Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I most certainly will. Its gonna be a little bit.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it :)

Update on the hammer, I've decided not to iodine dip and tossed it into the other tank. It's definitely looking a lot happier today, though not at 100%, so I'm thinking of keeping it there. I'll probably try another birdsnest again to fill in the space :S

Small June update for you guys :)

Monti-cap growth

IMG_0715_zpshboke0lh.jpg

Accidental baby yumas.. lol. Hope they get more color

IMG_0716_zps26mlhif1.jpg

Decided to replace the hammer with another small birdsnest frag. Unfortunately, the sexies nipped at a large portion of the polyps on one of the branches which then started to pale.. Hopefully it recovers. It doesn't bring the same green pop as the hammers did but it should fill in the space nicely once it grows out.

IMG_0717_zpsjbjky61l.jpg

FTS:

IMG_0714_zpsba0zjayv.jpg

Tank is looking great! Lots of coralline

Thanks man! I used to be sad that the tank wasn't growing any but now it's almost out of control :P

Great job. I like how you left empty space in your tank. It looks really good.

Thanks! I moved the rocks around because I was afraid the coral weren't getting enough light and ended up liking the way it looked. Corals do too so that's a huge plus :)
  • 3 weeks later...

i have some baby yumas too!

and are you growing the monti under your mini tide??

Haha thats awesome! I fragged em off the rock but some pieces were leftover and are already starting to grow :)

The only light on this tank is the solar flare led. My other tank has the mini over it!

Love your tank I want one just like it.I was wondering were you got that light from.

Amazon for around $50. It's the solarflare 15w led with gooseneck. It isnt the best light ever for the picotope IMO but it works just fine for me and fits over it well enough. Thanks for the kind words :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from a week long vacation up in Seattle.. twas a blast for me, not so much for the tank. Something went wrong with the light, kicked it up to 11 hours of light as opposed to the 7 hours I had been running before leaving. Needless to say, a few inhabitants were pissed, namely the new birdsnest that was just starting to look good :/

IMG_1365_zpsjtp2rkkp.jpg

Tiny bits of PE from the remaining flesh. Not sure what to do but dial down the lighting schedule and wait.

IMG_1364_zpsm8wbq2m1.jpg

Montis took a hit too, not as bad as the birdsnest and hopefully more recoverable

IMG_1366_zpsqonle5kz.jpg

Sigh, even the bulletproof pipe organ... Shouldn't be as bad as the SPS though

IMG_1373_zps4szmiljb.jpg

Managed to pluck a few of the baby yumas off of the rock they were on. Not sure what to do with them yet. Can't really trade em in for much credit :lol: More babies are popping up around the tank thoughh ergh

IMG_1362_zps18k8ftjn.jpg

Same goes for these kenya frags haha. I've been mowing them down from the one spot they grow on and sticking them in empty shells so removal isn't really a problem.

IMG_1372_zpsmhimtmmg.jpg

Top down. All my problems seem quite small from this perspective :happy:

IMG_1371_zps3coaeoq9.jpg

FTS:

IMG_1361_zps1lags0jv.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

You're really doing something right to those yumas.

Hahah actually more like you can't go wrong ;) they're basically weeds

Is that so? I may have to find me one or two of those! Haha

ah man would've sent some your way if you were local!

looks fantastic! are you home for the summer??

Thanks! And yeah, for awhile haha :) Coral shopping feels so good..

I've also been messing around with the camera in hopes of reducing the glare from the barebottom. Took an FTS today, tips appreciated!

