Top Shelf Aquatics

L.A. Reefs

~LadyBug~

Who's ordered from L.A. Reefs? Was it a good experience? I'm looking at getting several macros from their website(I can't find them on eBay...) and wanted a little input first :)

Also, if you've emailed them, how long do they take to get back? I had a question but haven't heard back and it's been a little while. I used the form on their site.

Thanks!

I ordered from them once and never got my order. I had to file a dispute on paypal and they never responded to that either. I got my money back, it just took a month

Huh. Glad I asked. They had one I hadn't seen on NR, but but I'd rather be safe than sorry...

Seems like a mixed bag :(

Thanks guys!

No direct experience with them, but bought some of their macroalgae secondhand from a local club member and got an earful. Basically, expect really really small cuttings and little to no customer support IF something goes wrong. By small, I mean be prepared to lose it if you don't have a sump/shower caddy/basket or something to give it a place to initially grow out and keep away any hungry/curious tank inhabitants.

Maybe the experience is better when buying higher-profile items like their BTA packs or the like. Those look pretty nice insofar as deals go.

I've purchased macros and GSP from Louis at LAReefs many times and have always been happy with what I received. Yes, at times the clippings were small, but the size was always clearly stated in the ad, and I knew exactly what I was getting. Remember, some of the macros (not all) are pretty rare to find in the US, and clippings are being done from single mother plants. Also, those macros that are mounted, are mounted cleanly on quality ceramic squares. Small clippings are sent floating, and I always mounted them myself to rubble. I've gotten some great plants and softies from them over the years.

If you want some huge specimens, you might try Russ at Gulf Coast Ecosystems. On most macros, he will send you full plants - way more than you will be expecting, so order less than you think you will need.

ll_maynard_ll

I've received one order from LAreefs and as others have stated the specimens were small but they came healthy and in water not just wet paper towels which I think helps. Personally I like GCE at live-plants.com, everything comes bagged in water also but much larger macros and the price is great.

I've received one order from LAreefs and as others have stated the specimens were small but they came healthy and in water not just wet paper towels which I think helps. Personally I like GCE at live-plants.com, everything comes bagged in water also but much larger macros and the price is great.

I agree completely, but GCE will only have algae species from the Gulf or Atlantic coastal areas unless a huge storm brings in species from a further distance. LAReefs is the only supplier I've found that has species from the Australasia region.

Good information. Thanks for sharing guys! There are a couple of things I've seen on their website that I really like and haven't seen anywhere else, so that makes sense.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread. But I wanted to warn others. I ordered some macroalgae over 3 weeks ago and they have yet to ship it. I have emailed them multiple times and also contacted them through their website. I have never received a response. It's quite disappointing because I could really use the uncommon macro I ordered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I purchased from LA Reefs 6~ months ago through their website. My rock flower anemones were never shipped and they never responded to a single one of my dozen+ emails. No issue getting my money back via PayPal dispute, but not a fun experience.

I purchased from LA Reefs 6~ months ago through their website. My rock flower anemones were never shipped and they never responded to a single one of my dozen+ emails. No issue getting my money back via PayPal dispute, but not a fun experience.

Wow that's crazy! I have never had 1 problem with them in the past.

Definitely sounds like something weird is going on over there.

Weird.

I've order 2 or 3 times and everything was great. Coral was just as pictured. Size was good. Communication was excellent.

Ordered some cool macro that was bigger than stated last order.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to update that I recently purchased from LA Reefs via eBay and received beautiful, healthy BTAs. I don't know why I, and others, have buying issues through their site, but I'd stick to eBay if you can!

I'd like to update that I recently purchased from LA Reefs via eBay and received beautiful, healthy BTAs. I don't know why I, and others, have buying issues through their site, but I'd stick to eBay if you can!

I had the same experience. Ordered from the site and had to do a chargeback because they didn't respond or ship. Ordered through eBay and no issues.

Archived