Pod Your Reef

Internet's 20L Reef. New LEDs!

Internet

Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread for my tank as suggested by an Admin!

Equipment:

Filter: AquaClear 70. With BioMax rings and ChemiPure Elite.

Skimmer: Aquaticlife 115 It was a pain in the ass.

Lighting: LEDS

Heater: 100w Ehiem Jager

Flow: Korolia Nano 425

Sand+Rock: 20lbs~ "dead" sand + 9~ pounds of live rock and 7 pounds of Dry base rock.

Current Live Stock: 50~ Snails and 3 Blue Leg Hermits, GSP, Mushroom, GSP, and a kenya tree. And 2 OSC clowns.

Future Planned Live Stock: 2 osc Clowns and MAYBE one other fish, we'll see. As far as coral goes I want to have GSP, Hammers + Torches, and just other random corals.

At this point the tank has been up for around 6 weeks, everything looks good except for the PH and Phosphates, with are at 7.8 stable and .25 for Phosphates. I have been dosing to raise my Alkalinity and for phosphates I put in some Chemipure Elite and it doesn't seem to be working.

Pictures:

FTS:

BIHkej5.png

Snail:

NqKtpC1.png

Some aptasia >.>: q8c38bZ.png

Surface Agitation:

PPrAL0E.png

Thanks for looking guys, if you have any question feel free to PM me or ask here! I will be updating this thead with new additions to the tank/changes... so yeah.

Howdy Internet.

Nice start. I'm thinking of setting up a 20L myself. You think the phosphates are leaching from that dry base rock?

Get rid of that aiptasia, right quick before they take over. Don't ask me how I know.

Howdy Internet.

Nice start. I'm thinking of setting up a 20L myself. You think the phosphates are leaching from that dry base rock?

Get rid of that aiptasia, right quick before they take over. Don't ask me how I know.

It may be a possibility, but then again I did ghost feed the tank to start the cycle and may have some detritus on the sand, which I think may be the problem?

And will defiantly get rid of it. Not sure of the best way to go about it.

And will defiantly get rid of it. Not sure of the best way to go about it.

If you just have a few, you can mix some Kalk powder in some water to form a milky liquid, then use a dropper to "feed" the aiptasia. Doesn't take much before the aiptasia just crumples up and later perishes. Some people use boiling (RODI) water and a baster to do the same thing.

lnglostsurfer

Hands down the best way to get rid of them if you have nothing in there yet, pull out the rocks and pinpoint where they are (they are hard to see when you pull the rock out of the water) and then torch them or hit them with a lighter. Literally burn them off. I didn't find boiling water to be very efficient but I also didn't have a syringe to inject it. I had a couple aptasia make it into this tank and fire has been the best way so far.

Other than that the setup looks pretty good so far. Looks like you have good flow, hopefully with no dead spots. Not sure about the biorings since I have never actually used them myself, I'm sure others will chime in. A lot of people with the AC 70 get Stevie T's media baskets and will run chaeto algae in it as a small fuge. Would probably be a big help with your phosphates, especially if it is the dry rock leaching out a bit. Where did you pick up your live rock and dry rock? I would say if your ammonia and nitrites are down to zero and nitrates are minimal (under 5-10) you are safe to start adding some hardy corals and maybe a fish. Just start slow, no need to rush anything.

lnglostsurfer

Oh and you may want to hit up John Maloney at reefcleaners.org. You will be able to get a pack of snails for probably 20 bucks to get some variety in there. (and he sends tons of snails, one of the best guys I have probably ever dealt with). Variety in snails will insure they eat different things in the tank (detritus, extra food, algae, etc)

Hands down the best way to get rid of them if you have nothing in there yet, pull out the rocks and pinpoint where they are (they are hard to see when you pull the rock out of the water) and then torch them or hit them with a lighter. Literally burn them off. I didn't find boiling water to be very efficient but I also didn't have a syringe to inject it. I had a couple aptasia make it into this tank and fire has been the best way so far.

Other than that the setup looks pretty good so far. Looks like you have good flow, hopefully with no dead spots. Not sure about the biorings since I have never actually used them myself, I'm sure others will chime in. A lot of people with the AC 70 get Stevie T's media baskets and will run chaeto algae in it as a small fuge. Would probably be a big help with your phosphates, especially if it is the dry rock leaching out a bit. Where did you pick up your live rock and dry rock? I would say if your ammonia and nitrites are down to zero and nitrates are minimal (under 5-10) you are safe to start adding some hardy corals and maybe a fish. Just start slow, no need to rush anything.

Thanks! that seems like a great method to kill them, I will definitely go this route.

I actually have my protein skimmer inside the media basket right now along with the Bio-rings and Chemipure Elite, but I have thought about getting one of those baskets. It just seems really expensive for what it is. Half the live rock is from ALSM and the other half is from Mountians to Sea, the live rock from ALSM wasnt "live" enough (but then again it didn't have aptasia) so I picked up the rest from Mountains to Sea. The base rock is from Reefrocks.net and seems good so far, I just hope its not the cause of the phosphates.

WOW, reef cleaners has some great prices!! I sent them an email on their "Custom Clean up Crews" thing and hopefully they can help me out. Seems like a nice and professional business.

John at ReefCleaners is an awesome guy. His prices are great and he does great business.

I look forward to his response, but what I really appreciate is that the shipping isn't 30$ just for snails.

I just got their custom 40 B and my tanks never been cleaner :) Your tank is looking great :) Good start!

