Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bali AquaRich Black Picasso Clownfish Spawning Pair

kmaintl

Acquired 5/2/2013 - Female 3.5" Male 2.75"
From Bali AquaRich Indonesia. Some crazy markings. Was going to re-pair them with a Doni's Snowcasso each and only keep a pair, but found out that they bonded immediately. While I was away for vacation in Europe, a breeder friend babysat them for me. 2 months later, the pair has a first Spawn 7/9/2013 (only about 50 eggs) for him. Will wait after the first few clutches before hatching the first batch of eggs. Since I didn't intend to breed nor do I know anything about breeding, my pair is with a breeder friend. He will be hatching the 7th spawn from 10/4 if all goes well. My first time ever having babies for marine fish and my first 100% Bali Aquarich batch to be spawn and raised in USA. Exciting hatching the first clutch!

post-75466-0-59448900-1381909452_thumb.jpg

- Notes -
This black picasso clownfish pair is bred by Wen-Ping Su of Bali Aquarich in Indonesia, who is becoming the world renowned breeder as he is not only successful with designer clownfishes, but has successfully bred one of the rarest and most difficult angelfishes in captivity, the Clarion angelfish. This is Bali Aquarich renowned Black Picasso Clownfish as they name it, which is a Picasso Percula. This designer clown occurs naturally in the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea but is exceptionally rare and most assume that this is where Bali broodstock is from. "Captive raised specimens were created in 2004 with a single wild picasso through selective breeding. They are characterized by two or more of the centrally located irregular white patterns touching, a bright orange body color outlined by thick black edges. As they mature the black coloration develops significantly, filling the orange, between the white patterns." Bali Aquarich has pride themselves in getting the jet black along with the bright orange and white coloring and crazy insane patterns.

OK... we are waiting on the 9th spawn now. Looks like this pair might be a little immature even though they are giant in size. Maybe a few more spawns before the get the routine down. :D

Hi Ed, here's my pair of Bali Picassos. I was told they are P1 when I bought them, maybe you can check for me and see what you think? I did check with LA and they said P1 is the designation from the breeder so hopefully that's accurate :unsure: This is from when I first got them.

absolutely gorgeous pair! your male is a true P1. you're probably one of the very few that has a true P1.

Cool, so just so I'm sure, the one with more white and the spots on one side is the P1? On this video (when I first got them) I said that was the female but it's actually the male. I wasn't sure until the female grew much faster and larger.

Cool, so just so I'm sure, the one with more white and the spots on one side is the P1? On this video (when I first got them) I said that was the female but it's actually the male. I wasn't sure until the female grew much faster and larger.

the one that is near the top of the QT most of the time is the true P1 according the Bali Aquarich breeder's definition. I was told the same for my pair that they were P1, but after much research and then some discussions with the Bali breeder, my pair are not true P1, so I just refer to them as black picassos as to not further any confusion about grading.

both 7th & 8th spawns, not enough eggs leftover to work with. Looks like 9th spawn was tonight! They've been a consistent 13 days except spawn 8 and 9. 8th was 15 days and 9th is now 17 days... what a stretch.

Looks like a decent size clutch. Male still having problems pushing female out of the way, so he can do his job... inexperience. LoL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After 12 spawns, it didn't improve much... never enough eggs to hatch on hatch night. My breeder friend and I decided to re-pair them a few days ago with a proven producing pair. The Bali female is now with a Doni's Snowcasso and the Bali male is with a iBlueWater potentially wild caught Onyx female. In the meantime, I grab some more photos from the Bali breeder of his stock.

post-75466-0-72390000-1388258016_thumb.jpg

post-75466-0-10118200-1388258028_thumb.jpg

post-75466-0-33920500-1388258038_thumb.jpg

the bali male was re-paired with a 4" female onyx from ibluewater, possibly wild caught onyx. night the bali male had a 300-400 clutch. now we can figure what's going on with the original bali pair.

• 2 weeks later...

great news, last night was hatch night for the onyx x bali male and there were 200 eggs remaining, all with eyes and spines. decided not to hatch them and today, there is still 200 eggs. so, guess there's no problem with the male. waiting on the female bali x snowcasso to spawn.

Bali male x Onyx female consumed all the eggs on day 10, ready to spawn again in a couple of days. Bali female x Doni's snowcasso still nothing yet. Looks like she's skipping one or two spawns. Luckily, my breeder friend has a proven Bali female than we can re-pair with the Bali male if we need to go that direction. He has one gorgeous pair of Bali x Doni.

Are you breeding these yourself?

Where might one procure offspring?

There is no 100% Bali x Bali offspring available in USA yet as that hasn't been produced to date and made available. A breeder friend locally is helping me with spawning my personal pair and we are trying to figure out why they aren't producing yet. As for 100% Bali, at this moment, have to buy adults imported directly from Bali Aquarich in Indonesia.

Later this summer, there looks like possibly a couple of breeders who may have Bali x Bali offsprings available.

Archived