inTank Media Baskets

29 Gallon Biocube Reef Journal-My First Saltwater Aquarium!

Braden8558

If I had your tank, the first thing I'd do would be:

-Get rid of the maroons

-Get rid of one of the nems

-Upgrade my lights to support the remaining nem

-Get a better pump and skimmer

-Add better CUC to clean up the algae on the rocks

-Add more rocks (5kg for filtration isn't enough) - easily another 5kg (11 lbs) of them and rescape the tank

-Add four nano fish with LOW bioload spaced out over six months such as a mated pair of firefish, a YCG and a TSB

OR

-Add a pair of Occys (HIGH bioload) and 1 TSB spaced out over six months

-Call the tank stocked/overstocked

BUT

I'd do this over a period of six months and SLOW DOWN.

Running a marine tank isn't a race or competition. And you need to do things slowly and smartly in this hobby to succeed. If you get twitchy and impatient (like I do sometimes), focus on something else like tiny coral frags first. Corals have very low bioloads so adding a few during your downtime period between fish additions won't hurt your tank.

However, you're setting yourself up here for failure over here. As someone who has made mistakes in this hobby before, I just have this to say: PLEASE LISTEN to what people are trying to tell you. Even though I fancy myself as a 'rebel' as well (I currently own a green brittle star in a reef tank), I still make an effort to listen and google up as much as I can/read as much as I can before doing anything to my tank.

I don't want to see you fail. Some people on this site might laugh and say, 'told you so!' but I'll be sad for you should your tank crash (and it inadvertently will, at the rate you're going). But I won't feel sorry for you. Sad, but definitely not sorry.

Please do more reading on bioloads and stocking plans. Ask questions actively. You can push boundaries, but you must know which boundary to push, when.

Sorry if I came off rude, but I really hate it when people make avoidable mistakes.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had your tank, the first thing I'd do would be:

-Get rid of the maroons

-Get rid of one of the nems

-Upgrade my lights to support the remaining nem

-Get a better pump and skimmer

-Add better CUC to clean up the algae on the rocks

-Add more rocks (5kg for filtration isn't enough) - easily another 5kg (11 lbs) of them and rescape the tank

-Add four nano fish with LOW bioload spaced out over six months such as a mated pair of firefish, a YCG and a TSB

OR

-Add a pair of Occys (HIGH bioload) and 1 TSB spaced out over six months

-Call the tank stocked/overstocked

BUT

I'd do this over a period of six months and SLOW DOWN.

Running a marine tank isn't a race or competition. And you need to do things slowly and smartly in this hobby to succeed. If you get twitchy and impatient (like I do sometimes), focus on something else like tiny coral frags first. Corals have very low bioloads so adding a few during your downtime period between fish additions won't hurt your tank.

However, you're setting yourself up here for failure over here. As someone who has made mistakes in this hobby before, I just have this to say: PLEASE LISTEN to what people are trying to tell you. Even though I fancy myself as a 'rebel' as well (I currently own a green brittle star in a reef tank), I still make an effort to listen and google up as much as I can/read as much as I can before doing anything to my tank.

I don't want to see you fail. Some people on this site might laugh and say, 'told you so!' but I'll be sad for you should your tank crash (and it inadvertently will, at the rate you're going). But I won't feel sorry for you. Sad, but definitely not sorry.

Please do more reading on bioloads and stocking plans. Ask questions actively. You can push boundaries, but you must know which boundary to push, when.

Sorry if I came off rude, but I really hate it when people make avoidable mistakes.

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the response. I do plan to get more lighting, and also possibly get some snails to work on my algae. I already have emerald crabs and they did clean a lot of it off. I was wondering what I am doing wrong? I wouldn't really say I am rushing it. At first I may have been, but not right now. I want to upgrade my lights, get my pH in check, get some new corals and a little more rock. I added another piece of dry base rock and I also have some small pieces which were added to a section in the back which I use as a little refugium for chaeto and live rock. I do plan to get rid of the maroons but I don't feel like it is essential to do it yet? I like them and want to keep them for some more time. I also plan to get my own RODI unit and a koralia nano 425 circulation pump. I just find that you are being a bit harsh on my setup. I'm just a kid and don't have tons of money to throw into this thing. I am saving it up! What is your reason for getting rid of the other anemone? Is it because of the space limitations in the tank?

