Cultivated Reef

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

I've been trying to find this color-morph, but no luck yet. I think they're gorgeous!

Yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish. He'd look great with your Fu-Manchu!

I totally agree! Its funny you mention that as ive been searching for one recently. My LFS has me on the list for the next one available. This was the last one they had a while back...

420039_10151492543385141_204710360_n.jpg

Woah!!

I know right!

I've only seen one available online at http://ibluewater.com/venomous-fish.html, but the price is pretty steep, and I've never ordered fish online, and it scares me!

Yea i saw that one as well but im not willing to pay that much when my LFS will only charge me $80.

• Like 5

I totally agree! Its funny you mention that as ive been searching for one recently. My LFS has me on the list for the next one available. This was the last one they had a while back...

Yea i saw that one as well but im not willing to pay that much when my LFS will only charge me $80.

Yeah, I've asked a few people to keep their eye out for one for me, but so far, only the brown ones, and occasional reds.

Although they did have this guy...

IMG_20141208_131745_888_zps92d43d1c.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, I've asked a few people to keep their eye out for one for me, but so far, only the brown ones, and occasional reds.

Although they did have this guy...

Hes a beauty.....I want a frog but im scared he would eat my redfin..

• Like 1

420039_10151492543385141_204710360_n.jpg

I know right!

Too bad you do not live in Canada we have two in the store that I work at Big al's

Really?!Do you think he would consider shipping?

I will look into it tomorrow and make sure it is the same coloration (I am not sure if same colour didn't get to look at them today but i will get a picture for you).

I will look into it tomorrow and make sure it is the same coloration (I am not sure if same colour didn't get to look at them today but i will get a picture for you).

Thanks i really appreciate it.

I remember last year a guy was selling a 40breeder tank with dwarf fuzzy lionfish and wasps. Amazing what they look like. I'd love to have one.

Believe me once you buy one your hooked......they're fascinating animals.

Isnt the minimum gallon requirement about 50 gallons though?

It depends on the species... dwarf fuzzy lionfish,fumanchu lionsfish,redfin waspfish or leaf scorpionfish would do fine in a 20 gallon. The main issue is maintaining water quality since they are messy eaters.

You have an absolutely beautiful tank, it's so natural looking, and not to mention you have excellent photography skills. Well done!

Thanks alot i really appreciate it.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

It depends on the species... dwarf fuzzy lionfish,fumanchu lionsfish,redfin waspfish or leaf scorpionfish would do fine in a 20 gallon. The main issue is maintaining water quality since they are messy eaters.

That's what most people don't understand about tank size requirements, it's usually not because they physically need the space, but in a larger tank you're more likely to have better filtration, etc, as you'll be importing a lot of nutrients to keep them fed.

• Like 1

That's what most people don't understand about tank size requirements, it's usually not because they physically need the space, but in a larger tank you're more likely to have better filtration, etc, as you'll be importing a lot of nutrients to keep them fed.

Totally agree with you ben. These fish arent open water swimmers as they mostly just hang out on live rock and wait for prey to pass by. But to reiterate these guys produce alot of waste during feeding so in a small system your nitrates will go through the roof without efficient exportation.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you ben. These fish arent open water swimmers as they mostly just hang out on live rock and wait for prey to pass by. But to reiterate these guys produce alot of waste during feeding so in a small system your nitrates will go through the roof without efficient exportation.

being curious what's your nutrient export system/routine? i can't remember exactly.

jedimasterben

Well, doesn't have much to do with their waste necessarily, just the amount of food that you put into the tank in general. Basically everything you put in ends up as waste whether it's eaten or not. Fish are extremely inefficient at taking nutrients from their food.

but yeah, sentiment is still the same lol, giant skimmer or algae scrubber (or both). :)

being curious what's your nutrient export system/routine? i can't remember exactly.

Water changes and vodka dosing.

Well, doesn't have much to do with their waste necessarily, just the amount of food that you put into the tank in general. Basically everything you put in ends up as waste whether it's eaten or not. Fish are extremely inefficient at taking nutrients from their food.

but yeah, sentiment is still the same lol, giant skimmer or algae scrubber (or both). :)

Your absolutely right. I should of been more specific what I meant was while these fish dont need to eat on a daily basis the amount of food they do consume when eating is downright brutal on a smaller system. :)

• Like 2

So I just wanted to give an update on my progress with the Radion XR15pro. So far ive been very happy with it. Ive been really slow in ramping up these LED's as I didnt want to risk bleaching any coral. In the interim I came across this PAR calculator designed for Radion Fixtures. This calculator is very detailed and allows you to simulate PAR measurements for a number of conditions. I recommend anyone with a radion to check it out......especially if you have recently purchased one of these fixtures. I have to be honest I was a little skeptical about the calculators accuracy. So I decided to take out my Seneye Reef PAR meter and do some comparative testing. (If anyone isnt familiar with the Seneye I did a review on them a while back..In short for the price they are some of the best PAR meters available) I tested the Seneye at various depths and intensities and I was very surprised as the results were nearly identical in most cases. Its great to know that anyone that has one of these lights and may not have a PAR meter can use this calculator with confidence.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Where are your facts that you usually post?

The fact that it doesn't actually use a PAR sensor. The Apogee sensor is basically the cheapest possible, and it's $160. Considering the Seneye is $200, I doubt that they'd spend over half their retail cost on getting a decent true PAR sensor. They use an RGB sensor in them, which I wouldn't even categorize as decent with measuring PAR.

The "PAR" meter in the Seneye is garbage. Don't put any stock into the numbers it gives.

Ben I have to disagree. I had the same reservations so I tested the seneye side by side an apogee meter and the results were nearly identical. The results of my test are in the review

Hes a beauty.....I want a frog but im scared he would eat my redfin..

not if you got a bitty baby. Absolutely fish sometimes has silver dollar sized ones. Cute.

Rehype's already seen this pic but I'm seeing a trend of dwarf fuzzy pics. So why not throw in a pic I took of this happy little guy. :)

7d4f5b1c498c3f42354453a775469cc2_zpsaa49

Wow! When you say little, what's this guys size?