Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snow_Phoenix

Definitely going to need pics of the 120 when you get it up!

I will. I'm sourcing out second-hand tanks right now - this seems like a very good deal (2 tanks) with stand for only RM 200 (U$D 70). Each tank is 4' x 2' x 2'.

http://www.mudah.my/Akuarium+4+kaki-28608860.htm

Only thing is that I have RM 20 (1/10) of the needed funds lol. Oh well, I'll still keep a lookout. Once my MBA is done, I'll get rid of two cupboards, get a 120G, transfer all livestock and sell off the 30G. :)

Thanks Shadow. He was the most shy but he was so nice looking I bought him. Now he does this every time I walk by his cage

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b570/Dinoking11/IMG_1365_zps1848131d.jpg

Aw, that's adorable! :wub:

Snow_Phoenix

Question - is it worth getting a Lawnmower Blenny to resolve my algae issue? Everyone who's owned one over here claims theirs tackled any algal outbreaks with flying colors. I saw a couple for sale at a LFS that I don't frequent to, but I'm wondering if I should snag one.

They can sometimes be aggressive and also nip clams and corals. I think it is more of a problem once they reach adult size but ya.

I guess if you are really frustrated with the algae. Try to get a juvenile. You may have to catch and return it someday though.

You might have to train it to frozen eventually as some don't want to eat prepared and could starve. Others discover it on their own and decide mysis is better than algae and stop eating the GHA lol

I would go for it if you can catch him easily later on, like tam said they can get aggressive.

Hey stranger, where are your updates?

Hey stranger, where are your updates?

Coming soon, I had a real bad back injury which caused me to neglect my tank so I'm trying to get it back to looking nice

Coming soon, I had a real bad back injury which caused me to neglect my tank so I'm trying to get it back to looking nice

Sorry to hear :( Hope you are feeling better.

Snow_Phoenix

They can sometimes be aggressive and also nip clams and corals. I think it is more of a problem once they reach adult size but ya.

I guess if you are really frustrated with the algae. Try to get a juvenile. You may have to catch and return it someday though.

You might have to train it to frozen eventually as some don't want to eat prepared and could starve. Others discover it on their own and decide mysis is better than algae and stop eating the GHA lol

I would go for it if you can catch him easily later on, like tam said they can get aggressive.

Thank you both. I'll get a juvenile and then rehome it once it hits full size and develops a nasty temper. I'm thinking of picking one up tomorrow for sure. Also, Ice, it's nice to see you back. Take it slow - I'm also nursing several injuries, and it's taking time to heal. Don't overstress yourself. Wish you all the best in your recovery! :)

Snow_Phoenix

Well this little bugger nearly gave me a hernia in the morning. Woke up to find the glass lid of the tank askew and no crab to be found. Spent the whole hour searching the whole house for him until I saw him perched on my sister's guitar case, 3 feet up in the air and looking shameless at his antics. He then led me on a wild little merry goose chase around the art room until he scuttled underneath the dresser. Took me 15 minutes with a broom, bucket and net to frisk him out of there. He has been giving me the cold eye the whole day. Am thinking of buying some feeder fish for him to prey on - maybe he'll amuse himself and actually stay in the tank instead of trying to ninja out of it. :furious:

Snow_Phoenix

I won't be updating any new pics over the next few days - currently under a lot of assignment stress. This is my last research proposal for my Masters, and I'm shaking. It's due in 3 days and I have barely hit the starting point. Story of my life:

Kk6s6eA.png

:haha:

Good luck with your paper!

lol, that crab is so awesome :) I had a similar experience with a snake. Couldn't find him anywhere then I finally saw him and he was crawling back into his cage by himself. He had spent the night out and I guess he found a mouse in the house or something by the looks of his belly and went back to his heating pad. I don't know if thats dumb luck or if a snake can remember where water, ect is.

I went out and bought some clasps for the top after that :P

I've written some of the best papers that way, last minute, because you're very focused then. And remember, reference, reference, reference!

Dr.Brain Coral

This brings back memories of when I was still in public school when kids didn't do there essays they would be scrambling to finish them in the fifteen minutes before class(I did this once or twice haha) :lol:

Needless to say when they weren't done in time this was the teacher. :rant:

Snow_Phoenix

Good luck with your paper!

lol, that crab is so awesome :) I had a similar experience with a snake. Couldn't find him anywhere then I finally saw him and he was crawling back into his cage by himself. He had spent the night out and I guess he found a mouse in the house or something by the looks of his belly and went back to his heating pad. I don't know if thats dumb luck or if a snake can remember where water, ect is.

I went out and bought some clasps for the top after that :P

Heh, I used to have a hamster named Tequila that occasionally escaped his cage and then returned on his own to sleep on the hamster wheel. He died after 2+ years of living.

I've written some of the best papers that way, last minute, because you're very focused then. And remember, reference, reference, reference!

Yep, I'm hedging around almost 50 references. They seem to expect them a lot over here. I'm still trying to shake off the sleepiness - my bed looks so warm and cozy though! :o

This brings back memories of when I was still in public school when kids didn't do there essays they would be scrambling to finish them in the fifteen minutes before class(I did this once or twice haha) :lol:

Needless to say when they weren't done in time this was the teacher. :rant:

:lol:

Also, I have some news - grape caulerpa went sexual last night. I kept staying off pruning it and I waited for it for too long, Also ignored the warning signs, which wasn't too smart of me. Other than having a cloudy tank that seems to be slowly clearing up, my fish, corals and inverts are all surprisingly fine.

