Cultivated Reef

Ant's 3 Gallon- June Update

antsypants

Dr.Brain Coral

Nice! IMO you should save up what you earn from that job and put it towards a tank that'll be able to better support what you'd like to keep. Of course it's your cash and tank but you seem like you really want a euphyllia and I really want to see you have one! :lol:

What kind of work will you be doing?

Thats always a possibility, I do love euphyllia. I do know I have to have Zoa's and Ric's since they where the first on my list when I first fell inlove with this hobby, and then euphyllia, frogspawn and brains in particular.

I would be helping her with her outreach programs. She brings kids from the area and does different labs and activites. She also does things to teach them if they really like something, they shouldnt not do it if money is the only issue. I dont know it all exactly but I am gonna go talk to her tomorrow alittle more.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats always a possibility, I do love euphyllia. I do know I have to have Zoa's and Ric's since they where the first on my list when I first fell inlove with this hobby, and then euphyllia, frogspawn and brains in particular.

I would be helping her with her outreach programs. She brings kids from the area and does different labs and activites. She also does things to teach them if they really like something, they shouldnt not do it if money is the only issue. I dont know it all exactly but I am gonna go talk to her tomorrow alittle more.

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of an LPS showpiece surrounded by softies :)

And oh, that's cool, I had an opportunity to do something similar at UCSB in the REEF room which is an aquarium/touch tank of sorts located right next to the ocean but I was a little preoccupied with my first year haha. Right now, however, I'm volunteering with the LTER group that's currently doing research on the kelp forest ecosystem.

Dr.Brain Coral

Thats really cool, do they do dives? If so you need to get open water certified so you can show me pictures haha. My dream dive is actually out by you in cali haha. But thats so awesome, how did you get into that?

Thats really cool, do they do dives? If so you need to get open water certified so you can show me pictures haha. My dream dive is actually out by you in cali haha. But thats so awesome, how did you get into that?

Yes sir, that's how data is collected. And yeah, I'm gonna try to get my open water certification next quarter. I'll be sure to upload any pictures that I can, though it'll be only cold water species. That said, I've seen some very vibrant sea slugs, moon anemones, swell sharks, etc so it's all very exciting :)

I applied last year, after seeing a flyer, been doing mostly data entry but now that it's my 2nd year, I can start teaching the new interns and possibly begin a research project if I choose to do so. Hopefully it goes well!

Dr.Brain Coral

"Only cold water" Your joking right :P I LOVE coldwater critters. For awhile I was obsessed with a coldwater tank. If chillers werent such a pain I would do that anyday over a reef actually haha :lol:

Hey sorry to take your thread on such a tangent haha, so I have a question about the tank lol. If you had to choose between a neon goby or a green banded, what would you pick?

"Only cold water" Your joking right :P I LOVE coldwater critters. For awhile I was obsessed with a coldwater tank. If chillers werent such a pain I would do that anyday over a reef actually haha :lol:

Hey sorry to take your thread on such a tangent haha, so I have a question about the tank lol. If you had to choose between a neon goby or a green banded, what would you pick?

Up early too, eh? ;)

And well, I grew up with temperate tide pools and stuff like that so don't get me wrong, I love the cold water inhabitants. It's just that most people here are familiar with the more tropical species hahah. Chillers are just so expensive though, you're right :( I'd love a tank with just strawberry nems and a catalina goby or something similar.

And no worries! College is quite relevant to this tank seeing as it's currently sitting in my dorm :P As for your question, I'd take a greenbanded any day, but if I can find a neon for around $10 I'd like to try and see if I have any success with it in this tank.

Quick update since not much happened. I got back to my dorm late so the lights were off and some of the corals closed up and I had to take the pics quickly so bear with me for this one haha

Birds nest growth. Usually more PE but this was taken at night

IMG_4234_zpsbfqshige.jpg

Zoas. Been having some trouble with them recently actually. The brown/blue ones started shriveling up and falling off (maybe getting stung by the duncan?) so I fragged half of it and tossed the dying part. A polyp of rastas closed up and never opened and it looked like some kind of fungus was on it so I fragged that one out too.. and one of my punk rockers seems to be pinching at the stem. It's also opaque whereas the other zoa stems are somewhat translucent. Anyone going through the same issues? Might just be me. The rest are fine though

IMG_4235_zpsaiybro6k.jpg

Anyways, here's a shot for October :)

IMG_4233_zpsm2mplf22.jpg

I've decided on a neon and hi-fin goby for this tank and will try to pick both up after winter break!

little tank is looking great!

hope school is going well too???