Thanks for the help, Braden

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Hi Braden,

You are already having water quality problems That is how you ended up with algae. Poor water quality is hard on your fish and even harder on your anemone. Getting rid of the maroons is a free way to start getting your water quality better. You might even be able to trade them for something you need, like a better clean up crew. For the anemones, the Biocube really isn't the best tank. The stock light is not strong enough, the display really isn't that big and you need more practice keeping your water quality high enough to meet the needs of the anemone. Just like the maroons, you could probably trade them for something your tank needs. Investing in more rock, to get yourself around 20 to 25 lbs, would be a great idea.

Good luck,

Jessica

Thanks Jessica, I bought the tank on craigslist used and setup and it had the algae with it. That has been mostly taken care of now, very little if any hair algae is still present. I also plan to upgrade my lights as I mentioned to LEDS. The main issue with my water quality is that my pH is low. Not sure why though. I haven't really done any big water changes on this tank yet just 1 small one. I will probably do some tests on the water soon, but not right now. I'm pretty sure it is around 7.9 or 8.0. Someone told me that I need more surface oxygen agitation and I have a seachem buffer which I purchased, but I am not sure whether or not I will use it yet. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Braden

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the response. I do plan to get more lighting, and also possibly get some snails to work on my algae. I already have emerald crabs and they did clean a lot of it off. I was wondering what I am doing wrong? I wouldn't really say I am rushing it. At first I may have been, but not right now. I want to upgrade my lights, get my pH in check, get some new corals and a little more rock. I added another piece of dry base rock and I also have some small pieces which were added to a section in the back which I use as a little refugium for chaeto and live rock. I do plan to get rid of the maroons but I don't feel like it is essential to do it yet? I like them and want to keep them for some more time. I also plan to get my own RODI unit and a koralia nano 425 circulation pump. I just find that you are being a bit harsh on my setup. I'm just a kid and don't have tons of money to throw into this thing. I am saving it up! What is your reason for getting rid of the other anemone? Is it because of the space limitations in the tank?

Thanks for the help, Braden

Actually you are rushing it a little. You have two bioload-heavy fish in your tank (maroons) followed by a sixline and a dottyback. I'd stop adding some more fish for now. Those Maroons have nasty tempers when they grow up, which is why most people are suggesting you get rid of them. A 29G cube simply won't be enough to host a pair.

And I understand that you're young and don't have money yet, but surely you'd have known that diving into salty means it's going to burn a hole in the wallet...? It's not exactly a cheap hobby. I have a 30G long and my setup + livestock has already cost me over 1K. And yes, I suggested that you get rid of the nem because of the space limitations as well as your water quality (which Jessica has already touched on). Nems require established, clean tanks to thrive. Right now yours are surviving, but not thriving. Whenever you place an animal in your tank, it is best for you to provide the best you can for it to thrive and live, and not merely exist.

Concentrate on getting a better CUC to clean up your algae, as well as some more dry rock for your tank. Then focus on small corals - things that are hard to kill like shrooms, before thinking over adding any other livestock. Also, do upgrade your skimmer since you're overstocking. I have a skimmer meant for a 125G tank on a 30G tank because I plan on doing 7 to 8 nano fish in there. Keep up with your weekly water changes as well.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I think using buffer for PH isn't a good idea. I have a bottle of the same thing sitting in my stand from the first time I set my tank up. I listened to the LFS too. When you chemically raise your pH, you might have pH swings which is worse, in my opinion, than a stable but lowish pH.

My suggestion is to test the water you are using for water changes. If you are mixing your own, test the water before and after you mix it. Then, you can see if you are starting with low pH or if something is happening to the pH in your tank. With the types of rock and sand in the tank should naturally buffer your pH.

You seem determined to do what you want to do and rationalize why you ignore the advice you asked for.

