Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

enabler! ha!

have you had any issues with your yuma?

i've read that they can be more sensitive than the rics.

Greetings from Santa Barbara!! :)

I've read the same but I've been moving mine around the tank and everywhere I put it, it opens up almost immediately so I'd say this is one of the hardier ones. The more expensive pink ones are more prone to melting I think.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome little pico... love the picotopes. How do you like the light? a wavepoint?

Thank you :) The light is a solar flare led 15w. It's much better than the stock picotope light and gets the job done but if I ever upgrade the tank I'll be upgrading the light too.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, long time no post. I went home this Saturday and checked up on the tank. Found my algae growth going crazy, dragonsbreath and coralline, mostly, so no worries there, but that might indicate higher nitrates. At the same time, I noticed that my greenbanded goby was considerably smaller. I figured it was just because I'd been gone so long I had forgotten what he looked like, so I fed some mysis, did a water change and went to bed.

This morning, I found him perched on the glass, so I tried to feed him some pellets, but he was unresponsive, even when I held the tweezers close to him. I left for a couple hours and when I got back, he was dead on the sand... I'm not sure what happened but everything else looks a-okay. I did notice that his fins were a bit frayed and lined with white so I'm thinking fin rot, but I just don't know. I should get my water test results tomorrow and update then. Just seriously bummed, it looks like I don't have much luck with gobies... :(

The tank will be going fishless for awhile, and I've reintroduced the sexies to add some life now that both the goby and crab are gone. Hopefully they won't munch..

RIP Skippy (11/2/14)

Anyways, current FTS. I didn't really have the heart to take more than a few pictures.

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/50e50e5b-b885-4b08-90db-8e227ab6cf09_zpsb84e0f3f.jpg.html'>50e50e5b-b885-4b08-90db-8e227ab6cf09_zps

aww i'm so sorry. *hugs*

was your dad feeding the goby while you

were gone? i think it's really hard to not care

for a tank full time and trust someone else to it.

i got a yellow clown goby and a rainfordi goby

myself, and have been struggling with feeding issues.

keep trying. especially for the rainfordi, who are super

picky!

thanks for the update though.

ps. i bought a GCG and it jumped

within 24 hours from very small area to

jump from and dieded. :( sympathies.

Poor Skippy :tears: Sorry for your loss. The tank looks great though

Thank you :) it's easier for my parents to look after the tank this way at any rate.

aww i'm so sorry. *hugs*

was your dad feeding the goby while you

were gone? i think it's really hard to not care

for a tank full time and trust someone else to it.

i got a yellow clown goby and a rainfordi goby

myself, and have been struggling with feeding issues.

keep trying. especially for the rainfordi, who are super

picky!

thanks for the update though.

ps. i bought a GCG and it jumped

within 24 hours from very small area to

jump from and dieded. :( sympathies.

Haha thanks, he was but reported that it'd try to eat and spit the food out but I thought that was just because the food was too big and it was trying to break it down.

Sorry to hear about your woes :/ I guess gobies are tougher to keep than I thought haha.

yeah. mine does the same. i have New Life Spectrum

.5mm pellets that i ground up to even smaller (like dust)

and then soak for 5 minutes in a bit of saltwater or RODI.

then i pour it even with pump off.

i'm trying a bunch of differnt frozen foods too.

yeah. mine does the same. i have New Life Spectrum

.5mm pellets that i ground up to even smaller (like dust)

and then soak for 5 minutes in a bit of saltwater or RODI.

then i pour it even with pump off.

i'm trying a bunch of differnt frozen foods too.

I feed those pellets too. Mysis during water changes, I hope you fare better than I did :)

Dragon's breath looks awesome... still looking good, sorry for the goby loss.. the small gobies seem to be hard to keep fed.

Thanks, everything was looking good except the fish. Dragonsbreath growth is crazy; you can see a month of growth in the original post. Still hasn't attached, though I was told it would.. Starting to think it won't. At least you can't see the rubber band :)

Good tank, sorry about skippy :'(

Its definitely a little frustrating considering how well he'd been doing but these things happen. Thanks for checking out my tank :)

• 4 weeks later...

Back in town for another update!

Came home to ridiculous dragonsbreath algae growth. Stuff is shadowing half my tank... bleached my birdsnest :closedeyes: Also, lights were kept on too long, causing (at least I think) literally all my zoanthids to diminish in size. Except my punk rockers who up until a couple weeks ago, were looking the worst out of the whole lot. I guess crazier things have happened :)

Nano conch (which are actually collumbellid snails) growing up and growing big.

IMG_8962_zpsebc2d0b5.jpg

One of the affected zoa colonies :/ Decreasing the light to 6 hours a day to hopefully get them back up.

