Coral Vue Hydros

2.5 Gallon Alley Oop - Retired 1/10/2015

Roshan8768

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I switched the tank to the peninsula look that everyone was wanting, and I'm working on cleaning the glass up. This tank has less issues than my 40 breeder... the coral growth is fantastic. I'm thinking it's a combination of less bio load and most importantly no sand. Also picked up a new zoa frag that's settling in well.

temporary_zpsec3921ba.jpg

temporary_zps786b5221.jpg

These pics are from a week ago... I'll get some more recent ones up soon

• 2 weeks later...

I like that view a lot more :)

get more shrooms in there bro.

Too much light? I've tried a couple of color varieties and they've all done pretty badly unless in the shade behind the rockwork where there is hardly any light

that's weird a PAR30 should not be too much light...

maybe try a rhodactis shroom somewhere in the shadows and see how it does. they seem to be tolerant. as long as they are on the bottom.

• 1 month later...

I think I may have starved my zoas here! When I moved the PAR30 bulb mount I moved the heater out of the filter to make room for a bag of carbon and phosguard. I think this coupled with the fact that I haven't really been feeding the tank have combined to make some of the zoas fairly pissed of. The candy cane looks really happy though, and the palys and xenia are hanging in there but clearly not at a 100%.

To help solve this problem :D I have removed the bag of carbon and Phosguard and I picked up a fish and some brine shrimp from the store. Will be feeding the little guy 4-5 times a week. I will post pics once the new guy is settled and the tank looks better

instead you could have just fed your corals..

fish can sometimes spell disaster for small tanks, especially when over fed. I have never had a fish in my tanks though, it would have probably gotten eaten by some coral heh.

watch out for algae in a few months. amp up the nutrients and algae blooms usually follow.

You are right, I should have just fed the corals... but honestly with no fish in the tank I don't really find the tank interesting enough, so I tend to forget to feed consistently. Will watch out for algae, I plan on seeing how the corals and the system react to the added bio-load... if needed I can always replace the Phosguard to the filter

emerald crab to the rescue if you get a hair algae/bryopsis bloom.

I can vouch that they will eat it once you kill the algae with peroxide. peroxide spot treating should be done out of the tank water.

• 4 weeks later...

It's looking good since last time I saw this tank. Go check out how much your pom pom xenia has grown on my last thread.

MrBrightside
emerald crab to the rescue if you get a hair algae/bryopsis bloom.

I can vouch that they will eat it once you kill the algae with peroxide. peroxide spot treating should be done out of the tank water.

That's cool I just found out Mexican Turbos (turbo fluctuosa) eat red bubble algae after being treated with h2o2.

• 1 month later...
Roshan8768

Unfortunately, the anemone managed to get sucked up into my hob filter which then led to everything being fairly pissed off. I saved what I could and moved it to my 40 breeder, but I will be setting it up again in a week or two. I want to have a cleaner looking setup this time around, so there may be some changes. I will also pick up some more rock for the tank and break it up into smaller pieces as well as add a 0.5 inch layer of some aragonite down for a super shallow sand bed... I felt I was light on bio-filtration while I had it up.

Roshan8768

I dig the rockwork!

Yeah on second thought I think this is the perfect amount for this tank so I won't be adding anymore. I'm thinking a Clam of some sort, some blue clove polyps on the rock work. Possibly some acans on the sand bed on the left, some hardy SPS up top and maybe a leather of some sort. Also, I'm only getting one zoa color morph. Definitely want this tank to have a couple of colonies and not a plethora of frags, that should help it seem larger

Roshan8768

That rock flower anemone is a ricordea, but still a fine buy for $5

Yeah I know man, hence the " " gotta love Petco employees :D

Roshan8768

Hopefully next week I will be able to pick up some $5 frags... I'm thinking a green polyp or fiji leather, some zoas, and hopefully more rics. As of now the only coral in here is the xenia on the rock and the ricordea added yesterday.

The CUC consists of 2 stomatella snails that hitch-hiked in on the live rock. I am not seeing any algae of any kind so far, which is strange... usually there should be a diatom or green spot algae bloom at this point. Maybe, it's still in the works <_<

I'm liking the scape! You gotta love Petco lol, do you think you'll ever add any fish? A goby pistol shrimp pair would be cool in this tank B)

Archived