Innovative Marine Aquariums

el_ote's 20 Long

el_ote

Dendro and a sun coral coming in this week. think ill look for a couple favia frags and an acan or two next!

(darn black tube coral wont extend when I feed it...)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

halo- I just posted in the skimmer thread as well.

long story short, I love it.

I use the drain to fill a jar since the cup is tiny. I get nice dark skimmate and they give multiple brackets to hang on different tank thickness at different heights!

thanks for the kind words... I need to get my fuge working again to battle the hair alage thats popped up.

I see the star when I feed and since my tank is so small, theres always a leg sticking out. kinda freaks me out tho. i hate spiders and its been reminding me of one lately.

thanks for the kind words... I need to get my fuge working again to battle the hair alage thats popped up.

I see the star when I feed and since my tank is so small, theres always a leg sticking out. kinda freaks me out tho. i hate spiders and its been reminding me of one lately.

Hmm maybe I should hold off on one then... That's the reason I'm getting rid of my emerald crab.

Not scared of spiders, I just don't like them, and the likeness is too much for me.

• 2 weeks later...

fts with Jestersix's lucky 13 just added to the right side:

PC_20140519_222401_PerfectlyClear_zpstlc

closeup of the lucky13

PC_20140519_222349_PerfectlyClear_zpshci

im really liking the look and may go for another larger one in the future.

patrickbruno91

Jester always has nice rock work. He is supposed to be at the cvr swap in June. Are you going to attend that one?

Patrick - yeah, i love the piece. Im thinking of (down the line) nixing my left side rocks for two more of jesters in a similar style so i can have a trio of columns. I think ill have to drop my bio load though since i'd be losing a lot of my biofilter.

i think Fresno is a bit out of my reach. (plus my frags have been stunted by my bioload i believe). But frag swaps are so much fun so i dont know...

5 day vacation and I come home to a dry floor and a correct water level, no visibly missing fish (its dark so 3 of them hide) & my tube corals are opened so I dump some oyster feast in for them. not too bad!!!

vacation mode : success

So i left my test kits at the office to check trates and ammonia, but i think my problem is the lights. Some of my recent LPS are receding. Im pretty religious about my weekly 5 gal water changes and keeping my salinity at 1.024. I have my blue+ (2 bulbs) come on for 8 hrs. ending round 11and the coral+ (2Bulbs) for about 4. All my other pieces seem fine. I tihnk ill drop my lighting a few hours but my main concern is that the fixture is sitting on the tank. does anyone else here have their 4-bulb on the glass?

-perplexed

Oh man, that's a lot of light for a shallow tank and ATI bulbs. How about trying 2 actinic, blue+, and coral+ for a while to see if things improve?

yeah... im just running my 2 blue+ bulbs for now.

I never thought any of it since most all my corals did well in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

PC_20140611_223042_PerfectlyClear_zpsidq

water change: GFO Carbon change: sponges cleaned: Skimmer started back up (turned it off when it mysteriously flooded my little container)

sun corals were being fed, please excuse the bottles!

need some more tlc to bring it back up to par!

FTS: 6-13-14

PC_20140613_203902_PerfectlyClear_zpsyak

• 1 month later...

Did a water change yesterday and tested parameters today:

No3 - 0 -5 ppm

kH/Alk - 7.0 dkH

Ca - 350 ppm

Mg - 1035 ppm

Going to try and figure my consumption so i can get the kalk BRS package. DANG that shipping!

Ca 480 ppm

Mg 1290 ppm

alk 8.9 dkh

No3 <5

feeling a lot more comfortable with the chemistry.

lets hope I can stop losing my lps and start growing them!!!

edit: also raised my lights so im not cooking everyone

just took out my mandy, flasher, and gramma (7-30-14 according to my Aquarium Logger app) try and get my ammonia in check.

hope I can keep my clowns since they've been with me since the beginning. they have grown to 3+ inches tho...

• 2 weeks later...

ok.

ammonia 0

nirite 0

nitrate 5-10 leaning towards 5

Ca 425

Mg 1410

Alk 8.0

about 2 weeks since I lowered my ammonia from 2ppm to 0 by rehoming 3 fish and cutting feedings.

and about 20 days since ive started maintaining the recommended Ca, Mg, Alk levels.

I really hope my tank comes back. kinda bummed I lost a bunch of corals. totally my fault I know, but still sux.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. cleaned up the tank. removed a mid sized rock with a huge aptaisia. added kalk to my ato on tuesday. checked my alk before and it was at 9.1 dkh. today, Thursday, 2 days later im at 9.3 dkh.

• 2 weeks later...

now that the GHA is mostly gone, I realized I have two different coraline algae covering my rock with some plating coraline on a frag from WronGenotype that I hope takes hold.

20140903_212734_zpsranud5q6.jpg

just imagine nothing but GHA choking the Z's & P's and covering the rock.

PC_20140908_213114_zpsamnhptrg.jpg

new light bulbs.

blue+

actinic

blue+

purple+

btw now that I have my chemistry my lights and my skimmer going, I finally see some polyp extension on my sun coral. its one of the few that survived my continued noobness

edit:

Mg:1335ppm. Ca:445ppm. kH/Alk:10.1dkh

ammonia: 0ppm. nitrate: 5-10ppm

(added a dose of brs mag to up my Mg)

Archived