SaltCritters.com

Drama's Biocube

Dramad1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media basket works great. Easy to access minus me having to take the light off, but that will be changing as soon as I hang my nanobox duo. :). The fuge basket is in there but currently nothing in it. My plans were for cheato but I always forget to pick some up at lfs or they are out when I go. I've had Second thoughts to running anything back there, I just don't want to be creating an area that collects nitrates. I may still go with cheato. As far as fuge light, I have the jbj fuge light that mounts in the rear if tank. I haven't really used it yet but it is bright.

I also modded the rear right hood on the tank to accommodate my aquaticlife skimmer, I basically cut a square in the hood just big enough for my collection cup to fit through. It's in chamber 1 and sat to low for my liking, it was producing a lot of wet skim mate. Now I'm able to adjust the skimmer up higher and its producing a dryer skim mate. I also did the airline mod to it.

Other than all that, my take seems to be doing well. I battled a Lil algae last month but I am removing as much as possible by hand and burning any off that I see when I do my weekly w/c's. seems to be working quite well. I have a few Lil bubble algae bubbles I need to remove, they hichiked in on a zoa frag colony I bought.

MyLiquidBlue29BC

I don't know why I thought you got the submersible light. LoL that is the one I want. I like the idea of a fuge basket as I think it will let me clean my cheato without it getting all over the place. If you get some cheato, please post about how it works. :) maybe the cheato will out compete your algae. I'm headed out to improve my CUC today. I have more film algae than my small CUC can manage. I have four awesome LFSs, maybe I can actually find some ceriths this time

• 2 weeks later...

So a Lil update. My tank went from filling up and looking good to looking like its turning into a pest tank. Fml.

I have been battling byropis for the last month, mainly removing as much as possible by hand every week. I got feed up with it and pulled the rocks out, messing up my scape and burning as much as it off as possible. It seems to have disappeared for now. If it returns the tech m it is.

I have a small patch of cyno that has showed up this past week that I'm battling to regain control over.

Today I noticed I have flat worms all over my glass- yea! So I need to get rid of them ASAP. Anyone recommend anything in particular that will get them out fast?

I also noticed a few cocoon looking things under my monti caps. No idea what they are and am wondering if I should remove them.

I never had any of these issues with my previous tanks and this is all new and somewhat of a bummer for me. I do weekly 5 gal changes, dip all my corals, clean all of my equip weekly and test twice a week for my journal. I feel like I'm having a stroke of bad luck with the tank right now. On another note, my corals all seem fine and growing, water quality is crystal clear, water params are all with in ranges, temp is great.

Ill keep battling away I suppose. I may start doing several water changes a week until this all clears up.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got rid of the hqi lighting and hung my new nanobox duo over the tank today. I have it set at 30% across the board. I need to mess with it a Lil bit. I don't want to melt anything.

Light came out super clean, thanks Dave for hooking it up and getting me set up right! Light is currently about 6-7" above the water. Glass top is still on tank as well.

I syphoned out about ten # of sand I put in originally and replaced with Carib-sea indo-paci

Sand. I believe the original sand had silica possibly in it. I will be removing the remainder of old sand over the nxt week or so and replacing with some more of the indo-pacific. I've done two water changes since replacing the sand, 1-5gal and 1x3gal and I have another 3 gal ready to go if I need it. Everything looks fine and algae is back in check.

Anyone with a 29gal tank running a nano box? Curious what you set the light up lighting% wise when you first set it up and what you are running everything at now, just to give me an idea for different spectrum. Also what channels for what color LEDs? I haven't really messed with it much yet. Just got finished hanging it and tidying up my wires.

Here are several pics:

Opinions/remarks please.

58BAA208-D1CC-495B-8840-14645320284E_zps

16435B1B-35FB-4ACE-A6AB-041FF02EB293_zps

4CEA5B7E-4879-463E-8FEC-8D7FE5855CCC_zps

926E2EC1-438C-49AF-9A35-1C95DCDA132F_zps

04C54649-7AF9-4F5E-9AF8-E51DFCFC827F_zps

0502D8A8-28BF-4DCA-9518-FB10B1EA3409_zps

3913BE9A-A2D6-48B1-B393-34140AF0B455_zps

8E14A24D-DC44-4287-9AEB-E836271B6E27_zps

Please disregard my superglue tube holding my catch cup level. Lol. Will fix soon.

Looking nice, that NanoBox light is very nice. Maybe someday I can get Zoas to grow like that. My single polyp did just create a new head recently, woohoo 100% growth! When I went with a powerful LED I started at 30% white and just a bit more blue. Turn it up each week until you like the look and your corals stay full and colorful.

I absolutely love this tank. What's the big coral at the bottom right?

Thank you very much.

The coral on the bottom right is a green toadstool leather. It has almost tripled in size since I have had him.

Looking good Dan. Glad you are enjoying the light already.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. Tank is still über young so we will see what kinda slice I can create.

I'm reading the coralux manual now.

• 1 month later...

Update:

So about a week 1/2 ago maybe 2 weeks I was having a byropsis outbreak, I tried ordering the lettuce nudi only to receive unknown nudi- gave away, and some mex turbos. I still have 3 of the 5 turbos. Gave the other 2 away.

Well the byropsis was starting to get bushy and over taking over my corals. Eye sore and a half. So I spent 2 hours or so manually removing as much as I possibly could. Changed my floss a few days in a row then swapped in some fresh purigen and carbon. Started dosing tech m heavly, brought the mag up to around 2000ppm.

Today my tank is byropsis free. All of the little pieces that I couldnt get died off and or the turbos ate it. Im so happy that the mag treatment is working. I plan to continue dosing the tech m for another few weeks to be sure it all dies.

Thanks. I was starting to worry a lil when it was getting out of control. Tech m was my last stand. I thought I was going to have to scrap the whole build and start over for a minute. Thankfully, with the help and wisdom from several members here, I was able to kill the infestation.

Im so bored right now! Spent the last few hours inspecting my tank, wiping the cabinet out and tinkering with equip.

After a thorough visual inspection, I have spotted a few hitchhikers. 1st one shocked me, it was some sort of crab. Hope it's not a gorilla crab. I noticed just part of his shell and claw crawling into my zoa garden. I have since tried to find him and am unsuccessful. I will look again after lights out to see if I can get a better visual and possible photo.

2nd hitchhiker spotted appears to look like a lettuce nudi. I am a lil shocked considering the lettuce nudi I ordered 3-4 weeks ago turned out to be some random nudi and I got rid of it. When I first noticed this possible nudi, it first appeared to look like a small piece of sea lettuce. Then I saw it moving like a nudi and what appears to look like lettuce on its back. Hmmm.. its just a baby at this time so i will keep an eye in it. If it is, id be stoked but bummed out at the same time because my byropsis outbreak has been eradicated and id have to get rid of it.

Other than that with the bc, all has been good and tank is becoming more mature and corals are growing, filling in making a more natural appearance.

Ill keep it posted fellas. Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanks doing great. Battling a few patches of turf algae and dealing with a large and growing larger toadstool leather.

Quick pic:

20140426_141510_zpsziy6ajvt.jpg

Thanks, tank is still in the making. Currently debating on pulling all the lps and softys out and turning it into a sps only cube. Lps and softys would go in my microreefs tank and or my cad.

I have an interesting video I took of the tank showing a hitchhiker in my zoas. Im waiting for photobucket to upload them now.

Archived