The main issue with my water quality is that my pH is low. Not sure why though. I haven't really done any big water changes on this tank yet just 1 small one. I will probably do some tests on the water soon, but not right now. I'm pretty sure it is around 7.9 or 8.0.

You state that your pH is low, then guesstimate it at 7.9 - 8.0 but you haven't tested your water. So in reality you have no idea what any of your water parameters are. Thinking like this will lead to disaster.

You seem determined to do what you want to do and rationalize why you ignore the advice you asked for.

You state that your pH is low, then guesstimate it at 7.9 - 8.0 but you haven't tested your water. So in reality you have no idea what any of your water parameters are. Thinking like this will lead to disaster.

Buddy that's not true. I am getting a lot of crap about the maroons and frankly I appreciate that people have told me about them, but I get it. I plan to get rid of them in the future before they become a problem in the tank. Right now the small one probably has the same bioload as a ocellaris and the other is not to large yet either so may just have a similar bioload as a large ocellaris. I will get rid of them in the future!!! But right now I'm planning on keeping them. They are worth more than the LFS would give me, and I want to get the most I can for them. I wouldn't call it ignoring advice. I have made up my decision and it's not a bad choice. They are not harmful to the tank right now so I see no problem.

Anyways second note is that I have tested the pH and it was 7.8 on 10/26/13 and yesterday it was between 7.8 and 8 as the API test kit is hard to read and doesn't have a 7.9 value so I can't tell. So instead of being rude please make sure you know the facts.

Thanks, Braden.

Not sure why, but I feel compelled to comment here. So here goes:

Dude, I think it's great that you got into this hobby and are fascinated with it. I can sense your interest and dedication to the system you have and the critters in it. I also truly believe in doing things your own way and learning through trial and error. Your young and no $$...I get it.

I got a Biocube 29 off craigslist from a guy just like you a long time ago. It came with EVERYTHING you can think of from test kits to supplements to freakin pumps, hoses, RODI system, meters...EVERYTHING you could hope to want as a newby. It also came with algae infested rock to the point that I had to scrub it all with a toothbrush because it was so out of control. There were 6 fish in there and they were small barnacle blennys and a couple others clown sized; shrimp; crabs you name it. So then, like you, I wanted the following: anemones, sps, more/different fish, etc. SO, I added these. Needless to say that did not work and you can read about it in my BC thread. I constantly had algae issues and the BC never looked cool. That is until I moved and eliminated a bunch of fish and added a skimmer. Then it started looking awesome. Again, success was due to less livestock (and proper water changes and chemistry). I didn't spend a bunch of money to make it nice. IMO you can stuff your BC with colorful mushrooms under a couple stunner strips and it will looks great.

And let me also say that right now I have about 40+ gallons, lots of rock that's been in a tank for YEARS, a full sump with ATO and a huge skimmer that pulls out tons of chunky crap daily, two bags of chemi pure (which I'm convinced doesn't really do much accept add clarity to the water), a massive clean up crew, and I STILL have cyano/algae issues which I either manually remove or do a blackout or both. And I have less fish than you plan to have in your BC.

The condy nem will continue to move because that's what they do and it will kill something or itself which will then kill something else which will then kill everything and you will be sad. The pooh from all the critters (EVERYTHING makes pooh) will build up and cause water chemistry issues and kill the anemone which will then kill everything else. This is fact dude. Not maybe it will happen, or let's see what happens... If you search 'problem with anemone' or 'algae issues' you will see your fate!

Anyway, I'm killing time at work and my thumbs are getting tired. Lol. We are helping you because we care and because we can tell you are very interested in a system that's enjoyable and cool. You want it to be cool don't you?

IMO do this:

Take out the nems

Take out all fish

Leave your rock

Make your parents order you a large clean up crew pack from www.reefcleaners.org

Get your favorite invert like a blood shrimp or something

Get a test kit (full API for $30)

This will give you a month or two and during that time your tank will stabilize

Then look at the beginner fish/nano fish section of www.liveaquaria.com and pick a MAXIMUM of 3 fish that serve a purpose in the tank (like 1 for cleaning the sand, 1 for eating algae off the rocks, and 1 for swimming around and looking cool. DO NOT get a Pygmy angel. See my thread. Won't work.

