Cultivated Reef

DIY net top for rimless tanks? I might have an idea...

1.0reef

I was thinking of doing something like this for my new build, the idea is to get thin acrylic rods

Like these- http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/acrylic_rods/147

cut the ends at an angle so they attach at the corners, then simply use netting and a sealant that bonds to the acrylic.

Any acrylic experts that approve of this idea or does it sounds completely idiotic?

How big of a tank are we talking about? I've made custom glass tops for smaller ones but I have an idea for a larger tank if you can find someone who works with glass near you.

24 x 12 and 20 x 10, I'm wondering if the idea is even possible, because if it is then I could have a rimless tank with a net top that keeps the rimless look.

my evolve 4 is rimless and I rather like the look I don't think it takes away from the overall appeal at all. It's just a thin piece of glass over top key is you make it just a tiny bit longer over the edges so it stays on. Don't mean to throw you off just maybe throwing out an idea you aven't thought of. If I knew someone who could cut larger sheets of glass I actually think I'd go into business making them for people on here, I even have an idea to make one with hinges.

I can show you a pic if you wanna see what I'm talking about.

A lot of people think it does, I don't care about it much, but a rimless tank with a normal black net top looks like a normal one to me....

I'd like to see the pic, but is that a solid piece of glass?

Yeah the one I have is solid. My idea for a bigger one would have a hinged section on either the front or the back or right down the middle to make getting in the tank easier let me get a pick haven't put it fully together yet but you'll get the idea.

Ohhhh, I wasn't going to do a solid top, I'd rather top off vs clean off salt creep, plus if I covered both tanks I'd be worried about fluncuations in temp, O2, etc

Ummm, if I was you, btw mine is open top, I would use acrylic rods, weld on and cut fine strips of "sticky back" velcro (JoAnn Fabrics, Michael's) and stick the pieces to the rods and the other to the screen material in question. That way you'll get a very low profile frame.

That velcro is so handy. Thanks to my wife that suggested the idea of using it long ago :)

asdfg_zps15f50433.jpg

Just have some extra vinyl backing from my 40 breeder on the back of it so I can have space for the light and air to get in without leaving too much room for evaporation. This will actually help prevent temp fluctuations IME.

When you use glass the evaporation on it will also prevent the shimmer reflection on your ceiling :rolleyes: .

You could also use two pieces of acrylic on opposite sides, wrap the net around them and just hang the acrylic rods off two sides of the tank like

lxl (l are acrylic pieces and x is net)

so you won't see acrylic in the front. Just depends on how stiff the net is and if acrylic is heavy enough to hold it taunt.

That IS awesome! But mine would be one piece, for simplicity, plus it's a nano.

Wouldn't the the rods not weigh enough to keep it down? a simple thump will knock it off.

Hmm, some type of hinge or glue/bonding material could be used on the backside (Where no one will be looking)

Either of my cats could easily knock it down, and would do so pretty frequently....

When you use glass the evaporation on it will also prevent the shimmer reflection on your ceiling :rolleyes: .

You could also use two pieces of acrylic on opposite sides, wrap the net around them and just hang the acrylic rods off two sides of the tank like

lxl (l are acrylic pieces and x is net)

so you won't see acrylic in the front. Just depends on how stiff the net is and if acrylic is heavy enough to hold it taunt.

I'll look into that :)

Archived