IMG_3980_zpsk7z5eynj.jpg

I'm also looking to find a coral to top the left rock since the birdsnest unfortunately doesn't look like it's going to pull through. I really like the way millepora look and a small branching colony would look nice right there, I think. I'm not too sure about care so if anybody with experience can chime in... :lol:

Still tinkering around with the camera :P A few shots I've been practicing. I find the wavy corals to be easier to photograph haha

IMG_3987_zpsro4keef9.jpg

IMG_3995_zpsuuvfw5lk.jpg

IMG_4005_zps0yh6goh5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling type-happy so here's my little thank you for you guys :)

It's been two years give or take a few weeks since I've had this tank up and running (I started keeping track post cycle) and it's hard to believe how well it's been doing! Strictly speaking, none of the inhabitants in this tank are, in my opinion, difficult to care for and are actually very relatively forgiving. However, I believe the time that you and I have spent researching, experimenting, and sharing information is sizably worthy of the credit for keeping this tank up and running for as long as it has. I'm also certain that this tank has reached a stable and mature form, despite the occasional mishap, and for the reality of my being able to maintain a thriving, miniature, against-the-odds ecosystem in my bedroom of all places, I must thank you, nano-reef.

Anyways, pictures!

First up is a bit of bad news. One of the major changes I've made in my absence was to reintroduce a sandbed, this time using Caribsea seaflor grade as it is coarser than the sugar size and therefore wouldn't get blown around by the AC70 or gradually siphoned, two main problems I had with the sugar size. The addition of sand opened up the option of a shrimp goby pair, so I went ahead and did it.

Here's the shrimp:

IMG_4043_zpsle6hnvab.jpg

And the goby, who unfortunately, jumped out during the first night. I honestly didn't think it'd jump since it had spent the entire day under a burrow the shrimp had quickly made but I'm not making that mistake again.

IMG_4040_zpsaapytvam.jpg

In honor of my one night stand... :(:lol:

IMG_4081_zpscvhsbmpd.jpg

It's pretty shoddy (2 sheets of acrylic with mesh sandwiched in between, held together with a messy silicone job) but it should keep the future fish in. If it doesn't, well, I'm gonna take that as a sign that I wasn't meant to keep fish haha.

Pipe organ going downhill :( If anyone knows what to do, please let me know; it's one of my oldest corals and I'd really like to save it. It seems to be bleached and losing polyps everyday..

IMG_4077_zpsxthnvevp.jpg

My kenya/mushroom hoard lol

IMG_4080_zps4sotl2br.jpg

Managed to accidentally frag my monti cap <_< I glued the fragment to the intake for laughs but it actually looks alright there.

IMG_4070_zpsaix1q32x.jpg

Also thought it'd be fun to glue some xenia to the intake as well :lol: You can sort of see the aforementioned cap frag also. I've always liked the look of xenia but it's so scary what it can do (I've seen things. Xeniafied things..) that I've shied away from it. Attaching it to the intake, I hope, will be a simple alternative since it won't be able to spread to neighboring rocks, but we'll see.

IMG_4069_zpswrqwonpt.jpg

Also picked up this birdsnest frag to replace the other one since I couldn't find a decently priced millie frag anywhere. It's got great polyp extension, but unfortunately, it's reaal brown. The skin under actinic lighting is actually green though, so here's hoping the color improves.

IMG_4072_zpshfybp1hx.jpg

Shot of some new rics and zoas, as well as my blastos

IMG_4076_zps5axdyep4.jpg

And the FTS! Not sure why the tank looks slanted...

IMG_4064_zpsjp7dy1dk.jpg

By the way, the July 4th Nanobox Contest light arrived...

IMG_4056_zpsoqj4un8o.jpg

I can't really put it over my tank since the back of the AC70 is not very sturdy and the light's pretty heavy so it's going to a classroom setup which I hope to get pictures of once it's running! Thanks to Dave for this patriotic piece of equipment :D The kids can salute this instead of the flag when they're doing the pledge haha.

Anyways, tl;dr, thanks for another great year everyone!

-Anthony

Looks good!

For the pipe organ, maybe move it somewhere more shaded? Did it start going downhill only recently?

Thanks!

And yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. It's been bleached about a month now and degrading about a week. It's been pretty resilient in the past but it hasn't recovered from the time I was gone for a week and the light's timer somehow switched from 7 hours to 10-11 hours

Archived