Top Shelf Aquatics

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

FlowerMama

Yeah, Gertie is a wennarae mantis shrimp, Came in free on my live rock w/ 2 others. Will be 2 yrs at Halloween that I've had her. She had a sister but in a crazy line of events, including one being stuck in between the baffles of my 34g, when they were back in my 20g she uh....killed her, ate her. They were separated for a long time until one day.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mantis shrimp are so fascinating. I love seeing your videos! She really is a tiny little thing. Very cute :) Btw, I like how the rock flowers look in this tank. I know its just temporary, but they really brighten up the tank.

FlowerMama

Mantis shrimp are so fascinating. I love seeing your videos! She really is a tiny little thing. Very cute :) Btw, I like how the rock flowers look in this tank. I know its just temporary, but they really brighten up the tank.

Well how's this for brightening up the tank? Still have to put the filters back in but they're soaking so I hope to get some coraline off the tubes that hang in.

And Note to Self: buy razor blades, you're gonna need them to keep the back glass looking spotless.

20150705_153925_zpsiam0ercs.jpg

FlowerMama

A closer look at the curlique anemone that's really been getting larger. That rock will be staying in the tank w/ Gertie. There's a hole she's been widening in front so I'll have to remove the 3 nems on it.

20150705_154603_zpsm9fyfxl2.jpg

20150705_175958_zpso6dqkgmt.jpg

Yeah, there's still a royal gramma hiding on the left side. It'll be probably 1.5 yrs that I've had him and he continues to hide.

20150705_180008_zpsmanyzux9.jpg

FlowerMama

Did you put a white background on? It makes a huge difference :wub:.

Yes, I loved how bright it made yours. :wub: Copying is flattery!! I messed up though and bought Rustoleum Protective Enamel in Flat White which is oil based instead of paint and it stunk and as soon as I'd wipe it off my hand it would stay there. For the reason of it stinking I only did one coat. That and then the current tank of the month is so gorgeous with it's white back as well. I think the white somehow elongates the tank like it has yours. But yeah, need to buy some razors as any grime will certainly show up.

Yes, I loved how bright it made yours. :wub: Copying is flattery!! I messed up though and bought Rustoleum Protective Enamel in Flat White which is oil based instead of paint and it stunk and as soon as I'd wipe it off my hand it would stay there. For the reason of it stinking I only did one coat. That and then the current tank of the month is so gorgeous with it's white back as well. I think the white somehow elongates the tank like it has yours. But yeah, need to buy some razors as any grime will certainly show up.

I used a spray paint and I'm pretty sure it was oil based. I talked with the paint sales guy and he suggested it since it will stick to glass the best. He used to do window painting with the spray paint so I trusted his judgement due to his experience with it. He also suggested high gloss since that will stick the best and since it's on glass you wouldn't even be able to tell it's high gloss. It worked out perfectly. I really love this white on this tank! Makes a huge difference :).
FlowerMama

Woah! That background made a huge difference. It looks so bright and crisp and clean!

It sure did. I'm amazed how much.

Looking really pretty!

Thank you!

I used a spray paint and I'm pretty sure it was oil based. I talked with the paint sales guy and he suggested it since it will stick to glass the best. He used to do window painting with the spray paint so I trusted his judgement due to his experience with it. He also suggested high gloss since that will stick the best and since it's on glass you wouldn't even be able to tell it's high gloss. It worked out perfectly. I really love this white on this tank! Makes a huge difference :).

Yeah, I knew I didn't have any room back there to spray paint and since it was in use would have been really difficult to spray. The inlet tubes for the two AC30s came out really clean, except for the crossbar before it goes back down into the filter. I wish I had a different placement option but I don't. The skimmer though might remain on the left side facing the tank and putting one of the power heads behind it. Still have the two AC30s that stick out like a sore thumb and the heater I think I can also shove away on that left side behind the powerhead..

20150706_194839_zpszn4lcleh.jpg

20150706_194846_zpstd8xfozx.jpg

20150706_194858_zpsq0i1q60m.jpg

And one rock flower took a trek from the right side to the left. You can see it on the glass.

FlowerMama

That's nicely done for hand painting without moving the tank! It looks flawless in the photos.

Thank God for rollers! On the 10g because there's light coming from behind it, you can see the spots left behind from the roller. BUT..when the light is on from the inside it disappears so I'm not concerned enough to care to stink up the living room and kitchen to put another coat on..

Even with spray paint, I've always been able to see some uneveness with the paint when the light is coming from the outside. Totally vanishes with the tank lights though. Looks like you did a great job! :)

FlowerMama

Even with spray paint, I've always been able to see some uneveness with the paint when the light is coming from the outside. Totally vanishes with the tank lights though. Looks like you did a great job! :)

Thank you. Randi came over the other day and she said it looked better in person than in my pic so I was pleased. She said it looked even brighter than what the pic showed. Just what a difference though in appearance. If it wasn't for Gertie seriously beating up the rfas I might consider leaving them in but I'm thinking as an alternative I could always put something else different of a nem species.

I have the curlique anemone on the right.

Might be nice in the middle to put something like a maxi min nem though.

FlowerMama

I know. They're so beautiful and she whacks them and I know it has to be hurting the tissue.

Gertie was busy tonight. She's using her wrecking ball throughout the whole thing so I decided not to apply music.

Well how's this for brightening up the tank? Still have to put the filters back in but they're soaking so I hope to get some coraline off the tubes that hang in.

And Note to Self: buy razor blades, you're gonna need them to keep the back glass looking spotless.

20150705_153925_zpsiam0ercs.jpg

Looks AWESOME!

Looks AWESOME!

Thank you. It's amazing how much brighter it made it. And it's white on the back but makes it a nice light, almost translucent kinda look.

i love the construction noises she was making.

i know i had read the size of tank, but didn't realize how BIG
a tank gertie has. she is a QUEEN! so spoiled.

why did you move the RFA?

I had them all in the 60g and nothing went right w/ the tank. I had 2 bouts of cyano then cyano and dino this last time and I couldn't kick the dino to the curb. It gut punched me. So, I took them out and put them in the 20 and 34 to save them and dumped out the sand, cleaned it and noticed I wasn't happy about the silicone on the left side. I'm selling it in the local forum.

Then I bought a 40g during the $1 per gallon and they are doing well in my 34 so I will just re-establish everything there....once I move. I'm also trying to figure out a different living arrangement so the flowers won't be together again until I'm in a permanent spot again. For now they have to share space.

Well, Gertie's first bad molt. She's missing part of her left eye. It's black in that spot instead of having the greyish part over it where you see the multiple eye like things moving. I hope that grows back somehow. I just gave her a little piece of food. I'm gonna give her a little something daily right now hoping it's alright. MY POOR BABY! :(

Archived