'How can you tell if your Caulerpa are about to begin sexual reproduction? Sexually reproducingCaulerpa develop small thorn- or whisker-like appendages on their fronds known as gametangia. These structures are where the spores will be formed and eventually released into the water. Should you see these on your Caulerpa, prompt removal will be necessary.' --> from a website.

Won't be so ignorant when it comes to pruning next time.

Snow_Phoenix

Okay, I know I promised not to post up any pics until my theses are done, but I couldn't resist sharing this with all of you:

bB4xj6h.png

They came as a pair and were inseperable at the store. The one on the left is a Byno Sleeper Goby (3" long) and the one of the right is the Sailfin Algae Blenny (1"). I named the Byno Beast and the Blenny Scooter. :wub:

Scooter went on scout mode immediately. Once he scoped out the tank, he has been pecking at every single space of GHA and cyano like crazy. He also pauses and greets me at the front of the glass when I walk into the room, and I swear he looks directly at me. Loads of personality. He also turns this gorgeous shade of gray, white, black and blue in camo-night mode.

Beast mostly hovers in the middle of the tank. Caught him sand-sifting several times, but no grazing activities yet.

I'd love to post a FTS, but I have to explain several things first and I need to get it off my chest anyways. My tank is severely overstocked. My Caulerpa went batsh*t crazy this morning and went sexual - I didn't know that those tiny white projections on the green globes were a warning sign. I have a total of 9 fish in this tank. I will NOT be adding more fish.

My algae outbreak has actually reduced substantially after I upped my GFO and whupped out a skimmer. But I'm still crossing a fine line. I made three impulse purchases last week, that resulted in a mini cyano bloom. Cyano is going away slowly, but I still have to clean my sandbed daily.

If I do get a FTS of the tank up now, I know someone on NR will try to murder me for it. As it is, my stress levels are high due to the thesis stress, and additional stress might just trigger another episode of seizures on my end, which won't end well for me. So, I'll withhold the FTS until Sunday.

Tank isn't as bad as it looks or sounds, it's just that I have a lot of fish. It'll step on some toes. :wacko:

Sorry to everyone in advance! :(

Snow_Phoenix

Focus on the paper, get the big tank and then post pics!

Focusing on the paper, definitely!

120G might have to wait for some time (this one is going to be FW for my Cichlids, not marine). Need to wrangle a new job and start hoarding money to getting an upgrade + better skimmer + reactors and all those other fun stuff.

I just wanted to ask - I might end up upgrading my marine to a 68G or 70G end of this year/early next year with a 30G sump. What's the footprint of your 72G bowfront? I might end up imitating it, but due to space constraint, the tank will have to be 'taller' rather than 'longer'. So I'm thinking of a 3' (length) x 1.5' (width) x 2' (height) for the display, and a BM Nac 7 for a skimmer. Does that sound okay?

Estimated upgrade cost would be RM 1000++.

Focusing on the paper, definitely!

120G might have to wait for some time (this one is going to be FW for my Cichlids, not marine). Need to wrangle a new job and start hoarding money to getting an upgrade + better skimmer + reactors and all those other fun stuff.

I just wanted to ask - I might end up upgrading my marine to a 68G or 70G end of this year/early next year with a 30G sump. What's the footprint of your 72G bowfront? I might end up imitating it, but due to space constraint, the tank will have to be 'taller' rather than 'longer'. So I'm thinking of a 3' (length) x 1.5' (width) x 2' (height) for the display, and a BM Nac 7 for a skimmer. Does that sound okay?

Estimated upgrade cost would be RM 1000++.

I do love me some cichlids!

My bowfront is 48L x 23H x 18W at it's widest and 12-13W at the ends. I would say a column or "oddly" deep tank would be really cool but a bit tough to maintain. A cube may be nice as well. Or a corner/triangle tank.

Have you considered a DIY tank? Depending on the situation you may be able to save some money.

Snow_Phoenix

I do love me some cichlids!

My bowfront is 48L x 23H x 18W at it's widest and 12-13W at the ends. I would say a column or "oddly" deep tank would be really cool but a bit tough to maintain. A cube may be nice as well. Or a corner/triangle tank.

Have you considered a DIY tank? Depending on the situation you may be able to save some money.

I did consider DIY, but the problem is I have butterfingers. Really. I've tried multiple DIY projects and the only thing I've successfully made is gluing together woodwork pieces to make wooden animal figurines. :unsure:

Also, over here DIY can be a bit more costly since the purchase of tools needed for the DIY project will overpower the cost of the ready-made object itself (opposite of the west, surprisingly! I adore the fact that you guys do a lot of cool DIY stuff!). Even doing a cupboard/stand for the tank would be more costly if self-made. Plus the hassle of sourcing out raw materials will be crazy. :blink:

So I'll have to make-do with custom-made designs (which is a bit costly). Thank goodness I have a good customer-supplier relationship with my LFS. Those guys are amazing. :closedeyes:

Snow_Phoenix

I have several questions - would a 2' x 2' x 2' cube be better than a 3' x 1.5' x 2' rectangular tank? One will be close to 60+ G one will be close to 69G if I'm not mistaken. Personally I think the cube saves space, but I would love to hear some feedback.

Also, can I do up to 13 to 15 fish in the new tank?

Will a BM Nac 7 be enough for the new tank?

Do I need to invest in a chiller since I'm mostly going FOWLR and only carrying forward the limited coral pieces I have?

Will a lone Jebao WP-25 be enough for the new tank?

Would love some honest opinions.

Archived