Pod Your Reef

Shadow's 16G Disaster. Fumigation Poisoned the Tank and Crashed It.

Snow_Phoenix

Glad to hear things are doing well and the YCG has a new home. :)

Ditto on this :D

Thank you both. And I'm happy she found a new home as well. She'll be leaving to a wonderful 4'x2'x2' tank this coming Friday. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the lightning hit your house actually?

I think it hit few doors away but all the houses are 'connected' over here. So if lightning hits one house, usually the whole row is affected.

What are the odds of a Sixline Wrasse attacking a Scooter? According to multiple websites and forums, people have had success in keeping this combo together, provided the tank is large enough and has a lot of nooks and crannies.

http://www.fishdb.com/db/orca/results.php?a1=402&b2=34

Should I risk it in the future? I love the look of a Sixline since their pretty much enigmatic and curious fish. And Scooters are simply amazing - nothing else said.

What are the odds of a Sixline Wrasse attacking a Scooter? According to multiple websites and forums, people have had success in keeping this combo together, provided the tank is large enough and has a lot of nooks and crannies.

http://www.fishdb.com/db/orca/results.php?a1=402&b2=34

Should I risk it in the future? I love the look of a Sixline since their pretty much enigmatic and curious fish. And Scooters are simply amazing - nothing else said.

I think you'll have a hard competition for food with that combo. You know how dragonets are, they eat really slow and get around pretty slow. If I had to pick one it would be the scooter, hands down. That's one of the fish responsible for me getting into saltwater.

I think you'll have a hard competition for food with that combo. You know how dragonets are, they eat really slow and get around pretty slow. If I had to pick one it would be the scooter, hands down. That's one of the fish responsible for me getting into saltwater.

funny, I was the opposite. The sixline made me want to do sw, but I don't have a tank big enough for one. T_T

I'm not sure I'd put that combo together either :/

Okay, Scooter it is then. :) Thanks for the tip, Chew. Will Fairy Wrasses (small breed ones) also compete with the dragonet?

funny, I was the opposite. The sixline made me want to do sw, but I don't have a tank big enough for one. T_T

I'm not sure I'd put that combo together either :/

Agreed. The more I'm reading up at this very moment, the more warnings I'm getting from other reefers who say the same thing - that the wrasse will outcompete the dragonet for food. I don't want any fish to starve in my tank. :(

Agreed. The more I'm reading up at this very moment, the more warnings I'm getting from other reefers who say the same thing - that the wrasse will outcompete the dragonet for food. I don't want any fish to starve in my tank. :(

Like Chew said, that's exactly what I'd be worried about, too. Plus, I've heard sixlines can be jerks so... :/ If I could keep a dragonet, I would! :P

Okay, Scooter it is then. :) Thanks for the tip, Chew. Will Fairy Wrasses (small breed ones) also compete with the dragonet?

Practically anything will out compete any dragonet for food (if you were feeding the scooter), that's why it's a good thing to have their proper food well established in the tank. I have no experience with wrasses personally but I'm going to assume they pull their food from the water column, not surfaces (for the most part). Six lines are well known for eating things like flatworms and such so they're well accustomed to foraging the same type of food as the scooter would be eating.

Like Chew said, that's exactly what I'd be worried about, too. Plus, I've heard sixlines can be jerks so... :/ If I could keep a dragonet, I would! :P

Dragonets are amazing and fascinating. I love the fact that they perch frequently and scoot around on the sand. They're fun to watch, and peaceful too.

My mum's been hinting that she'd love a blue colored fish - she nearly got me a tang (a tang!) last week, but I managed to coax her into not going through with it. She still loves a small blue nano fish - something not overly aggressive and active. I was looking into getting a Kupang Damsel (yellowtail damsel), but I understand these guys can be jerks when they grow up. The funny thing is that I've had friends that have kept damsels long before and they never caused any problems.

Do you think this stocking plan would work (in the long term --> I'm talking about 6 months or more here):

Fish that I already have:

1 Juvi Occy Misbar Clown

1 Yellow Clown Goby

Fish that I would love to have:

1 Clown Blenny

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby

1 Kupang Damsel

Is this doable? The bioload will be high due to the dragonet and clown, but the rest of the fish have really small bioloads. Nevertheless I'm using a skimmer that's meant for a 125G tank. And I'll be doing 30% water changes weekly.

Hmmm... blue fish. One fish, two fish, blue fish...

Hmm...

