Coral Vue Hydros

Muck Biotope

Growerguy

Not a whole lot yet. I've been throwing ideas around with other local reefers and planning things. Daycare for the kid kind of slammed me this month so getting things setup has been put off for at least a few weeks. I'm excited to get this tank going and will eventually. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Growerguy

Really interested in this Biotope since I dived there! Some of the tableaux I witnessed would make amazing nanotopes. For example, on one coconut-sized coral on a barren volcanic sand flat I found 2 sea horses, a dwarf lion fish, an octopus, nudis, and various encrusting worms, sponges, algae, etc. So compact! There were lots of shrimp, crabs, and cephs - flamboyant and other cuttlefish, octopus.

There was a decent amount of flow and surge, but nothing too strong in the muck zone. Lembeh has some strong currents in general. Another thing I wonder about is the mineral, nutrient, and bacteria levels. There is a significant amount of coconut husks, palm fronds, wood, and fallen leaves which provide cover and nutrients. The substrate varies and in some areas is largely fine black or grey volcanic sand and silt. I would think that it holds very high densities of bacteria, as it is quite loose and porous. it also holds a lot of other micro-inverts and worms. Maybe this is why it can support such a high density and diversity of life - it's like the plankton are in the substrate itself.

Any anchor point like a pier, coral, etc. was like an oasis of life with all manner of seemingly incompatible creatures sharing the same space out of necessity, and it is these hotspots that would make great Biotope subjects.

Look forward to seeing how yours turns out!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived