Cultivated Reef

New 16 Gallon Aquatic Style Opticlear Cube Build

Schnecke

Thanks for the kind words :-)

I'll get a photo of their tanks when I visit next. We all have very different tanks. My mum's tank is LOADED with Coraline Algae and my brothers tank is still in it's infancy stages (it's 18 months old, but such a large system takes AGES to mature)

Oh, my parents haven't been married for 28 years. Dad is on the coast and likes deep sea fishing instead of keeping fish lol.

My mum has Xenia, goni's, Hammers, Elegance, Fungias, Cup Corals, a 10" Clam, a type of brain that's the size of a 10 year old's head, all different coloured morphs (Red, Green, Purple) a fan coral, sun coral, blasto colony, she has lots. She has a blue tang, a cleaner wrasse, a fox face (it's not even 2" it's so tiny) a coral beauty, a couple of shrimp, a bangaii cardinal and a fiji damsal. Quite a nice mix that seems to do really well. She did have a pair of large maroon clowns but rehomed them as they were too aggressive.

My brother runs a from-home business for corals and fish, so he has a holding tank full of corals. He gives anything a go that doesn't sell quick enough. In his display tank he has a few types of leather corals, zoas, hammers, nems, and he's slowly adding acans as the system improves. He has triggers, clowns, sand sifting goby's, an eel tailed catfish, lawn mower blenny, large blue tang, file fish, there's too much for me to remember, he has a bit of everything!

Wow, you talking makes me really eager to want to see these tanks...Please post some!! :happy:

Sounds like your brother has some really nice aussie pieces since he owns a saltwater fish store.

Oh sorry to hear about the pops. My parents are separated as well. I'm still cool with the dad but my mother/brother isn't haha.

Our mum is awesome enough that we didn't really miss him to be honest.

My brother hasn't put anything really special back in yet, as he had a tank crash about 4 months ago due to a lighting failure (it was pretty sad, he lost a huge duncan coral, a huge leather and some other really nice pieces) so it's pretty much a start from scratch thing for him.

The tank is progressing really well, everything is looking great. I hope you had a good Christmas :). Would love to see a few shots of your mothers and brothers tanks some time.

I just picked up (dipped and lightly scrubbed) an orange lace coral (and while I was at it I took a quick snap of the Blue Green Chromis and Assessor (they get along really well) can't say the same about the clown!

http://www.use.com/2013_12_26_3_a1c13c7690911b79a63f?p=1'>a1c13c7690911b79a63f_1.jpg

http://www.use.com/2013_12_26_3_a1c13c7690911b79a63f?p=2'>a1c13c7690911b79a63f_2.jpg

Would love to see a few shots of your mothers and brothers tanks some time.

Mum and I are planning a HUGE re-scape of her tank this weekend, so I will post some pics when it's all settled next week. My brothers tanks' sheer size is impressive, even though it's not as established as my mum's.

Thanks :-) I'm pretty chuffed with it so far. The entire system was only started in April this year with the previous smaller tank and when I came across this cube I just HAD to have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot of mums 100 Gallon (400 Litres) She had been fiddling with the wave makers so a few things are a tad upset, but it's coming along nicely.

Lighting is 4 x t5 tubes (50/50 daylight and blues)

The leathers have been mighty upset since her rock scaping was updated. She has some really colourful morphs and a big clam that she only paid $40 for! I always laugh at her sun coral, as soon as she puts her hand in the tank it thinks it's going to be fed.

Her fish are as follows:

• Fox Face (he came as a skinny runt but has always had an amazing appetite and is growing nicely now)
  • Fijian Damsel (the FATTEST thing i've ever seen)
  • Coral Beauty (Was quite aggressive until mum spent a few hours chasing it, now it's quite polite.)
  • Cleaner Wrasse (been with her since the tank was new)
  • Bangaii Cardinal (doing really well, she originally had 2, but 1 never ate and went back to my brother (technically the "LFS" for our family.)

She did recently lose a tiny blue tang which was a shame.

A Basic Coral List:

• Sun Coral
  • Cup Coral
  • Red, Orange, Green, Purple & Fluffy Morphs
  • Fungia's x 2-3 (keep spreading while still stemmed)
  • Blasto's
  • Hammerspawn (it can't decide if it's a hammer or a frogspawn)
  • Xenia x 2
  • Leather Mushrooms
  • Clam
  • Closed Brain
  • Duncan's
  • Goni's
  • Thistle/Carnation (not doing so well, but she knew that when adopting it)
  • Orange Lace Coral
  • Galaxy Coral
  • Scoly (tried to adopt a bleached one, isn't doing so well)

There's probably more there but it's all I can think of from the top of my head.

9eae5eae2b007f80ab5c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank looks great, good to see someone with an aquaticStyle tank like myself.

Im pretty new ot the hobby and have only been running my tank since December 2013, so far its been good.

Im happy with all the factory parts with the addidtion to the tunze jet i added for better flow etc.

The only question i have is were did you purchase that flat led light in your sump for your love rock, i did something silly and placed some of my extra live rock in my sump without a light source, im guessing it will created unwanted nitrates perhaps........

Would you consider a dosing pump for your tank, or just reply on weekly water changes and the occasional manual dose to keep everything in check. I want to automate as much stuff as i can so i can spend more time doing other stuff.

will send a pic of mine once this computer starts to work!!

Just bought a new skimmer, JNS-WS1, so will pop some photo updates on once I've got it in there and going properly.

• 6 months later...

OKAY! Update - New Mesh Screen Top & New Tank Mates!

Big thanks to my boyfriend for being so patient in helping me get angles right (power tools are NOT my friend!) I'm so thankful that he is as fussy as I am!

bcadb635e694be8765e8_1.jpg

And the result!

bcadb635e694be8765e8_2.jpg

bcadb635e694be8765e8_3.jpg

bcadb635e694be8765e8_4.jpg

bcadb635e694be8765e8_5.jpg

bcadb635e694be8765e8_6.jpg

Introducing ELLIOTT!

bcadb635e694be8765e8_8.jpg

And this little guy doesn't have a name yet.

bcadb635e694be8765e8_9.jpg

Elliot is a Salarias patzneri Patzner's blenny from what I've researched

bcadb635e694be8765e8_10.jpg

clicklarge3.gif

Yeah I'm thrilled with the result.

I just realised I hadn't answered a question above about automated dosing etc.

I am a water change-a-holic. I did reduce water changes for a period of a few months but everything is much brighter and more vivid when I change water at least every 2 weeks (only 10 litres at a time, nothing too major) I target feed the corals every other week and use a small amount of liquid feeding once a week.

Oh, nzacca, sorry again, the led was a cheap online one that I swapped out as it wasn't able to support macro. I will probably end up with something similar again though as I decided not to run macro at all with the new skimmer. Back to a very simple sump (that I will replace in a few months for one that's got an ato chamber) but it's all very simple.

I like the benefits of regular water changes so simple suits me perfectly :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In all honesty I haven't really added anything new! But everything is going so well - Especially my clam, I look back at the old photo's and the size difference is amazing, you don't really notice while loo9king from day to day!

I will have to take some new photo's. I'm finding it very hard to edit the photo's to be "true colour" on my laptop, as it's older the display is a little dull - When I look at the same photo's on another computer, they are too vivid.

Will have another go at taking some photo's over the next few weeks when I get the chance (have a few changes to the sump that I'll share) so I'll post all of that when it's done :-D

Archived