First thing that popped in my head was a lunar wrasse but that's far too much fish for your tank. Damsels can be real buttholes, but there are a couple species that aren't so bad.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+2073&pcatid=2073

Your tank size is a little on the small end but I've heard plenty of people keeping Cherub angels in 30 gallons.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

And you can't go wrong with chromis.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+113&pcatid=113

Have a good top?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+1694&pcatid=1694

Mr. Sexy Dottyback

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+38+2990&pcatid=2990

Anyway, that's my take on blue fish that would be good for you.

Hmmm... blue fish. One fish, two fish, blue fish...

Hmm...

First thing that popped in my head was a lunar wrasse but that's far too much fish for your tank. Damsels can be real buttholes, but there are a couple species that aren't so bad.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+28+2073&pcatid=2073

Your tank size is a little on the small end but I've heard plenty of people keeping Cherub angels in 30 gallons.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

And you can't go wrong with chromis.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+113&pcatid=113

Have a good top?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+1694&pcatid=1694

Mr. Sexy Dottyback

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+38+2990&pcatid=2990

Anyway, that's my take on blue fish that would be good for you.

Oh, I had a Gudgeon previously! My absolute favorite guy in the past - very active and an open swimmer. And I have a mesh top that I slip on when I'm not taking photos of the tank. :P

I love the look of the Blue Reef Chromis and the Cherub Angel as well, Chew. Those two are gorgeous. I will check with my LFS - cherub angels are seasonal, and so are the gudgeons. But I'm not sure if they have any shipment of Blue Chromises. I say I'll pick the Cherub first, the Blue Reef second, the Gudgeon third and the Damsel last (if I can't get the first fish, I'll move on to the next or the next).

Some sixlines have been known to actually kill or eat the eyes off dragonets because they see them as competition.

Cherubs are sexy, watch them though, they may munch down LPS (their favorite coral).

Damsels right now are my fav fish, ha! My yellowtail picks on my sixline but times are changing.. the sixline is starting to pick on the damsel now...

Some sixlines have been known to actually kill or eat the eyes off dragonets because they see them as competition.

Cherubs are sexy, watch them though, they may munch down LPS (their favorite coral).

Thanks for the head's up, Tamberav! If I get a Cherub, I'll monitor it first. But knowing my luck, I'll wind up with the Gudgeon. Just watch. ;)

Dragonets are amazing and fascinating. I love the fact that they perch frequently and scoot around on the sand. They're fun to watch, and peaceful too.

My mum's been hinting that she'd love a blue colored fish - she nearly got me a tang (a tang!) last week, but I managed to coax her into not going through with it. She still loves a small blue nano fish - something not overly aggressive and active. I was looking into getting a Kupang Damsel (yellowtail damsel), but I understand these guys can be jerks when they grow up. The funny thing is that I've had friends that have kept damsels long before and they never caused any problems.

Do you think this stocking plan would work (in the long term --> I'm talking about 6 months or more here):

Fish that I already have:

1 Juvi Occy Misbar Clown

1 Yellow Clown Goby

Fish that I would love to have:

1 Clown Blenny

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Hi-Fin Red Banded Goby

1 Kupang Damsel

Is this doable? The bioload will be high due to the dragonet and clown, but the rest of the fish have really small bioloads. Nevertheless I'm using a skimmer that's meant for a 125G tank. And I'll be doing 30% water changes weekly.

well the damsels I've heard are kind of jerks as well. I had one, given to me by a lfs, but it was by itself...the only thing i could warn you about him is they tend to like to move sand around - or at least mine did. unfortunately, I don't know anything about the rest of the fish and livestock you've mentioned. I couldn't really say.

Damsels right now are my fav fish, ha! My yellowtail picks on my sixline but times are changing.. the sixline is starting to pick on the damsel now...

Does your damsel move sand around like mine did? he made little dips and valleys throughout my edge...it was so cute and annoying - having to blast sand off my rocks all the time.

well the damsels I've heard are kind of jerks as well. I had one, given to me by a lfs, but it was by itself...the only thing i could warn you about him is they tend to like to move sand around - or at least mine did. unfortunately, I don't know anything about the rest of the fish and livestock you've mentioned. I couldn't really say.

Does your damsel move sand around like mine did? he made little dips and valleys throughout my edge...it was so cute and annoying - having to blast sand off my rocks all the time.

So, I guess I'll need to keep a damsel in each side of my mantis tank- sounds like the 2 would have a fun time redecorating. I did see a yellow damsel, I mean it was all light yellow at Petco- I wouldn't buy from Petco unless I quarantined. it was pretty though.

My starkii does, my yellowtail hasn't. Ofc my yellowtail lives with a peacock mantis and shes the boss of aquascaping.

It doesn't bother me though since I have a jawfish and a pistol shrimp. I was already prepared for sand excavating so none of my frags were in the sand.