Then and ONLY then, start adding corals one by one with ONLY the ones you have to have and forget about the rest (like don't put some cheap polyps in there because they are cheap, instead get only a tiny frag and grow them)

Then during all this do weekly water changes of 5+ gallons

Mix your new saltwater overnight with a pump (don't just throw some salt in a bucket and stir it up. Again see my BC thread!)

Oh yeah, and if you must get sps, get ONLY montipora capricornis or digitata. These have the best chances of looking cool under lower lighting IMO (I'm sure there are different opinions on this)

I'm sure there is so much more but I'm getting arthritis typing all this. Good luck. I'll b following to see what happens.

And don't show your parents my sig quote. They will tell you not to listen to me. Lmao.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

+1 to what pschom said...all of that is really good advice. We are all just trying to keep you from making the same, upsetting, and expensive mistakes we did.

If you take no other piece of advice, go to Reefcleaners.org and order a custom clean up crew. You can save money on shipping by not getting hermits or anything that needs express shipping. My custom crew cost a $18 without shipping. Yours will probably be a bit more because you will want a heavy duty crew, but you will get an awesome deal. Reefcleaners is AWESOME and a good CUC is a really important investment.

And don't buy hermits!! They eat snails. Honestly I don't see the point of hermit crabs. Really. Anyone?

My electric blue leg hermit is quite good. But I had a scarlet one that was a total d*ck and went crazy on my Nass snails. Returned him back to the store within 24 hours. @___@

Thanks for the help guys!

Not sure why, but I feel compelled to comment here. So here goes:

Dude, I think it's great that you got into this hobby and are fascinated with it. I can sense your interest and dedication to the system you have and the critters in it. I also truly believe in doing things your own way and learning through trial and error. Your young and no $$...I get it.

I got a Biocube 29 off craigslist from a guy just like you a long time ago. It came with EVERYTHING you can think of from test kits to supplements to freakin pumps, hoses, RODI system, meters...EVERYTHING you could hope to want as a newby. It also came with algae infested rock to the point that I had to scrub it all with a toothbrush because it was so out of control. There were 6 fish in there and they were small barnacle blennys and a couple others clown sized; shrimp; crabs you name it. So then, like you, I wanted the following: anemones, sps, more/different fish, etc. SO, I added these. Needless to say that did not work and you can read about it in my BC thread. I constantly had algae issues and the BC never looked cool. That is until I moved and eliminated a bunch of fish and added a skimmer. Then it started looking awesome. Again, success was due to less livestock (and proper water changes and chemistry). I didn't spend a bunch of money to make it nice. IMO you can stuff your BC with colorful mushrooms under a couple stunner strips and it will looks great.

And let me also say that right now I have about 40+ gallons, lots of rock that's been in a tank for YEARS, a full sump with ATO and a huge skimmer that pulls out tons of chunky crap daily, two bags of chemi pure (which I'm convinced doesn't really do much accept add clarity to the water), a massive clean up crew, and I STILL have cyano/algae issues which I either manually remove or do a blackout or both. And I have less fish than you plan to have in your BC.

The condy nem will continue to move because that's what they do and it will kill something or itself which will then kill something else which will then kill everything and you will be sad. The pooh from all the critters (EVERYTHING makes pooh) will build up and cause water chemistry issues and kill the anemone which will then kill everything else. This is fact dude. Not maybe it will happen, or let's see what happens... If you search 'problem with anemone' or 'algae issues' you will see your fate!

Anyway, I'm killing time at work and my thumbs are getting tired. Lol. We are helping you because we care and because we can tell you are very interested in a system that's enjoyable and cool. You want it to be cool don't you?

