Pod Your Reef

28g Nanocube, Kessil/T5 Supplement . October FTS 2016 update p#9

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

Looks great! That monti, though :wub:

Thanks teeny.

Very pretty tank reefernanoman! I love how you explain what is going on in your tank in the video. I guess the change of salt cause some problems like with the birds nest but your tank really looks healthy overall.

Thanks. Yeah, I like to document my experiences (both good and bad) so that we can all learn from them. Like everything in life, it's a never ending learning curve.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman

Mid March 2016 update. Pictures and photos. Some of my SPS have turned white due to a temperature spike ( my fault because I forgot to turn on the AC in the house!). Despite my issue, most of my corals are doing well.

Pictures of corals:

Green digitata doing well:

IMG_3668.jpg

Rainbow Acan with more heads:

IMG_3673.jpg

Seasons greetings monti still growing nicely:

IMG_3671.jpg

Jedi mind trick growing nicely:

IMG_3672.jpg

FTS 03/16/2016:

IMG_3677.jpg

Update video:

• 5 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Mid April 2016 Update. Just a FTS, top down pic and a video combo of both my 28G and Fusion 10G tanks. Everything is growing and doing fine.

FTS 04/14/2016:

IMG_3710.jpg

Top down pic:

IMG_20160411_134624.jpg

Video combo update of both my tanks:

reefernanoman

wow... haven't looked at your tank in awhile... Looks amazing!

Thanks! Do you have a tank thread? You should make one if you haven't.

• 2 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Micro brittle star fish have gone crazy inside my tank! They are reproducing I guess. I already have a whole bunch! They are all outside on the LR instead of hiding. Should I worry? Some people say don't.

Not my video, but it looks just like this after my water change:

What I don't like is that they are crawling all over my corals, forcing them to close up.

reefernanoman

Another new frag that came from Cultivated Reef today 05/03/16. First ever Acro. It's supposed to be very hardy:

Limeade Acro:

IMG_3743.jpg

reefernanoman

Well my first try with an Acro was a complete fail (turned white overnight). I'm not going to try again. I'm going to get an easier replacement :(.

teenyreef

Well my first try with an Acro was a complete fail (turned white overnight). I'm not going to try again. I'm going to get an easier replacement :(.

Well that's frustrating! All your other SPS seem to do well, right?

reefernanoman

Well that's frustrating! All your other SPS seem to do well, right?

Yeah, except the mystic sunset (turning white right in the middle). I decided to go with the 6 pack of ACANS from CR. Can I put those guys in the sandbed teeny?

teenyreef

Yeah, except the mystic sunset (turning white right in the middle). I decided to go with the 6 pack of ACANS from CR. Can I put those guys in the sandbed teeny?

I keep almost all mine on the sand bed. You just need to glue them to something to keep them in place so the snails don't flip them over. I use big frag plugs with the stems cut off.

Mid April 2016 Update. Just a FTS, top down pic and a video combo of both my 28G and Fusion 10G tanks. Everything is growing and doing fine.

FTS 04/14/2016:

IMG_3710.jpg

Top down pic:

IMG_20160411_134624.jpg

Video combo update of both my tanks:

Whoa! How long have you had that plating monti cap? Amazing growth there.

reefernanoman

I keep almost all mine on the sand bed. You just need to glue them to something to keep them in place so the snails don't flip them over. I use big frag plugs with the stems cut off.

Awesome! Actually I just made room for them towards the front of my 10G. Maybe I shove a couple of them in here (6 total!)

Whoa! How long have you had that plating monti cap? Amazing growth there.

Thanks. That's about a year and a half of growth. It has been growing even faster after I started adding KM Nanoreef Part A & B a few months ago.

dferrari13

Micro brittle star fish have gone crazy inside my tank! They are reproducing I guess. I already have a whole bunch! They are all outside on the LR instead of hiding. Should I worry? Some people say don't.

Not my video, but it looks just like this after my water change:

What I don't like is that they are crawling all over my corals, forcing them to close up.

I have never seen them spawn like that but I have the same problem in my 5.5 gallon pico.....how can you get rid of them....they multiply like crazy...and the small bottle trap I tried using didn't work....so frustrating...thank god I haven't seen any in my 10 gallon fusion

reefernanoman

I have never seen them spawn like that but I have the same problem in my 5.5 gallon pico.....how can you get rid of them....they multiply like crazy...and the small bottle trap I tried using didn't work....so frustrating...thank god I haven't seen any in my 10 gallon fusion

Everyone says that they are harmless. I must have at least 50 of them minimum in there. They are considered part of the clean-up crew.

OMG, the growth of the monti is crazy, love it.

Thanks. about 1.5yr worth of growth.

reefernanoman

You have insane growth. Love your monitipora!

Thanks! Yeah, I love that 8 inch+ monti.

reefernanoman

I was noticing something very peculiar with a couple of my frags. I have two neon green birds nest frags that I bought at the same time (one I put in my 28G and one in my 10G). Both tanks are lit by the Kessil a160we (one in each), and everything else is the same (salt water changes, additives). But my 10G runs a little hotter (like 1 degree) and I use T5 supplementation on my 28g for 3 hours daily. So I've noticed that the frag in the 28g is way more intense in coloration and it's even thicker! I'm assuming it's the T5's that make the difference. I know that the frags came from the same colony because I broke the single frag into two. They looked the same also when they were put in (which was a pale color) almost dead actually. Thoughts? I'm going to have to take a couple of pics. So I believe that adding T5's was a great idea.

T5s have some spectral magic that makes many corals look and grow better. IMO LED supplements make most corals look even better except for some acros wich for some reason are intolerant of LEDS.

reefernanoman

T5s have some spectral magic that makes many corals look and grow better. IMO LED supplements make most corals look even better except for some acros wich for some reason are intolerant of LEDS.

Magic indeed. I mean these frags don't even look the same! The one in the T5 supplemented tank looks way greener and thicker and happier.

Magic indeed. I mean these frags don't even look the same! The one in the T5 supplemented tank looks way greener and thicker and happier.

Can u post pics of both side by side ?

Archived