My starkii does, my yellowtail hasn't. Ofc my yellowtail lives with a peacock mantis and shes the boss of aquascaping.

It doesn't bother me though since I have a jawfish and a pistol shrimp. I was already prepared for sand excavating so none of my frags were in the sand.

hahaha cute.

I like the little yellowhead jawfish...ugh, I need a fish in my tank asap. lol.

Updates! :)

1. I acquired some Brown Magician Palys about two days ago. Finally had some time to snap a photo of them.

2. Here's my largest Rhodactis shroom, which is a good four inches across once fully expanded.

3. This is my Octofrogspawn. The middle branch is missing and always has been since I first bought it.

4. My Zoa colony - supposed to be Fire and Ice, some Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragons out back. Check out who's photobombing lol.

5. My green Ricordia Yuma accompanied by a baby Rhodactis shroom.

6. My green Pagoda cup coral. Darn T5 lighting makes everything look brown and dull.

7. Allegedly green star polyps.

8. My Zebra Turbo snail busy chowing down on some hair algae.

9. Cosmo, my YCG. He's probably the only true splash of color I have in the aquarium.

10. My green brittle star, Sir Raj, giving me the 'arm' for taking a shot.

11. Can you spot the hitchiking crab?

12. FTS on 7/11/2013.

Need some help with my stocking list for my marineland. If anyone wants to chime in with some valuable info, I'd appreciate it.

Current stocking (livestock I own including ones in QT):

1. Fish:

1 Juvi Misbar Occy Clown (tank-bred & in QT)

1 Occy Clown (wild caught & in QT)

1 Yellow Clown Goby

2. Inverts:

1 Astrea Snail

1 Zebra Turbo Snail

6 Nerite Snails

7 Nassarius Snails

1 Blood Fire Shrimp

1 Saron Shrimp

1 Candycane Pistol Shrimp

1 Whitespotted Anemone Shrimp

3 Dwarf Hermits

1 Electric Blue Hermit

1 Green Brittle Star

3. Corals:

Forest Green Galaxea

Brown Magician Palys

Radioactive Dragon Zoas

Fire and Ice Zoas

Eagle Eye Zoas

Purple Zoas (not sure what it's called)

Octofrogspawn

Rhodactis Mushroom

Ricordia yuma Mushroom

Brown Star Polyp

Green Pagoda Cup Coral

Green Favid (Brain) Coral

Things I intend to stock the tank with in the future:

1 Scooter Dragonet

1 Clown Blenny

1 Yasha goby/Hi-Fin Red banded Goby

1 Cleaner Skunk Shrimp

1 Pom Pom Crab

2 Tuxedo urchins/1 Tuxedo urchin + 1 Hairy Pincushion urchin

2 Turbo Snails

1 Conch

Pulsing Blue Xenia

Kenya Tree

Toadstool Leather

Elegance coral

Red Bali Brain

Green Hairy Mushroom

Purple Mushroom

Red Mushroom

Teal Striped Mushroom

Metallic Green Torch

Fox Coral

Hammer

Frogspawn

Maybe anything else that catches my eye.

Let me know what you think of this stocking list.

Some mini updates:

1. Look who I managed to snag from the LFS today:

This is Zeus. He's been QTed for over 6 months in my LFS - they pulled him out with a metallic green carpet nem from a 280G DT. I was told to purchase the nem along with him, but my tank isn't established or mature enough + that nem was very pricey. He's smaller than my tank-bred Misbar, Athena, so I'm hoping he'll be the male clown in their quirky relationship. He's currently being QTed in a rubber bin, and will be shifted to the 30G along with Athena sometime next week.

2. I also managed to snag a free Astrea snail.

3. Got a green brain LPS as well.

4. And also managed to get this small Forest Green Galaxea for only RM 10.

That's all for now; stay tuned! :)

oooh, I like that galaxea and brain. :D

Thank you! I love the galaxea especially. They had large sloping ones, but boy, were those expensive! I managed to get the tiniest frag for only U$D3.00. :P

I have two wonderful reefing mentors that live close by to my residence, and guide me frequently. So here's a preview of their tanks - I can only hope that someday, my tank will thrive and flourish as theirs.

Here's Alan A's tank: (sorry, can't reveal their full names)

He unfortunately decommed this tank in 2008 due to work. However, he has set up a brand new cube tank in Singapore which is just as lovely:

And here's my 2nd mentor, Ash P's tank:

So hopefully, my tank will someday be able to mature and own up to theirs. :)

Awesome tanks!

Somehow I missed the question, but small flashers/fairys would be fine with a scooter. They eat from the water column and not off the rocks. Feed them frequently!

Archived