inTank Media Baskets

Fell in Love with a Clam. :)

Snow_Phoenix

I saw this gorgeous adorable maxima clam (approx. 2" long) at my LFS.

I currently have 2 T5HO bulbs with a total output of 48W, with one 10K Daylight tube and another Actinic Blue tube. My tank is 30" x 15" x 15".

Will my light be powerful enough to sustain the clam in the long-term? I'll be dosing Aquacraft's All-in-One Reef supplements and phyto and zoo for the little guy if it comes down to it.

If you add another couple T5s, making it 4 total, I think that would be minimum for the clam IMO. If you are going to get an LED fixture, I would not just get 17 watts of some cheapo LEDs though. Do it right and get a fixture that others on the site have used with success. A cheap LED setup will not do anything for the clam.

He's right if its only 17w it probably won't do any good id double or triple your light out put. I'd buy another set of t5 and then grab that clam and if u need to add more light

duncan-junkie

Give me the clam!! LOL!!

What these guys said.....your going to have to buy a new fixture. Which is gonna cost you a pretty penny. Even though, clams are beautiful and very hard to resist....you might wanna take the little guy back before it dies 8( I've also heard that smaller maximas (2" and under) are harder to keep alive and require more effort in the feeding department.

Haha! No worries, I'll save up more money and get another set of T5s then. It might take a while, but I heard maximas are tough and croceas are better for new clam-keepers. I'll try to snag one then (once more light has been added).

jedimasterben

Yeah, you got that a little bit backwards. Crocea are the least forgiving, then maxima, then derasa, then squamosa, then gigas.

duncan-junkie

Get a Duresa clam, there suposed to be the easiest, and they have some pretty color morphs too

Or get some cleaner clams, and if that doesn't work....your screwed!! HA!

Archived