IMO do this:

Take out the nems
Take out all fish
Leave your rock
Make your parents order you a large clean up crew pack from www.reefcleaners.org
Get your favorite invert like a blood shrimp or something
Get a test kit (full API for $30)
This will give you a month or two and during that time your tank will stabilize
Then look at the beginner fish/nano fish section of www.liveaquaria.com and pick a MAXIMUM of 3 fish that serve a purpose in the tank (like 1 for cleaning the sand, 1 for eating algae off the rocks, and 1 for swimming around and looking cool. DO NOT get a Pygmy angel. See my thread. Won't work.
Then and ONLY then, start adding corals one by one with ONLY the ones you have to have and forget about the rest (like don't put some cheap polyps in there because they are cheap, instead get only a tiny frag and grow them)
Then during all this do weekly water changes of 5+ gallons
Mix your new saltwater overnight with a pump (don't just throw some salt in a bucket and stir it up. Again see my BC thread!)
Oh yeah, and if you must get sps, get ONLY montipora capricornis or digitata. These have the best chances of looking cool under lower lighting IMO (I'm sure there are different opinions on this)

I'm sure there is so much more but I'm getting arthritis typing all this. Good luck. I'll b following to see what happens.

And don't show your parents my sig quote. They will tell you not to listen to me. Lmao.

I appreciate all you wrote but it doesn't really make sense to me. Nothing is wrong with the tank that it would need an overhaul so why would I do that? I want to keep the rock and the anemones to. I also do have money to spend however I don't want to use it all towards the reef. Taking it down and setting it back up would probably just cost more money when I have already been working on it and things are going good. I might want to get one more piece of live rock, my leds, RODI system, and some more water circulation, but other than that stuff nothing else is really bad except the pH which I have asked advice on and would appreciate some more opinions and thoughts. I did enjoy your biocube thread! Nice tank by the way!

+1 to what pschom said...all of that is really good advice. We are all just trying to keep you from making the same, upsetting, and expensive mistakes we did.

If you take no other piece of advice, go to Reefcleaners.org and order a custom clean up crew. You can save money on shipping by not getting hermits or anything that needs express shipping. My custom crew cost a $18 without shipping. Yours will probably be a bit more because you will want a heavy duty crew, but you will get an awesome deal. Reefcleaners is AWESOME and a good CUC is a really important investment.

Thanks. What would I want in the clean up crew? Right now it seems alright except I might want to get some more snails for algae on the glass. I have a couple hermit crabs (like 4 I believe), some emerald crabs (3 in the main tank I think and one big one banished to the back section for now). I also have a cleaner shrimp, 3 peppermints (none that ate the one aptasia I have :blink: . I also have a big turbo snail but I'm not sure if he is still alive. Last time I checked he was in the same place for a while but may have moved. I have a sandsifting starfish and some other stars called brittle stars. One big one and at least 1 small one, but I think that there may be multiple small ones. Anything else I should get? I think I need some snails. What kind are the best for my setup. Thanks, Braden

As my customary reply to this will be very self serving, I shall simply say good luck. And remember to feed twice a day and put a lot of live things in the rear chambers where they can't get food. And please give us updates with pics!

Eh, it's still self serving.

As my customary reply to this will be very self serving, I shall simply say good luck. And remember to feed twice a day and put a lot of live things in the rear chambers where they can't get food. And please give us updates with pics!

Eh, it's still self serving.

Whatever I said I appreciated the advice but it wasn't really clear why I should do it? I was just asking a questions. Don't really like when beginners are being treated rudely, if you are not willing to reply civilly then why not go to a different forum?

Thanks, Braden

Update: I think I might get two 450 gph hydor koralias to give me some balanced flow. How does that sound?

Sounds like you received some very sage advice from pschom.

I have had a bc29 for 2 years now, everything he mentioned, I believe to be true.

You stated that you were on a limited budget, the recommendations he made were born of experience, (If you continue with this hobby you may find that experience can be attained thru pricey lessons. Or not.

Consider for a moment, stepping back and re-evaluating your decision making process. A little humility now can pay major dividends in the future.

