Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Those baskets are so cool...like little milk crates. That should work out perfectly for you. You can peek through and see what's popping out at the bottom of the rock this way.

$1 a basket at the Dollar Tree! Don't ya think I should cut them in half? Then they'll be 3" off the sand.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$1 a basket at the Dollar Tree! Don't ya think I should cut them in half? Then they'll be 3" off the sand.

I think cutting would be ok...as long as you'll still be able to see underneath.

I think cutting would be ok...as long as you'll still be able to see underneath.

Sand will only be an inch deep so I think it'll be fine. Going now to cut.

Hey! I'm new around here, but just wanted to let you know I'm following! You've got a great story and some nice skills! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers!

Hey! I'm new around here, but just wanted to let you know I'm following! You've got a great story and some nice skills! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers!

Thanks. I learned so much from following. New here and new to reefing? Or new here but not new to the hobby?

You have some great silicone skills. That sump looks awesome! subscribed

Thank You. Now I just have to try to either diamond cut or use a glass bit to shave down 1 more piece of glass with the Dremel, then I can put the higher baffle in and then the one that makes up the left fuge wall. Never done any of this before and I know it's not the biggest tank but I'm also using tools I've never used before. My husband used them, I've never personally done it. And we didn't use those in Industrial Arts in 6th grade when I made a puddle jumper helicopter thingy. I think I'm pretty resourceful -- I think he'd be proud of me. Just trying to figure it all out, in more ways than one ;)

Thanks. I learned so much from following. New here and new to reefing? Or new here but not new to the hobby?

I'm currently in the planning and acquisition stages of my 2nd tank. The first was a FOWLR that I could only keep up for about a year. A move and a marriage caused me to have to break it down and find homes for all my fish. BUT, it's now a bit over a year later in a newly built house and a new reef tank is part of the decorating plans! :)

So, being in Colorado, you have an awesome chance at going to MACNA next year then! How fantastic.

And I just got an email from KP Aquatics- my uncured live rock ships out tomorrow!!! What a treat!!!

So, being in Colorado, you have an awesome chance at going to MACNA next year then! How fantastic.

And I just got an email from KP Aquatics- my uncured live rock ships out tomorrow!!! What a treat!!!

Wait, tomorrow is already today, didn't notice what time it was.

One of my favorite things about the hobby is getting boxes at the door. So more pictures on Halloween of the rock order? That Kessil is a cool looking light. I knew a reefer that grew zoas under one like weeds.

lnglostsurfer

That's awesome that the live rock is coming! Just as a heads up, most aquacultured live rock in the gulf comes from fairly shallow water (~25 feet or less). Also, most of it is just thrown down in the bottom into piles, chances are there will be a definite "bottom" to the pieces of live rock as far as life (and algae/macro/coralline) goes. An LFS in St Pete where I lived in Florida used to culture their own live rock out in the gulf. Starts as dry rock and they literally just have rows of it that they alternate through. Goes through about a 2 year process to get where it needs to be. You will be really happy with what you get. It's a cool process from what I talked to the owner about it. If I go to a bigger tank I may end up ordering from the same company. What was the total cost per pound after shipping?

One of my favorite things about the hobby is getting boxes at the door. So more pictures on Halloween of the rock order? That Kessil is a cool looking light. I knew a reefer that grew zoas under one like weeds.

The lfs I bought from a state over had both Kessils and Maxspect up. I asked which grew corals better and rendered better coral color? He said Kessils. I said Ok, that was it- I liked both lights but that was what I needed to know. Forgot that today is already the tomorrow. Oops, excited. Yes, probably will get a picture. I like pics. One thing I'm going to have to get, I want a grandis paly in this tank, not the cinnamon but the green lavenderish ones.

That's awesome that the live rock is coming! Just as a heads up, most aquacultured live rock in the gulf comes from fairly shallow water (~25 feet or less). Also, most of it is just thrown down in the bottom into piles, chances are there will be a definite "bottom" to the pieces of live rock as far as life (and algae/macro/coralline) goes. An LFS in St Pete where I lived in Florida used to culture their own live rock out in the gulf. Starts as dry rock and they literally just have rows of it that they alternate through. Goes through about a 2 year process to get where it needs to be. You will be really happy with what you get. It's a cool process from what I talked to the owner about it. If I go to a bigger tank I may end up ordering from the same company. What was the total cost per pound after shipping?

$7.64 per lb so 35 lbs w/ overnight shipping $267.50. The 2 lfs here sell rock that's uglier and cost more than that. If I went w/ partial curing, where they hold it and cure it for 1.5 wks, shipping woulda been down to 75. If I bought cured, it would've been more like $5 per lb. I couldn't complain w/ the first quote whatsoever.

Yeah those Grandis palys are really neat. Are you going to join my secret santa gift exchange this year? :) We have done it for a few years but this year is going to be the best. Why? Because I am running it this year.

Yeah those Grandis palys are really neat. Are you going to join my secret santa gift exchange this year? :) We have done it for a few years but this year is going to be the best. Why? Because I am running it this year.

I don't know anything about that but sounds fun. Yeah, let me know what it's all about. I gotta get to bed now, I didn't sleep good until after 3am last night so I'm exhausted and waking up at 6:30 is never my ideal wake up time.

I will be putting up a thread in the next 7-10 days explaining it all. Have a good night look forward to the rock order pictures. New tank new tank woot woot :)

lnglostsurfer

$7.64 per lb so 35 lbs w/ overnight shipping $267.50. The 2 lfs here sell rock that's uglier and cost more than that. If I went w/ partial curing, where they hold it and cure it for 1.5 wks, shipping woulda been down to 75. If I bought cured, it would've been more like $5 per lb. I couldn't complain w/ the first quote whatsoever.

That's not bad at all. Though I think I'm going to end up using base rock from BRS. We'll see, I can't wait to see your rock in there. Have you thought about what other fish you're planning on putting in there? I know you said Slim and Slide were going in but wasn't sure what else you were thinking about.

I will be putting up a thread in the next 7-10 days explaining it all. Have a good night look forward to the rock order pictures. New tank new tank woot woot :)

awesome- I'll look for it. Finally checked my kitchen sink water w/ a friends TDS meter. 38. the one on my new BRS Stage 4 Plus is not reading the incoming. Out it's zero which is good and it is reading that one so that's a positive thing for me. I'll still probably go on Amazon and get a meter.

That's not bad at all. Though I think I'm going to end up using base rock from BRS. We'll see, I can't wait to see your rock in there. Have you thought about what other fish you're planning on putting in there? I know you said Slim and Slide were going in but wasn't sure what else you were thinking about.

I'm thinking of a mated pair of blue gobys as those others I have are pinkish. Also thinking of a white tiger goby (circus goby). Not sure which both.

Those circus gobies can be hard to find sometimes. Tomorrow is Halloween wonder if you will have any crazy creatures in your rock? Muuuuuaahhhhhhh :)

What otherwise might be a good pairing in there w/ tailspot and 6-line? I don't know so much about combining. But if they remain small, considering it's a 34 gallon would I be able to have 5 two-inch fish?

I'm sure am hoping for some creepy crawlies and having the baskets w/ the rock on top and can look more easily with the red flashlight in the sand. maybe if I get some bad crab I can put him in the back part of the Evolve 8 until I get my fuge set up. But then I don't know if it would be good for the fuge either. We'll see. They said every 400-500 lbs they see a mantis so I'm not expecting that but I wouldn't mind a pistol shrimp which they said was common.

Archived