Cultivated Reef

Na mo‘olelo o ko‘akā (Mo‘olelo's 20L) (RETIRED)

Moolelo

Thanks! I believe the anemone is Bunodeopsis medusoides. Does anyone on here have any experience with Bunodeopsis genus?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you I the islands? Headed home from Waikiki tomorrow...

Snorkeled in a large tidal pool just west of Turtle Bay. Saw up close a 3' fish that looked all the world like a salami-thick pipefish. Any idea what it was?

Sorry, I research inverts so I am not too familiar with fish. But that sounds awesome! I live "just" across the canal from Wakīkī in the valley, so eastern Honolulu. I hope your trip went well. Any photos from snorkeling?

BilgePump

Where are you I the islands? Headed home from Waikiki tomorrow...

Snorkeled in a large tidal pool just west of Turtle Bay. Saw up close a 3' fish that looked all the world like a salami-thick pipefish. Any idea what it was?

I think those are commonly called trumpet fish.

I think those are commonly called trumpet fish.

I did a little looking around...either trumpet or cornet. Very cool looking fish.

I'll post an ID thread also, but any idea on these shrimp? They look like they could be different species from each other, definitely adults (eggs under larger one). Looks similar to Thor genus, sexy shrimp. For size reference they are next to a standard microscope slide.

WP_20140503_16_29_55_Pro_zpse0e41f06.jpg

Lighting Renovation complete!

Removing thermal adhesive attached LEDs and cleaning the heatsinks/LEDs was quite the adventure. Saved all my LEDs, just didn't use the cheap Bridgelux 3watt diodes.

Wiring done much better with terminals strip and individual cords, I'll have them all wrapped in sleeve once it comes in.

Remade housing from thinner acrylic splash guard cemented to black surround using DIY acrylic solvent glue.

The three channels of colors should give me a better look balance and the Luxeon M RB & Nichia NW should also give higher output for better growth.

Using both warm white and deep red, my macro algae should do much better.

Second photo shows new arrangement [TOP] (before wiring, since my solder job wasn't excellent)

Bottom half of this photo shows the old arrangment.

Fewer diodes total, but same ratios with the warm white only added to spectrum. But the Luxeon and Nichia are much higher output, so should give me more light per watt now.

WP_20140505_13_29_27_Pro_zpseef2a4b9.jpglightarray_zpsfa90e2e2.jpg

Love the Maroon clowns! and i have always wanted to make my own led light also

• 2 weeks later...

Added 2 Rebel ES Lime diodes to my array, actually ordered them as soon as I saw Clyde's review on reefbuilders. So far, the light is so much more visually appealing, actually stunning. And finally does away with the purple edge.

Reflecting on an investment in my relaxation.

WP_20140522_17_02_06_Pro_zpsd6b181c7.jpg

These different urchins had all gathered at this one spot, not sure why either. One of each with the rest spread out across tank. Heterocentrotus, Echinometra, Tripnuestes, & Echinothrix.

WP_20140520_11_10_40_Pro_zps161f67ee.jpg

Went to pick up some new zoas, and by that I mean go collect some snorkeling. Also a shot of the Halimeda.halimeda-2_zpsed39872c.jpg

halimeda-1_zpsf083b115.jpg

FlowerMama

i'm joining into your thread. Not often you get to see things direct from Hawaii!!! Thanks for sharing.

i'm joining into your thread. Not often you get to see things direct from Hawaii!!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I will try to post more high quality photos also. My phone is always right there though...

New full tank shot, and updated first post. Picture looks slightly more purple and washed out, but I didn't want to edit it too much. I like photos that show it how you took it.

tank-1_zps0b7c8f91.jpg

• 2 months later...

Where to start, unexpectedly had to move and lots of tank changes as result. I made plans to do a careful move and of course things didn't go smoothly. The morning prior to my planned moving time for the tank, while we were moving everything else, all the halimeda in the tank decided to spawn (usually I notice a day or two prior and remove the clump). At the time I still didn't have anything prepared. Long story short I was up all night working on the move driving back and forth and acclimating (lucky I use NSW so chemistry is almost exact in my tank). Tragedy struck when I realized I was so careful with animals and most equipment, that I had forgotten the light and is was damaged across acrylic casing and wiring got ripped out.

It actually took a few days to actually register the loss of light, and after someone cracked the whip on me wasting more time and money on my DIY while her animals suffer, I contacted Dave.

He understood my emergency and gave me the fastest time frame he possibly could. So in the time it would have taken me to order supplies, I received my Nanobox Duo! I will have to review the light separate.

Long story short, the color is incredible and the corals are coloring up already in such as short time.

Animal wise, the biggest hit was that a week or so without light left the tank almost completely algae free and the cowries and crab were looking hungry so I brought them back to work. Also for some reason aiptasia that had been eradicated for a long time are everywhere (possibly due to not filtering all the water). And of course the dictyota grew back, so just the usual pest problems again.

Pictures soon!

Sorry to hear about the moving troubles. Just found this thread and am really digging what you are doing. Looking forward to a picture update!

Tank shot with new Nanobox, tried to get it as close to reality with lightroom, but not quite exact.

tank-20_zps6691c091.jpg

Also here is a crab I had collected to replace my collector, but ends up this is a hilo collector crab (eats everything)

WP_20140728_16_27_03_Pro_zpseee5700c.jpg Returned him to water, but found this little guy while checking the halimeda for hitchhikers.

WP_20140728_16_20_16_Pro_zps5a40fea7.jpg

Lastly found these on a clump of halimeda, and brought to work to watch until hatch.

WP_20140728_16_23_42_Pro_zps58f14845.jpg

Thought I would add, as a testament to the quality and selection of Dave's diodes in the Nanobox, that my corals (though still brownish/pale) are recovering faster than I have ever seen and those that are already getting color back already look better than under my old light. Crazy right!

Don't know if anyone has seen, but my archipelago is about to see some serious tropical weather. Nothing new to us, but they seem especially worried about power outages this time. Clear and sunny now, but no power makes me worry for my tank. Anyone from Flordia with experience around these events have any tips for power outages? I put off vortech battery backup and now regret it (not sold in store here). I was hoping to order laptop battery backup that would work, but didn't act in time.

Don't know if anyone has seen, but my archipelago is about to see some serious tropical weather. Nothing new to us, but they seem especially worried about power outages this time. Clear and sunny now, but no power makes me worry for my tank. Anyone from Flordia with experience around these events have any tips for power outages? I put off vortech battery backup and now regret it (not sold in store here). I was hoping to order laptop battery backup that would work, but didn't act in time.

I've thought a lot about this. My tank isn't running yet, but I plan to get a battery back up and a few cheapo battery operated pumps to run an airstone. I also read a thread recently about hooking up a drip line to keep the surface of the water moving. I'll see if I can find that again. Seemed like a clever lo-tech idea.

Edit: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/349407-powers-out/

Good luck! I know that helpless feeling of just waiting and not knowing exactly where it's going to hit!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I really should set up battery backup as my pump is the only thing running for my tank.

That algae on my sand bed I thought would be gobbled up my that sea cucumber is getting worse and since I have no artificial filter or nutrient export, it is out of control. Nothing is suffering but it looks terrible and there is slime starting to form.

Going to do a water change early and then do my regular for a few weeks to clean out the water. Also adding a new Turbo snail again (can be a pain) and a juvenile Wana (Echinothrix diadema) to beef up cleanup crew. Also cause my rock boring and needle spine urchin and lazy dictyota eaters.

wp_20140829_14_53_57_pro_zpsee8077c9.jpg

Archived