Innovative Marine Aquariums

75g rimless reef build

csund

This is my first try at diving into saltwater, after having successful Tanganyikan and Malawi tanks.

I purchased a 75g starfire rimless tank (36x24x20) from a local LFS (Oceans by Design, in Tukwila, WA.) They are also building me a custom stand and sump which should be done this week.

Equipment so far:

Apex controller with lab grade probe, salinity module/probe and WXM module

Speed wave DC 1320gph (Skeptical but read great reviews)

(2) Vortech MP10w (Hope they will flow enough)

Vertex omega 150 skimmer

(2) 300w Finnex deluxe titanium heaters

(1) Finnex deluxe digital controller (Apex will control one)

Tunze osmolator universal 3155 ATO

(2) Ecotech radion XR30W pro

Will hopefully get pics up later this week if stand and sump are completed.

cs

• 4 weeks later...

My tank, stand and sump were completed last week. I promptly picked them up and was overall pretty impressed with the workmanship. I got to work pulling the brace out of the stand so I could paint the interior white. My main goal was to make the inside water tight and for visibility.

Painting was a lot more work than I expected. I had to wait a minimum of 16 hours and block sand between each coat (3 coats primer, 5 coats top coat.) I am very happy, the finish is incredibly glossy!

tank_stand_zps224b6876.jpg

paint_supplies_zps94e28de4.jpg

pettit_zps45fc6c13.jpg

sump_skimmer_zps11d35ba8.jpg

tank_stand_sump_zps5d5530db.jpg

I also installed lights in the stand. I really wanted one of the controllable LED panel lights (1'x2') but couldn't justify spending $200 for cabinet lighting. I picked these up at home depot for pretty cheap and they installed very easily. They came with dimmable switch/power supply and light the stand up very well.

light_installation_zps4266cf1c.jpg

light_installation_2_zpsaa928622.jpg

I really wanted to be able to run all my reactors off my return pump. I search all over the internet for a suitable water manifold and found only cheesy ones with barb fittings. I've decided to make my own, I purchased a piece of 3" PVC round stock.

I plan to cut it to length on a lathe and bore a 1" hole down the middle. I will then open up the last 1" on either end to 1.315 (OD of 1" PVC pipe) to allow for slip fittings. After milling two sides flat I will drill three holes per side (1/2" and 3/4") that intersect the 1" bore and tap them for NPT.

I am new to this but I am pretty sure I don't need any pipe small than 1/2 to run any reactor I may want/need? Hopefully I have time this weekend to complete this project.

3_inch_pvc_stock_zpsf50750e8.jpg

Nice tank! perfect dimensions. Good luck with your build!

I had a 36 x 24 x 20 rimmed tank, and used 2 mp10W es and it was plenty of flow. Of course though, I only had softies, and LPS, not a fan of SPS

Jesus christ this looks good.

Thank you!

Today was an exciting day!

I put the order into BRS today for 2x Radion Pros. I also was able to get started building my water manifold that will allow me to pull water from my return to run reactors etc...

manifold_mill_zps3260b05f.jpg

I also drilled a hole I forgot about in my sump plans.

drill_sump_zps1f8595b1.jpg

Pretty boring week aside from the Radions showing up. I managed to get a couple things done though.

The tank and sump were drilled for ABS bulkheads and I wanted to changed to Sch 80. I used a dremel and a porous file I bought at a stained glass shop to ream out the excess material. It worked well and only took about 10 minutes for the first hole and five for the other two. Make sure to use lots of water and go around the hole in the direction of rotation (of the bit) so it doesn't dig in. Every few passes I used the file to true up the hole and continued on with the dremel.

On the acrylic sump I used a aluminum oxide sanding wheel and a 12,000 rpm pneumatic grinder (24,000 is way to hard to control.) Same thing, go around in the direction of rotation and a curved file to true it up.

can you tell me exactly what your process/steps were for sealing the inside of the sump area?

I just painted with an epoxy based paint and primer. I had planned on using white silicone over the seams after I painted but I didn't need to. Enough of the paint made its way along the seams and made a perfect seal. I chose epoxy because it is water proof, seawater resistant and very impact resistant. The paint I choose is a marine top coat for yachts and is normally very expensive, I work in the marine industry and got it at about 50% of cost.

I just painted with an epoxy based paint and primer. I had planned on using white silicone over the seams after I painted but I didn't need to. Enough of the paint made its way along the seams and made a perfect seal. I chose epoxy because it is water proof, seawater resistant and very impact resistant. The paint I choose is a marine top coat for yachts and is normally very expensive, I work in the marine industry and got it at about 50% of cost.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to redo my stand one day.

However, what threw me off was your use of thinner. What did you use it for? To mix with the epoxy?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to redo my stand one day.

However, what threw me off was your use of thinner. What did you use it for? To mix with the epoxy?

You have to thin the paint/primer. There are two different thinners, one for brushing and one for spraying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't got a lot done recently due to work. I managed to hang my lights :)

My Pukani rock and Spectrapure Maxcap RODI unit showed up a few weeks ago but have yet to get started making water and curing the rock.

I stopped by the Oceans by Design, the LFS that built my tank, stand and sump. They had their Signature series sump on the showroom floor and it looked awesome. I should be getting drawings for the new sump in a few days :)

I'll get some pictures posted soon.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived