ReefCleaners.org

Trav's Mr. Aqua 7.5g (Now Making Waves!)

Travis

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What diameter size are you using for the drain and return lines? In the coming weeks I'll be plumbing my Mr. Aqua 11 gallon as an upgrade because I'm moving it to a stand I just built, and I'd like to gain some input as to what you have going on. Thanks

I'm using a 3/4" line for both the drain and the return. It works well, but if I were you I would defiantly have to say use a 1" for the drain and a 3/4" for the return. You'll be able to get more flow that way. I'm not overall pleased with the flow I am able to get from a 3/4" drain. I'll curb this issue by using a smaller tipped nozzle at the end of the return to get more pressure.

Nice! Woot Woot, indeed :)

I'm using a 3/4" line for both the drain and the return. It works well, but if I were you I would defiantly have to say use a 1" for the drain and a 3/4" for the return. You'll be able to get more flow that way. I'm not overall pleased with the flow I am able to get from a 3/4" drain. I'll curb this issue by using a smaller tipped nozzle at the end of the return to get more pressure.

Much appreciated. The specs you recommend were what I was looking at, but it's nice having being told upfront to solidify the decision. How do you like the performance of the Mag pump so far? And does the Aqueon silicone seem to be holding strong on those baffles?

Well I've always used mag pumps, can't beat'em. I've used a mag pump on every tank I've setup since 2004.

I set the tank up to water test for 6 hours and the silicone held just fine. I haven't set the tank up just yet, still building the stand.

Can't wait to get a look at the stand. I'm essentially finished with mine - just underwent shoulder surgery so I can't do much to complete it for the time being, but I have to get better pictures since my phone's camera is dropping in quality. Take a look if you wouldn't mind, always looking to improve upon something (it's posted under my introduction thread)

Great start! Is this your first saltwater tank?

No it isn't. I've kept nano reefs since 2004. I find the same level of excitement in all of my builds :)

However, this is my first tank in 3-4 years. My life has gone through quite a few changes in the past 5 years that has kept me from keeping a tank.

Woot! Got the stand painted and assembled!

dydyne2a.jpg

6u9agu2y.jpg

9unazypy.jpg

The light bracket/shroud will be painted on Monday! :D

Stay tuned folks, things are about to get wet!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I ruined my mag 3 pump...it sucked up a filter pad in the middle of the night last night and now it has a serious chatter to it.

It was 9 years old so this gave me the excuse to buy a new one.

I ordered a Sicce Syncra 1.5 357 gph pump. Looks like a good pump.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Sicce_Syncra_Silent_Multifunction_Aquarium_Pump_Up_to_500_Gallons_Per_Hour_Submersible_Aquarium_Pumps-Sicce_USA-XJ1131-FIWPSBUF-vi.html

Also ordered a small ehim power head to help facilitate water changes from the sump.

Thanks!

Well I'm wanting to do zoas rics and lps. The wife wants a green with purple tip frogspawn and the kids want a baby clownfish. May also have a yellow clown goby.

Update...

adehenem.jpg

All is well. Diatoms have disappeared and the snails and hermits made swift work of some turf algae that had emerged.

I'm taking it slow and it seems to be paying off. Looking to order some coral in a month or so.

For some reason,this tank looks so much bigger than 7.5 !!! What type of lighting is that ? The par bulb from Rapid ?

Honestly,patients is the best way to be when it comes to reef tanks.. My first few tanks,went what I wanted them to be becuase I was a complete impatient noob and ruined everything lol. Its taken me MONTHS to figure out what type of light I wanted,and even which tank I wanted to go with,now I currently have both of them in the mail being shipped meow :haha:

Archived