Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Gertie- my girl is gone.

FlowerMama

That'll still be very roomy on each side. What's going into each apt?

NPS one one side and my mandarin macro display tank will be going into the other. Most of the current contents will go into Ivy's 45g cube.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOPS! Somehow while doing a water change in the mantis tanks, Geneva ended up in Gertie's townhome. I just saw some chasing which made me take a 2nd look. crap!! I don't know how it happened. I took out like 2.5 gallons from each side.

Darn. Almost caught Geneva I think. If they came in on the same rock overnight, and they are the same gender, I wonder what the probability is that they could get along? Do I take a chance and then later get rid of the center divider?

I don't know really, I was pouring the new water over the powerhead to difuse it some may have gotten to the sand and pushed her up in the wave it made. I'd really love it if they got along. It would be nice to remove the center piece. I'm going to see what happens by 8:30, it'd be an hour that she'd be in there. Part of me wants to see. Maybe I should let the water clear and then try to feed and see what happens, that would be the telling moment. Could they share feeding time?. It's already confusion, maybe feeding will bring them together. If it did work, could a royal gramma and yellow damsel get a long? they've been seeing each other the whole time.

Damsel and gramma should be fine. I'd worry more about 1 of the mantis eventually catching the other one off guard or someone stumbling into someone else in a dark tunnel and wam.

Damsel and gramma should be fine. I'd worry more about 1 of the mantis eventually catching the other one off guard or someone stumbling into someone else in a dark tunnel and wam.

I would hope that since each has a couple hideouts on each side that it would be ok.

Yeah, I know what you mean about off guard. I've heard no punches so far at all which is good at least.

Hasn't been much of a chase, just in the beginning. They're both hiding. I put some food in and one came out to the tweezers grabbed some and ran. And that's it. Haven't seen them. I don't hear the wrecking balls so no one's even tried yet. Should I take it as a good sign? It's been 1.5 really fast hours.

I wonder if it could make them shy if they were worried about the other 'invader'? I don't think people often keep them together in tanks.. so I really don't know how it will work out long term.

I'm hoping that since they are small and they got used to my hand feeding and that I'm not a threat that they would do ok w/ each other. I mean they're only an inch long, they don't know to be mad w/ each other really. They're not learning from any bigger ones to be bad asses. I think they're more scared than anything.

I haven't heard or seen any fighting, they've been in there for 3 hrs together now, I'm going to see how this goes folks. I heard one lightly tapping on rock I think.

The girlies are roommies!!! Happy Easter! I checked in about 5 mins ago and turned the light on. Each one was peering out of a hole in the same rock to see what was going on. So I decided to feed. It's not the best pic but trying to hold food and camera at the same time is a little challenging. And I don't feed chunks that big, just to get their attention. I'll work on removing the center. Doubles their space!!! I'm excited about that.

030_zpsff89ef90.jpg

004_zpsff4e89c9.jpg

Earlier today before I left to my mother's home. As much as Geneva's been trying to get over to see Gertie and since they were alive this morning I decided to tear down the wall! Seeing that there were 3 on the rock when I got them they might just be sisters.

005_zps945bfb13.jpg

014_zps023555bd.jpg

023_zpsc4b95b1a.jpg

Since I came home from my parent's home Gertie has been just sitting in the half out just looking around. I've never seen her out for this long a time. Just happy. Geneva is still hiding more. I think this arrangement will benefit Geneva more. I'm hoping she lightens up a bit. Precious Ocean are getting along fine.

020_zps0adf9f5b.jpg

017_zpsc3e9c04b.jpg

That is awesome! I guess it makes sense that they very well could share the same rocks in the ocean.

When I got them and opened the package of rocks, I had 3 of them on one rock, the biggest at the time was 1.25 and that one went to my friend Randi. The other 2 I kept so they really did come in on the same ocean rock and they weren't beating each other up but on the other hand they were probably out of it being in the dark and w/ little water. Then they've been separated for 5 mos. They probably needed a friend. Being so young (I mean they were .5 and .75 inches when I found them) they can probably live in peace. They have a nice wide open place now.

They may stick together when they are small and get territorial when they are bigger but maybe not they may stay friends.

They may stick together when they are small and get territorial when they are bigger but maybe not they may stay friends.

I'm hoping they'll remain friends and not turn into evil sisters.

BANG! :o Ok, so twice now I've heard a decent sounding "bang" and then saw swimming w/ darker Geneva chasing Gertie. If this keeps up tomorrow then I'll try catch Geneva and put her in my 34 sump or I'll give her to a friend. I'm not going to divide this again and well, Gertie has more of my heart since she's always been more of the social butterfly with me :wub: . And she's not out to get Geneva. I hope she doesn't harm Gertie. With lights that just went out right now hopefully Gertie can settle in for the night. I'm not happy w/ Geneva right now. :angry:

There are plenty locations they could call home in there so hopefully they work it out. :unsure:

Instinct I'm sure. Even in the larval stage, mantis shrimps are aggressive to each other. I would be worried 1 might take the other out when it is vulnerable (molting). I would hate to see you lose Gertie since you are so attached.

I saw both when I came home. They've been making more homes. More sand pushed up against 2 new places and each was not where I thought they'd be. I'm watching closely and will already give Geneva to a fishy friend at work if she causes problems this evening. I fed when I got home, no sound at all yet of any disagreements. They've both been in all the rocks because of the switches that have happened, so it's fair game.

• 2 weeks later...
FlowerMama

I hadn't seen Gertie or Geneva for 2 days and I sure was happy to see 'em when I went to do some maintenance and feed 'em today. One was noticeably bigger, wider, I can't even tell if longer so when she came out I was like WOW!. On their 20g tank I changed out 4 gallons. I'm going to do it again this Sat. I also need to test nitrate- I've never had it over 5 but they are getting bigger so I need to check.

Hopefully some pics next time for ya all.

Archived