IMG_8941_zps235c7f9a.jpg

Sexies sure love their softies :lol:

IMG_8936_zpsef2a6347.jpg

IMG_8942_zpsf4424f69.jpg

FTS. Gotta trim that macro. If anyone near OC wants some, let me know haha

IMG_8969_zps4b343f50.jpg

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving to you all :)

-Anthony

bummer about too much light. that can be lethal.

you don't have it set on timer? probably easier

for your dad, or whomever is looking after.

doesn't look too bad though! hope you enjoyed

your thanksgiving break!!

Traded in the macro to Reef Lounge, ridiculously crazy people. I asked for $15 over the phone, came in with the bag, owner dumps it into a holding tank, and says $30. I was like, "Wait.. what?" :lol: So I walked out with a crazyyy hammer. Thing is so bright that it looks better in the picture than in person. Which is really saying something. Hope sexies don't munch.

IMG_9019_zpsc36fc7b9.jpg

And since everything was looking purdy, I took a couple tank shots

IMG_9026_zpsf8c2011a.jpg

Sand is not that white in person but I was surprised to come home to it looking nearly spotless. Nano conches ftw or just the tank telling me that it's growing up and to stop babying it? :)

IMG_9040_zps48d1912d.jpg

One of my sexies does seem to be MIA, though the two remaining are a male and female, so at least they'll still be making monthly baby shrimp batches for the corals. Anyways, just figured I'd post another shot after the dragonsbreath trim before heading back up to SB tomorrow.

bummer about too much light. that can be lethal.

you don't have it set on timer? probably easier

for your dad, or whomever is looking after.

doesn't look too bad though! hope you enjoyed

your thanksgiving break!!

It's set on a timer, yes but my dad apparently changed it to turn on at 7am and off at 9pm. I'm not upset or anything; everything else looks good and growing so, y'know. Win some lose some. Lights currently set to come on at 11am and off at 6pm.

wow, your hammers are gorgeous!

they seem more green on the stalks than mine!

and 7am-9pm is a long time, isn't it? tell your

dad not to fiddle with the timer. haha!

i know, it's nice for him to take care of and all,

but still! :)

wow, your hammers are gorgeous!

they seem more green on the stalks than mine!

and 7am-9pm is a long time, isn't it? tell your

dad not to fiddle with the timer. haha!

i know, it's nice for him to take care of and all,

but still! :)

Thanks, it's pretty mesmerizing. One of the heads was splitting but the nice lady charged me for two :happydance:

And yes, yes it is lol. I don't think he knew, but I let him know for sure. I don't want him to feel bad though, he's getting pretty attached to my tank (almost as much as me) and has been really supportive of my venture. Plus, aside from that, the tank is looking really healthy. Pleasant surprise after a long week of school :)

Those hammer are BEAUTIFUL!!!! The tank looks great as always Ant. This has to be one of my favorite tanks on NR.

Thanks man! :) that means a lot considering how many gorgeous tanks you can find around here.

In other news, just received word that the missing shrimp wound up in the filter chamber and is fine hahah. Threes a crowd, I guess ;)

The Hammers do look awesome. I'd love to get one... but all of the Euphyllia corals (Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn) are very aggressive and can grow sweeper tentacles up to 6 inches long that can sting and kill other corals. How does one deal with a Euphyllia in a pico aquarium?

The Hammers do look awesome. I'd love to get one... but all of the Euphyllia corals (Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn) are very aggressive and can grow sweeper tentacles up to 6 inches long that can sting and kill other corals. How does one deal with a Euphyllia in a pico aquarium?

one plays Stinger Roulette. :)

i've got my hammer sitting high, but

my frogspawn is definitely outgrowing its

corner. wah! i have an 8g.

13weeksFTS.jpg

Before the hammer, I had a head of frogspawn that was doing awesome... until it fell over and got picked at by the sexy shrimp. I had it for a couple months and in that time I never saw a single sweeper so I decided to give the hammer a try. I'll definitely frag it once it grows though. The only euphyllia I've ever actually seen extend sweepers were torches at the LFS so I steered away from them.

i have two sexies, no issues with picking.

and my frogspawn has fallen many times. it's

just stuck in my shallow sandbed. ha!

i've never fragged anything before. :o

i have two sexies, no issues with picking.

and my frogspawn has fallen many times. it's

just stuck in my shallow sandbed. ha!

i've never fragged anything before. :o

Sometimes if euphyllia fall over/get injured they start deteriorating, I don't know why but my sexies definitely took advantage of that haha. Good luck with yours! And fragging is simple enough, you just kinda try to break it off as cleanly as possible :D

Mad props to the Santa Barbara crowd! I hail from the Solvang/Santa Maria area from way back when. Do you all know if that LFS over near the Santa Maria library is still there? Went and visited it like 12 years ago and from then on, I was like: this is how a fish store should be. ;) Wished I had run into a LFS in Santa Barbara but we all went to the zoo and the big mall instead. Bleh

Archived