Innovative Marine Aquariums

el_ote's 20 Long

el_ote

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everything looks good. nice and fluffy. even those picky favia. im thinking tho, that maybe a hermit is picking at the acans. they look great and fluffy but I see recession. not all the time tho so im not sure.
im also debating halving my water change from 20% to 10% but I havent decided. maybe going from once a week to every other week. but why mess with it once its gotten good ?!?!

i like your new scape!

• 2 weeks later...

so... me and favias are a no no. ive cut my bio load, feed tank less (I do add reef chilli) religious water changes of 5 gallons a week. my lights are on 8 hours and are pretty high. maybe I should bring em down a bit. my nitrates test at about 10ppm ammonia 0. alk 9.6 ca 430 mg 1430.

I'm stumpped.

edit: lights are 4x39w t5ho and are 24" from thw sand bed

nah, favias for sure. ill cone them andbfeed them more. I dose reef chilli and leave sump off for about an hour. also do weekly mysis but the favias never extend.

on am even worse note, today I stayed home and when I glanced at my tank I noticed it looked like a winter wonderland in there. heart on the floor I realized my alk dose container is empty. 12 oz. of b-ionic alk dosed straight in. I'm pretty sure I bumped my timer last night when I did a water change and turned it to "on". EVERYTHING looked bad. the serpent star was barely twitching. went to an lfs as soon as they opened for water. (I mix mine at work and like I said, I stayed home today) I got and did a 50% water change and everything seems slightly relieved. ill do another 50ish sunday.

ugh...

after the water change everything slowly came back to normal. my favias still hate me, more so now probably. going to keep 1/4 to 1/2 capacity of the alk reservoir from now on

ok. so now coming home tonight I scared myself since I smelled a mildewy smell. everything felt pretty dry around the tank. Im thinking that since I only have my sump mainly for my skimmer and ato, AND since I finally bought a pump for the Aqua C Remora WronGenotype hooked me up with a while back, I can ditch the sump. the aqualifer had a 30" head height so I can keep my ato. the BRS 1.1ml doser has a mad 20ft. head height. I do have my homemade gfo reactor id have to ditch, but if I found a good deal on a BRS one used, I could also mount that.
just thinking right now. ...

edit:

also, im not liking having to pick the hermits off my acans and favia... may have to go all snails only. Im looking at you halloween hermit! good thing the office tank has plenty of space for hermits and no real LPS for them to try and get into the mouth of. *thanks flame angel/lemon peel*

• 4 weeks later...

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/el_ote/media/Tortoise/2014-12-11%2022.00.16_zpsusoybhvm.jpg.html'>2014-12-11%2022.00.16_zpsusoybhvm.jpg

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/el_ote/media/Tortoise/20141213_153055_zps7kgjtlyb.jpg.html'>20141213_153055_zps7kgjtlyb.jpg

So I got this little guy as a gift for my kids. I think im more hooked on him than they are. His little enclosure is under my tank so now i def. need to get that HOB Remora going. I have to dig for my AquaClear also now for my filtration. i hope i didnt get rid of it. Anyone know if the the BRS dosers can pump liquid above the unit? i read they have a good head height, but im not sure if i can mount it BELOW the tanks waterline.

• 2 weeks later...

2014-12-11%2022.00.16_zpsusoybhvm.jpg

20141213_153055_zps7kgjtlyb.jpg

So I got this little guy as a gift for my kids. I think im more hooked on him than they are. His little enclosure is under my tank so now i def. need to get that HOB Remora going. I have to dig for my AquaClear also now for my filtration. i hope i didnt get rid of it. Anyone know if the the BRS dosers can pump liquid above the unit? i read they have a good head height, but im not sure if i can mount it BELOW the tanks waterline.

Im guessing it should. Well guess im going back to the 20 long.

• 4 weeks later...

20150124_181220_zpsorot44yf.jpg

just a photo update to show i havent quit. everythings ok. i think i should stay away from favia although one has survived... i want some more acans but i just had my car towed from the lot out apartment complex lets us use (untill 9AM) for a whopping 285$... anyway my fault.
anywhoo...
tldr: still here

• 10 months later...

Archived