inTank Media Baskets

Keeping a Zoa Eating Nudibranch

GaminKWB

11/05

Hes pretty much doubled in size since I found him. His cerata is definitely much more orange. More than any of the pictures suggest. Its hard to get clean shots right now because hes pretty small and I am working with a phone camera. He was venturing around on the glass so I got some pics from different angles.

The Zoas that are in with him still appear to be okay. They have lost a little luster but none appear 'dead' or 'dying'. Any of the Zoas near where he is currently at are closed, but because he moves around they all open at one point or another. I am thinking of breaking them up even further and spreading them around the jar to allow more to stay open and feed at any given time.

wJLJkQ1s.jpgE4ep1wCs.jpgkiTDBtxs.jpgcZeFpQAs.jpgAxvWbGcs.jpgE4D18cPs.jpg0gEq4Djs.jpg

10/31

I spotted this bugger in my tank yesterday.

COrCFTks.jpgLz8HouDs.jpgyu9cNyws.jpg

I've always thought they were neat looking, but I understand how dangerous they can be in a tank. So I pulled him out of my tank and fragged out some zoas that I got for about $5 and threw them into a small glass container together. He's harder to see in these shots, but he is on the left side of the polyp front and center. Once you spot him its easier to see.

9Qybe2Ds.jpga2AK8D7s.jpg

(All the polyps are shut because this is moments after the fragging and relocation)

Has anyone ever attempted to keep a Zoa Eating Nudibranch? How large do they get? How many polyps (average-sized) will they consume in a day/week/month? Do they asexually reproduce?

Edit: I already checked all my Zoas for eggs. Did not see any. I will be monitoring all my Zoas closely for the next few weeks.

Bump. Trying to find out if anyone has ever kept a Zoa Eating Nudibranch and maybe some details on them.

Hes turned orange (from purple) due to the new Zoas I gave him.

I would kill it before it reproduces and you have some big problems.

Hes been isolated into a small jar with a zoa frag specific for him. Hes not in my main tank.

Hes been isolated into a small jar with a zoa frag specific for him. Hes not in my main tank.

Oh, well in that case keep us updated on how it does and if you end up having more later on.

Archived