Top Shelf Aquatics

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

-August Update-

Things are about the same, just added a few new corals and replaced the old sandbed. I took most of the pics under blues this time so I could practice tweaking on photobucket's not-so-great editor so apologies if they seem overedited though the changes I made were really minor.

Blastos doing really well

4fed7c54-a8e9-476d-84f5-65023b833612_zps

A new pic of the goby. Dunno why his colors look so faded; they're brighter in person.

a6e07ba2-75b0-4b31-8d93-18000e6d384e_zps

I can finally cross rastas off my bucketlist lol. I also had to pay for the unknown red/green zoa that came with it but at 10pp it was worth it :) Hoping it grows in quick.

910d8718-8f15-4fc6-82f6-62c802d4e009_zps

Also picked up some dragonsbreath. The red tips are actually bright orange and the faded out parts are red in person.

0e2ccb0b-9572-4be1-9e20-eeeb4def3f83_zps

My duncan :wub: When I accidentally touch it, it shrinks super fast and its mouth opens really wide to let out water, I presume. It's really sassy when it does that lolol

4f9bdc58-9fd4-40ac-82da-be231cc1af57_zps

The sexies still in isolation :closedeyes: They don't seem to mind though

IMG_8302_zps7b3834af.jpg

Tried my hand at fragging the kenya that sprouted up after I tore out the old one. Easier than I thought it'd be B) Though I doubt anyone's gonna want it haha

IMG_8340_zpse05c3f23.jpg

Added an aussie acro recently as well. It's kinda brown/blue under whites and more blue under blues... hm. It's doing pretty well so far and came with a bunch of filterfeeding barnacles which are pretty fun to watch.

9564da56-869d-469f-99e3-b0a1cc9d736c_zps

Topdown

IMG_8398_zps909a5799.jpg

FTS under whites

902729a8-23ab-4555-9715-25f281d42fd9_zps

And one under blues

9458d624-865e-4252-bab2-d074c54e0b02_zps

On a side note, the punk rockers have fallen ill to some kind of fungus and I did have an outbreak of gelidium both of which I am treating w/hydrogen peroxide. So far, the gelidium has been turning hot pink/orange and then white and the zoas have begun to open a little so I'm thinking it works. Just as an FYI for anyone with the same problem.

Anyways, thanks for looking as usual :D

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome little tank you've got going on man. Seems to be you're having some success with a breeding pair of sexies,did any of the babies survive ? And how are those sps holding up for you ?

nice and clean..I like it! :D

Thanks! I like it clean too ;)

Awesome little tank you've got going on man. Seems to be you're having some success with a breeding pair of sexies,did any of the babies survive ? And how are those sps holding up for you ?

Thank you :) Unfortunately no, as far as I can tell. They require a specific environment similar to a jelly tank as well as a baby brine shrimp food source. I might try to raise them in the future though. SPS are doing well, birdsnest in particular has pretty good PE. The acro looked brighter in the store but I assume it's because of the difference in light since it isn't deteriorating in any way.

Sooo,basically no flow and maybe a air pump ? I don't know the specifics lol. Too bad you couldn't have reared them and sold them to a LFS or gotten store credit man,that would have been awesome !!

Sooo,basically no flow and maybe a air pump ? I don't know the specifics lol. Too bad you couldn't have reared them and sold them to a LFS or gotten store credit man,that would have been awesome !!

That might work. There are only a couple stories about it on the internet, so plenty of room for experimenting hehe. Here's a link to the one I used when I was panic-researching after discovering the babies. http://reeftinkers.com/forums/topic/2-sexy-breeding-an-illustrated-guide/

I might attempt it down the road but I'm unprepared to raise them anytime soon though it would be pretty fun to walk into an LFS with a bagfull of shrimp lol

Looks very nice Ant

Thanks! :)

Also thinking of getting a small fighting conch to keep the sandbed stirred... any thoughts?

Really nice little tank! I'm going to clean my tank tomorrow after seeing this.

Hahah thanks! It's the only thing in my room that's clean.. :)

I love the fighting conches, they're so cute. I dunno if you can keep them in a tank that small but I'd love to know. Considering getting one for my 14 gallon.

Also love your tank :) It's amazing

I love the fighting conches, they're so cute. I dunno if you can keep them in a tank that small but I'd love to know. Considering getting one for my 14 gallon.

Also love your tank :) It's amazing

If I can find a really small one, I'll likely get it. Anything to keep my sand sparkling :) thanks for the kind words!

If it was Very tiny it would work but it would need to be re-homed pretty quick

Yeah I checked for small ones but most were pretty much full sized :/ thoughts on nano conches? The current TOTM utilizes them

love it! i'm just upgrading from my 3g

accidental saltwater pico to an 8g cadlights.

yours is inspiring. half my stock died when i

left it to be babysat at the LFS (i suspect the

temps got above 85 on many days), so

that was a bit heart wrenching. but happy to

get some new corals and hope new tank does

well.

can i ask what you use for media to keep

tank clean?

I have heard they are pretty much the best snails ever

Daaaaang I gotta find some :closedeyes:

love it! i'm just upgrading from my 3g

accidental saltwater pico to an 8g cadlights.

yours is inspiring. half my stock died when i

left it to be babysat at the LFS (i suspect the

temps got above 85 on many days), so

that was a bit heart wrenching. but happy to

get some new corals and hope new tank does

well.

can i ask what you use for media to keep

tank clean?

Ah man, sorry to hear about that :( Losing livestock is always hard but at least you're not giving up!

I run a bare AC70 with two sponges to catch detritus which I wash and wring out regularly. I keep my tank clean by stirring up the sandbed while doing about 1 gallon water changes.. maybe biweekly? Other than that, no chemical filtration :)

I love how clean your tank looks! Cant wait until things grow out :)

Thanks, me too! :lol:

He will get more soon. He has his 10 gallon that is predator free.

Ah cool, I actually just asked justind823 for a few since we're pretty close to each other. Thanks for the help though :)

~Mini Update~

Picked up a shrooom from LFS :) super colorful in person. Pic doesn't really capture the "pop"

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_8454_zps64b8b7b1.jpg.html'>IMG_8454_zps64b8b7b1.jpg

Kenya frags kept falling off so I stuck em into empty snail shells hahah, attached overnight. Go figure.. looks pretty cool though

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_8458_zpsf06a2711.jpg.html'>IMG_8458_zpsf06a2711.jpg

And these are the punk rocker's opening up after the treatment

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_8464_zps3fe02cad.jpg.html'>IMG_8464_zps3fe02cad.jpg

How they looked before... bottom right red ones on the sand. Dang my zoas looked way nicer before T_T

http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/antsypants77/media/IMG_5188_zpsa0a6a452.jpg.html'>IMG_5188_zpsa0a6a452.jpg

So obviously they've morphed on my because of the treatment... idk if they'll ever look the way they used to again but we'll see..

On a side note, I managed to convince my old high school bio teacher to start a saltwater tank :D It's a 7 gal. cube from PicO aquariums w/a par38. Pics to come next week

i absolutely love mushroom corals!

yay on purchase and great fotos. thank you

for sharing.

ps. is that a ricordea yuma? i've been reading

up on the ricordeas.

Archived