Thats great! One question though, did you any dead on arrival? I've never ordered live stock online and I'm just curious about the procedure and what it looks like when you receive them.

And thank you, I checked out your 40b and all I have to say is wow! The colors are amazing and it has a nice clean look!

You may want to order a smaller crew that you need...he has a problem counting which everyone loves about him! ;)

I agree with the fire. I had some Mojano's and SCORCHED EARTH THOSE BADBOYS! That's how I got rid of mine!

I look forward to his response, but what I really appreciate is that the shipping isn't 30$ just for snails.

Thats great! One question though, did you any dead on arrival? I've never ordered live stock online and I'm just curious about the procedure and what it looks like when you receive them.

And thank you, I checked out your 40b and all I have to say is wow! The colors are amazing and it has a nice clean look!

Thank you kind sir ! :)

John ships them almost dry - just a tiny bit of water and a wet paper towel - he know this is the correct way to ship these inter tidal snails.

John is also terrible at counting...my 20 or so dwarf ceriths turned out to be at least 80!

I did have some losses - I lost every single large florida cerith (about 40) but it had nothing to do with John...we're rural and my mail lady had them sitting from 5 am to 2 pm on the dashboard of her minivan right on top of her hot air vent in full sun....she literally boiled them. I told John and he instantly offered a refund (which I actually refused as a) it wasn't his fault and B) I still had wayyyyy more than enough snails without them lol. He did insist on adding some to my next order though.

I guarantee you can't go wrong with John at reefcleaners. If it wasn't for my mail lady everything would have been fine and he'll NEVER not do the customer right - he also, like I said, is horrible at math so 20 snails often turns into 75 or so lol..

Don't ever worry about ordering from ReefCleaners :)

Hey you have to join the 40B club too (link on my siggy) :)

You may want to order a smaller crew that you need...he has a problem counting which everyone loves about him! ;)

I agree with the fire. I had some Mojano's and SCORCHED EARTH THOSE BADBOYS! That's how I got rid of mine!

Hmm, I'm just going to let him decide what I need with the custom crew thing. We'll see what he chooses :)

Alrighty then! I will burn those little pests tonight, I bet it smells horrible though.

lnglostsurfer

All of the large ceriths I got from John were dormant for at least a week or so then all of a sudden came back and started doing their thing. I know they can often take quite awhile to wake back up.

Scorched Earth used to be one of my favorite games to play...I believe back on my 486/66? Probably why physics was always so easy for me back in school...haha

Thank you kind sir ! :)

John ships them almost dry - just a tiny bit of water and a wet paper towel - he know this is the correct way to ship these inter tidal snails.

John is also terrible at counting...my 20 or so dwarf ceriths turned out to be at least 80!

I did have some losses - I lost every single large florida cerith (about 40) but it had nothing to do with John...we're rural and my mail lady had them sitting from 5 am to 2 pm on the dashboard of her minivan right on top of her hot air vent in full sun....she literally boiled them. I told John and he instantly offered a refund (which I actually refused as a) it wasn't his fault and B) I still had wayyyyy more than enough snails without them lol. He did insist on adding some to my next order though.

I guarantee you can't go wrong with John at reefcleaners. If it wasn't for my mail lady everything would have been fine and he'll NEVER not do the customer right - he also, like I said, is horrible at math so 20 snails often turns into 75 or so lol..

Don't ever worry about ordering from ReefCleaners :)

Hey you have to join the 40B club too (link on my siggy) :)

You ordered 20 snails and got 70-80?! I didn't think he would be that bad at counting, I would expect maybe 10-15 extra, but that's just crazy haha!

lnglostsurfer

And Shawn has been working hard on getting rid of her aptasia, her tanks are already 100x better than they were when I bought rock from her (grrr!). One of the small tanks she has in the front by the desk is for breeding berghia's so she is spreading them throughout her liverock tanks. Haven't seen too many aptasia recently but it's hard to get rid of all of them.

And Shawn has been working hard on getting rid of her aptasia, her tanks are already 100x better than they were when I bought rock from her (grrr!). One of the small tanks she has in the front by the desk is for breeding berghia's so she is spreading them throughout her liverock tanks. Haven't seen too many aptasia recently but it's hard to get rid of all of them.

Oh yeah, for sure. I mean with that much rock you cant get rid of all of them. She does a good job keeping them under control, and the rocks I got were filled with life! As in star fish, bristleworms, sponges, and a polyp or 2, which has seemed to have died though, :( maybe the phosphates??

Scorched Earth used to be one of my favorite games to play...I believe back on my 486/66? Probably why physics was always so easy for me back in school...haha

LOL Yeah, I remember playing that wayyyyyyyyy back in the day. We even rocked it in college. Sometimes 5 of us geeks would get together with beer and waste each other.

lnglostsurfer

Haha yup!! I actually had it running on a Linux platform I had on my old laptop before it died. At one point I think I had a full 10 people trying to play but it was almost impossible to keep up with who's turn it was. Took a good half hour before it got back to you and chances are you were already dead. But from what little I can remember there was a few games of beer pong going on in the background...

Sorry to highjack the thread internet, just always fun when some old memories come up in random places.

lnglostsurfer

I like the cave man, turned out great! Make sure you have it far enough away from the glass to where you can clean it or you will drive yourself nuts later on when the algae really builds up and you have to move rocks to clean...speaking from experience here.

Archived