Cindy!!! :D you're back! Things have been busy but it's going well so far :) just stopped by your thread. how's the writing coming along?

Cindy!!! :D you're back! Things have been busy but it's going well so far :) just stopped by your thread. how's the writing coming along?

just turned in a near future thriller i hope

to sell and waiting on revision notes for my sequel!

thanks!!

just turned in a near future thriller i hope

to sell and waiting on revision notes for my sequel!

thanks!!

ahhh that's awesome! what's it called?

Intriguing ;) I'll have to keep an eye out for your name whenever I go to a bookstore now :D

alas, i'm too small game to be at BN. maybe at some

indie book stores, you can request my book i think into the

store, or get from online. :) thanks!! (WANT is the unsold novel. ha!)

alas, i'm too small game to be at BN. maybe at some

indie book stores, you can request my book i think into the

store, or get from online. :) thanks!! (WANT is the unsold novel. ha!)

It can happen :D

And that's pretty cool, I'll have to look around for a bookstore, I don't read much besides my textbooks these days :P

It can happen :D

And that's pretty cool, I'll have to look around for a bookstore, I don't read much besides my textbooks these days :P

yeah! i'd catch up on pleasure reading during the summers

as a student. no time during the school year!!

yeah! i'd catch up on pleasure reading during the summers

as a student. no time during the school year!!

Yeah no kidding, I'm swamped! Haha
  • 1 month later...

Hey everybody, tank's been doing fine but something popped up that I'm more than a little suspicious about:

20151119_135904_zpsh6mlbraj.jpg

It looks like a yellowish powder that just started growing on my Duncan coral's skeleton. Hoping someone here has seen this before and whether or not I should be wary? I've already tried scraping it off outside the tank followed with a few drops of H2O2 on the off chance it's an algae but it was back within hours.

Any help is appreciated!

hmm. i don't know. but i hope it isn't anything bad.

Yeah, the rate at which it regrows is a little concerning. I'm gonna try to continuously remove it manually to see if I can just brute force it away lol

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I know sponges don't sting but could they potentially spread over and smother the polyps? This one popped up overnight so that should put its growth rate into perspective haha

On the bright side, you can see a new polyp starting to bud :happy: First one in a loooong time.

I recall seeing elsewhere that it could be a fungus or infected tissue (here)

Is it possible to QT your Ducan until the issue is resolved?

Thanks so much! That sounds exactly like what I have. Unfortunately I've got nowhere to QT but I will try the H2O2 dip tomorrow if the growth is still there. Though perhaps the qtip swab will be a bit milder. I don't want to lose the colony :/

Update:

Turns out the H2O2 did the trick and found only this much of the yellow cotton growth on the Duncan today

20151120_160455_zpsdj1sw0xc.jpg

Part of the Duncan skeleton's color rubbed off when I was manually removing the growth the other day so I'm hoping it comes back and isn't anything serious.

20151120_160514_zpsjeomhpuu.jpg

Otherwise, the Duncan is very happy and hasn't changed its behavior since I found the growth so I'm hoping this little episode is over :lol:

To summarize what I did in case anyone runs into the same problem,

1. Irritated the coral to close it up, and took it out of the tank

2. Dabbed at the slime with a paper towel/qtip until it was wiped off

3. Filled a feeding syringe with 3% H2O2 and let a few drops run over where the growth was occurring.

4. Waited a minute or two, rinsed in fresh saltwater, and put it back.

5. Repeat if the growth becomes noticeable again.

I'll update if the solution isn't as long term as I expect it to be, haha, though it should also be noted that no adverse side effects from the growth were observed in the coral. As always, thanks for all the help :) It's been said countless times, but Nano-reef is a great resource!

Archived