Top Shelf Aquatics

College 40B. Ruby Red!

Archaic37

Nice tank! I vote for pictures of the new coral :)

I'll get on that if I have time after setting up my RODI tomorrow.

The new corals are neon green finger leather (12 and 15 inch stalks), massive red and green digi frags and a green slimer frag

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So late last night after rearranging some rocks I took a look at my tank and had a full blown epiphany on how I want to scape my tank. So far I havent been very satisfied with my scape, but I know what I want now.

You won an MP40?! Man, that must have been some frag swap.

Oh, and I want your rainbow monti :)

Give me a couple months to frag a piece lol

The swap had probably $2000 worth of prizes. To name a few apex elite, RKE, biocuve, cad lights protein skimmer abd reactor, BRS reactor with media, BRS RODI, a ton of gift cards for local and non loc as k shops and some awesome frag packs. Buddythelion donated some along with aquaSD. Most were donations but raffle tickets we had to.buy but the money from tickets and membership costs goes to the prizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Because Finals are over I figured I should do some aquascaping to relieve that stress.

Also this is 6 images stitched together so it is kind of a large file (11mb)

ibuae4FFDZK56l.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tabling acro

iboZWt4IvfwTUV.jpg

Tabling Acro #2 (both for $20) This one is like 3" long

ifOELfymQKHBX.jpg

Meet Dingo! He eats Ova and has shown interest in mysis and NLS Thera-A! He is a monster.

ibmmSdkEuMPgkR.jpg

Last but not least a BTA! I wanted a porcelain crab and when AquaSD was trying to get the crab it clung to the BTA and refused to get off. So they sold me the BTA+porcelain for $50. Porcelain is in hiding behind the nem.

iVezYpFoWlNQd.jpg

So Dingo my new mandarin has been eating ova in the mason jar without a problem. But I would like to have him eating NLS Thera A and mysis. When I read the mandarin training guide it just seemed like you mix in a little bit into the ova when feeding and eventually they should pick up on it that its food.

Is there any tips or tricks to incorporating the NLS or mysis into his diet?

you can mix it with live brine shrimp

Never mind my LFS has the 2 liter bottle breeding thing.

Another question, how do I know if I am feeding him enough? He is a big one about 3" long and fat. I broke off about 3/4" chunk of ova and fed half of that over 2 days. I am just not sure if thats enough for him since he is a slow eater and I cant tell how much he eats

Their stomachs are caved in and spine on the side is visible if they are underfed.

Fat.

7F8A3035-7A76-41A7-934D-8DB5915EDC4C-478

Needs substantial TLC

P1260842_zpsd277ae5a.jpg

Feeding station

IMG_3094.CR2.jpg

Check this thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324304-official-mandarin-show-off-thread/

Mason jar is perfect too.

He is definitely fat. But I just got him on Thursday he is constantly cruising about.

I used a mason jar for his feeding station, he required some coaxing into it and the nasarius snails seem to devour anything I put in there. I think I will have to make some sort of anti snail one

Anti snail might trap the fish. It's okay if the snails get in there, but maybe they can be distracted elsewhere first. like with an algae wafer or something.

I was thinking more of a lip around the container so if the mouth of the container is off the ground and they try to climb up the side and around the top they cant because of a lip.

Good Idea on the algae wafer. I have some nori that I know they love to eat.

Voila! A round tupperware that has a small lip. The lip actually curves back down on itself and the nassarius cant get over it.

dhsNxX1.jpg

Yeah my target male is fat after many months. Mandarins are curious by nature and eventually come around as long as the food looks like something that is alive or was alive. I feed mine live black worms, frozen mysis and brine and blood worms. I tried ova but it is so small and I don't target feed him he picks off the sand. I only use target feeding for initial training, it is nice when they start seeking out the food themselves. Mine actually will swim up into the water column to grab the food before it hits bottom.

I just want to find him a nice cute female eventually :)

Yeah my target male is fat after many months. Mandarins are curious by nature and eventually come around as long as the food looks like something that is alive or was alive. I feed mine live black worms, frozen mysis and brine and blood worms. I tried ova but it is so small and I don't target feed him he picks off the sand. I only use target feeding for initial training, it is nice when they start seeking out the food themselves. Mine actually will swim up into the water column to grab the food before it hits bottom.

I just want to find him a nice cute female eventually :)

He was swimming around near the surface today so hopefully i can get him to eat alongside my midas and clown

Snails were getting to the mandarins diner so I made this anti snail mandarin diner. The lip extends 1/4" away from the cylinder and is radius-ed so the snails are unable to climb it.

It would be a very simple build with acrylic tubing but I do not know how to bend the acrylic both in a radius downwards and at the same time around the acrylic tube. Molding is probably my best option.

IRjB36d.jpg7rxeEG0.jpg

Easiest way to train them is a bare bottom tank of their own. Perhaps connect it to your main system. It sounds like you are on the right track though I started my guy in a bare bottom 10 gallon with no other fish to distract and then I took a medicine syringe and connected like about 12" of rigid airline tubing to it. He took to it within a couple days and soon would swim right up to it soon as it would enter the water.

He went right to his diner today and shows no fear of the turkey baster.until it squirts bubbles lol

Its just a matter of time until he accepts the pellets and mysis.

Anti snail might trap the fish. It's okay if the snails get in there, but maybe they can be distracted elsewhere first. like with an algae wafer or something.

Just quoting you so you get a notification.

Have you done a recent tisbe culture? I am thinking about starting one up just so dingo has some stuff to pick at.

I am probably going to get the algagen 16oz bottle split it between 2 3g water jugs and a little bit of chaeto maybe.

Archived