Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

so sweet. and i love her googly eyes!

love gertie!!

annette, do you expect her to grow much bigger than this?

FlowerMama

She's 2". She'll grow to 3.25" or so.

I got a Coral Compulsion Par38 for a really good price from someone in our local club so it'll go over her tank this weekend probably. So I don't know how that will change the look of her color, probably make her look brighter. I did buy a dimmer so I won't have it high but it should do well for some mushrooms I have in there, and should make gsp pop and grow my green caulerpa better.

• 2 weeks later...
FlowerMama

Updated pic of the right corner of Gertie's tank. RFAs are doing fine, the gsp rock though is thoroughly pissed at the events. Going to turn off light now. I had it off all day except for 1.5 hrs. Want to lessen any chance of dino here.

20150519_174905_zpsagrnjkff.jpg

OH this is gertie! You have a mantis. I had one that green colour. it was so cute :( didn't survive though. Came in on a rock.

FlowerMama

What a cool thing to catch on video! :)

It did it once so I got my phone, then it did it 2 more times.

OH this is gertie! You have a mantis. I had one that green colour. it was so cute :( didn't survive though. Came in on a rock.

Oh, that stinks. I must've been super lucky. I had 3 come in on my live rock from KP Aquatics and they were all alive, barely moving due to lack of enough water, like in a coma, but they made it. I gave one away to my friend who was helping me open my box. The other 2 were almost the same size.

Islandoftiki

I sure miss having a mantis. From your videos, it's clear that you have her trained to recognize hands as a food source and non-threatening.

Does she hit you very often and is she gentle about it? Betty always liked to tap our fingers, but never hard enough to hurt.

FlowerMama

Only one time did she hit me because I stepped over the boundary, instead of 2 fingers in to provide the food, I 1) had no food and 2) had an open palm and she didn't like it. I gasped because it was a shock when she did I think I was anticipating worse but it wasn't bad. Nov.

Then this was in Jan- push it forward and watch from like 1:15 onward. She's used to my hand for sure.

FlowerMama

Gertie likes this nem rock but she thought the window was too bright. She crawls out the back said of the rock and keeps this window shut! Her workmanship is great.

20150524_193333_zpskwihwycc.jpg

FlowerMama

It's fun to watch them build and burrow. Industrious lil buggers

Yes, I hope I can get her out of the rock down the line when it's time to put the nems back. I'm sure I can lure her w/ food and then yank the rock up though.

Woah! That's so cool! I bet she is fascinating to watch building. What cool and intelligent little critters.

FlowerMama

Woah! That's so cool! I bet she is fascinating to watch building. What cool and intelligent little critters.

They sure are. One day when she passes I will seriously be mourning/grieving like I never have for a saltwater critter. For sure I'll get another from KP Aquatics- mine was a hitchhiker but they have ones you can buy still cheap. Once you have one Felicia, you'll never want to be without one!! You'll have to do it next time! :wub:

I'd love to have one someday. Maybe someday when I have a bigger setup I could do a display refugium with a mantis shrimp.

Archived