he hid for about a week, came out and started doing the same thing. Eventually he settled in and I had him for a couple years. I don't think you have much to worry about, it will settle in and you'll have two happy stomatopods.

When I first got my mantis it was doing spins up and down the glass, behaving in a very disoriented manner. Then he hid for about a week, came out and started doing the same thing. Eventually he settled in and I had him for a couple years. I don't think you have much to worry about, it will settle in and you'll have two happy stomatopods.

I looked back at your thread. Someone mentioned bright lights = green, low = maroon, so I got one of each.. So, I'm going to try for medium light. Yours was pretty both mottled and green. How big did it get?

I think I've read more that a couple times where people's mantids molted right after being rehomed.

That very well could be happening because I noticed it was a touch bigger than a week ago, so maybe he is molting.

ll_maynard_ll

Looks nice with the new rock, I'm sure the little green one is fine, but I like the idea of trying to entice it out with some food. I'm thinking a well fed critter is a happy one. I'm sure they will enjoy what you've done for them on such short notice.

Aargh. Haven't see it yet, hopefully it is molting in one of the tunnels it fits into. I didn't see the piece of food there this morning but it's so light the wave action of the filter could have moved it.

The mantis is prob just adjusting. They can be really good at hiding. Sometimes they are even watching you but you don't know it. Tiny little eyes barley poking out from a hole somewhere. You could try adding some small live snails or hermits.

The mantis is prob just adjusting. They can be really good at hiding. Sometimes they are even watching you but you don't know it. Tiny little eyes barley poking out from a hole somewhere. You could try adding some small live snails or hermits.

It's amazing to me as small as they are, the one was playing hide and seek but then in a flash he was up at the glass shaking his full body of legs & whatnot. Then he ran away.

Good idea, I'll add several colonista snails to each one and add a small hermit. Spice it up a little. Good ideas for me - thank you- I'll be getting Reefcleaners for my 34 when I get back and I'll throw some dwarfs in there too.

Ok, just put in 2 little hermits for the little guy and a larger hermit for the other, and on top the big rock a tiny ricordea, a blue one that hasn't been happy in the other tank, too bright and he can't find a place. We'll see if it does better.

I'll get some colonistas in a little while, the Evolve tank light just turned off and I have the blue one on so they should be coming out soon.

Isn't it amazing how easily they hide. Hopefully its OK and still just adjusting.

They've only been in there homes for 4 days so isn't a lot of time. I was hoping to see the green one, I'll be out of town Fri- next Tues and a fellow NReefer will look in on my tanks on Sun - just guess I would feel better if I saw it, just once.

ll_maynard_ll

Gotta think, they made it in your rock from the ocean to kp aquatics to your door and survived. So I'm guessing it is happy just taking it easy for a while in its new surroundings.

Nice you got someone to check on your tanks for you. Ease the mind a bit.

Macro! No sighting of the green one. I'll be gone from tomorrow til next Tues, they'll get a morsel tonight and then not again until Sun and then when I return. If I don't see the green one by then I'll consider it a goner. Of course I'd rather GREEN mean GO.

Left

001_zps381cb9d7.jpg

Right

002_zps55b2aaea.jpg

Archived