Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

Hey everybody :) Bit of bad news, just got back for spring break, tank's looking good except for my hammer coral..

I'll give a full update later but for right now I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have for this. Anyways here's all I know about what happened:

Two heads appear to have lost a lot of tissue but I don't see any brown jelly. I've also isolated the sexy shrimp to prevent what happened last time with my frogspawn and give the coral a chance to heal if there's one to be had. Parameters will be tested and edited into this post later today, and a water change is definitely on the to-do list. I was told their condition began last monday, the day after a water change. The third head is just as healthy as ever so I do feel it's possible something besides the water is the problem. I've also noticed a vermetid snail population outbreak, some of which are living on the hammer's skeleton.

So, my questions are, can the affected heads be saved or should I frag the remaining healthy head and toss the rest? I will have access to Lugol's on Monday, so will a dip help at all? And should I break off the vermetids attached to the skeleton? Any help would be great :) I'd hate to lose such a beautiful coral especially after how well it's been doing.

IMG_9783_zpszwhwgy3z.jpg

IMG_9785_zps1jxp5vpr.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any skin loss, just severe deflation. Could they have gotten stung by something?

Unless dragonsbreath can sting now, i doubt anything was bothering it.. Haha, but yeah, it looked worse in person. Pieces of flesh were floating around so I siphoned them out quick before the other coral might've gotten stung.

Not the hammer :(

Aw I know :(

The affected heads were looking even worse today; I didn't want to chance it so I broke them off and tossed them. The remaining couple heads still look healthy as ever though :)

i have no advice, but i'm sorry. that sucks. :(

Yeah I'm bummed about it but the other heads looking good so all is not lost :)

Hi antsy, your tank looks wonderful. Love the setup. Really sorry about your hammer though - I hope it bounces back!

Thanks for checking it out :) remaining hammer head is doing fine so I'm not too distressed about it.

Oh btw, to any of you reading this, I've set up another tank recently. Its still in the early phases so it isn't much to look at but I'd love for you to let me know what you think :) links right here: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/359270-ants-75g-shallow/#entry4989369

JavaJacketOC

Have you checked for any swings on your water parameters? Possibly stray current?

I had stray current from an ATO float switch that only affected my monti cap, everything else looked fine.

Have you checked for any swings on your water parameters? Possibly stray current?

I had stray current from an ATO float switch that only affected my monti cap, everything else looked fine.

Params mostly checked out at the LFS. I forgot to write em down but there still is an issue with the alk. It's been getting better but over the course of dosing, hammer has always been one of the healthiest. I'm not sure about the current though, it might need looking into. Thanks for the input :)

Poor hammer! Probably best that you fragged off the bad bits. I hope everything stays happy now!

Everything actually looks really happy aside from that! I'm super excited to see the tank starting to mature.

Late March update but eh :)

I rearranged rocks a little and by that I mean I moved one rock back a little. Funny how tiny changes like that in a pico can completely shift the dynamic like that. Everything seems to be a bit happier as well, so that was nice to see. Aside from that, not much else has changed, there's been some growth with most of the corals and my dragonsbreath actually attached to the rock so no need for that ugly rubberband anymore! I remember reading some conflicting reports about whether or not dragonsbreath actually attaches so I'm happy to see that my strain of it does in fact attach, albeit after quite a while. It also seems to attach similarly to the way chaeto does instead of with rhizoids like caulerpa which would explain why it takes so long to do so. Anyways, peectures :P

Bad photo, but it shows most of my zoas that are doing well

IMG_9893_zpsg6qizgcf.jpg

Finally got around to mounting that red monti frag hahah (couple months) Thing is tough as nails, you can already see some flesh starting to grow over the superglue

IMG_9890_zpswjjmgbut.jpg

Remaining hammer heads photogenic as always.

IMG_9892_zpsfkpn19xt.jpg

Baby yumas :)

IMG_9888_zpsar4mmjju.jpg

Moved duncan to the front. It's looking happier than I've seen it in awhile.

IMG_9884_zps0kxfnxeq.jpg

Actinic shot cause I haven't done one in awhile. As always, color is off heh

IMG_9899_zpskp0dactk.jpg

Topdown

IMG_9895_zps2c0bom5d.jpg

And finally, our March FTS :)

IMG_9878_zpseund7e20.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys!

looking good! really clean

Thanks! Camera makes the sand whiter than it is. Sometimes I wish I'd gone barebottom, the detritus sandbed tradeoff is such a bummer :( But it looks so goodddd arghh haha.

In other news, I picked up two awesome zoa colonies for $10 each from Iconic Reef. If any of you are ever in my area, I'd definitely recommend it. They've got a super clean store, cheap frags, and for some mysterious reason, healthy sea lilies :blink:

Also, in other, sadder news, one my two nano conches died :( I was hoping to get a small population going but I guess that's out of the question until I can find someone selling some more..

• 1 month later...
antsypants

Quick update. Nothing major but there were a few changes :)

Coralline growth is getting a little crazy...

IMG_0496_zpsciegso0q.jpg

Had to reglue the duncan haha..

IMG_0498_zpscpev232m.jpg

Topdown, as you can see, I siphoned out a bunch of sand. It was getting pretty gross

IMG_0505_zps0ye4b8ye.jpg

FTS. Trying out half sand-half bare for now. Unfortunately this causes a glare when taking pictures but hopefully coralline will cover it up soon.

IMG_0492_zpsqemgesst.jpg

Hammer is looking alright. Noticeably smaller than before though. Both monti caps are starting to encrust but I knocked the green one off when doing the water change today :angry: Aside from that and trimming the dragonsbreath for the other tank, that's about it for now :)

• 1 month later...
Dr.Brain Coral

Ant any updates?

I am finally setting up my tank. I am taking most of my inspiration from your tank by the way :lol::D

Ant any updates?I am finally setting up my tank. I am taking most of my inspiration from your tank by the way :lol::D

On its way! And awesome, link me up haha. Check out my other tanks in my sig if you like this one :)

I second an update! :D

Haha I third an update! Only reason why i havent is because I've been waiting for my hammer to improve before taking pics :/

Probably wont happen soon if at all so Ill try to update today or tomorrow.

Oh no! What happened to your hammer?

Uncertain about why. It just hasn't been extending as much as it has in the past. I'm waiting for some iodine to dip and then place in low flow in another tank, see what happens

Archived