Best to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys. I actually found a very expiereinced reefer somewhat local who has multiple saltwater tanks in his basement and some of his display tanks (one in particular) is gorgeous. He has been reefing for 9 years and sells corals for dirt cheap, he also gave me advice. Basically what he said is that the maroons should be fine in there as long as they are not wild. He recommended taking the six line out as he can be a bully if I want to get anything else (like a goby) for the tank. He even said that a yellow tang could work in there as they don't spend much time free swimming, they are grazers and usually circle in areas for food. I am not gonna get a yellow tang for this tank but I may keep the maroons for a while longer. He also said that he has had maroons in the past and also has multiple clownfish right now (percula and ocellaris).

I got a taotronics 120 watt LED system from him and was wondering if this would give me a good amount of light over the biocube? I got it for $50 bucks and it looks awesome and he said to raise it a foot above the tank. How does this sound? The blues are incredible! The fans are noisy but he said I could only run one fan and be okay.

I also got a seio 530 gph circulation pump that seems to be doing well. I may eventually add more flow, but for now it seems like it is doing pretty good. He also reccomended against RO water and said for my situation to just use distilled from water. Will that work? He uses his tap because they have good water where he lives and by the look of his tanks and can say that whatever he is doing is really working well!

Pictures of corals should be coming up soon...Thanks, Braden

Thanks for the help guys. I actually found a very expiereinced reefer somewhat local who has multiple saltwater tanks in his basement and some of his display tanks (one in particular) is gorgeous. He has been reefing for 9 years and sells corals for dirt cheap, he also gave me advice. Basically what he said is that the maroons should be fine in there as long as they are not wild. He recommended taking the six line out as he can be a bully if I want to get anything else (like a goby) for the tank. He even said that a yellow tang could work in there as they don't spend much time free swimming, they are grazers and usually circle in areas for food. I am not gonna get a yellow tang for this tank but I may keep the maroons for a while longer. He also said that he has had maroons in the past and also has multiple clownfish right now (percula and ocellaris).

I got a taotronics 120 watt LED system from him and was wondering if this would give me a good amount of light over the biocube? I got it for $50 bucks and it looks awesome and he said to raise it a foot above the tank. How does this sound? The blues are incredible! The fans are noisy but he said I could only run one fan and be okay.

I also got a seio 530 gph circulation pump that seems to be doing well. I may eventually add more flow, but for now it seems like it is doing pretty good. He also reccomended against RO water and said for my situation to just use distilled from water. Will that work? He uses his tap because they have good water where he lives and by the look of his tanks and can say that whatever he is doing is really working well!

Pictures of corals should be coming up soon...Thanks, Braden

My thoughts on this reefer:

This reefers advise = LFS advise = Holy SHIT bad advise lol

Why? He probably has more tanks, been reefing longer, and not to be rude, but probably better looking tanks (as his was one of the best I have seen).

Listen to the advice you are getting... you'll be much happier later on. The reason why everyone is telling you to take your maroons and other fish out is because your tank is not ready for the bio-load you are wanting and currently have. And in general, do your own research before asking questions here. The guy who's selling you stuff is not the best source of information... he stands to make $$ of off of you unlike the people here. If he's telling you that Yellow tang's don't swim much, it's a sure sign that he may not know as much as you think

Thanks but he's a very smart guy and does not seem to be in it just for the profit. It seems like he does want to give advice. Everyone has there own opinions. I am not planning on putting a tang in there. I may keep the maroons in there depending on how large and aggressive they get.

Actinic Nigh timeTank Shot!

post-80949-0-89376900-1386219518_thumb.jpg

Full Tank Shot-Regular White/Blue Lights

post-80949-0-56788400-1386219544_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, Braden

He even said that a yellow tang could work in there as they don't spend much time free swimming, they are grazers and usually circle in areas for food. I am not gonna get a yellow tang for this tank but I may keep the maroons for a while longer. He also said that he has had maroons in the past and also has multiple clownfish right now (percula and ocellaris)[/]

You should get a whale shark for that tank. I hear the babies are small and don't swim much. You'll need a constant source of food, but you should be able to dose it twice daily with a thick culture. Ask your local reefer. Post pics!

Archived