ReefCleaners.org

A Dragon's Tale - My 1st Nano (update 04/26/14)

MrBrightside

(Update) Here are some recent pics...

image_zps81875037.jpg

image_zps7ffa094c.jpg

image_zpsc523b68a.jpg

Also, I'm not sure whether I want to use chemi-pure elite or purigen as my chemical filtration. Any advice?

Amazing rock work! I am not creative enough to aqua scape naturally. How did you select the rocks? Also, what are your tank dimensions?

12x12 but I believe the inside is a bit smaller than that. I just used the protective cardboard as a general outline of the tank and used small dead rock to put together, mostly flat and what I thought were the more natural looking ones. And one main piece which I bought at my LFS, to which I added two shelves.

I also did a lot of research before to find different scapes that I thought looked good.

And thank you Mr savage, are you related to randy?

post-81495-0-37833700-1378606851_thumb.jpg

12x12 but I believe the inside is a bit smaller than that. I just used the protective cardboard as a general outline of the tank and used small dead rock to put together, mostly flat and what I thought were the more natural looking ones. And one main piece which I bought at my LFS, to which I added two shelves.

I also did a lot of research before to find different scapes that I thought looked good.

And thank you Mr savage, are you related to randy?

Nope, not related to Randy or Adam (Myth Busters) either!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my golden boxer shrimp and orange serpent star, which if anyone knows what species or even genus lmk. Right now, I have some zoas, rhodactis, cyphastrea, echinophyllia, echinopora, and flower anemones...

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/Moises_Alcala/media/image_zps57331123.jpg.html'>image_zps57331123.jpg

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/Moises_Alcala/media/image_zps9c0930c8.jpg.html'>image_zps9c0930c8.jpg

• 6 months later...
MrBrightside

UPDATE

So everything is growing well after 7 months or so. I lost the orange serpent starfish to that weird disease that is killing many stars in the ocean and they can't figure out why. They start to disintegrate for no apparent reason.

Other than that I got a bad batch of ro/di about 2 months ago and I think silicates were introduced into the tank which fed some nuisance algae, one of which is red bubble algae.

Started to vacuum the sand every water change (once a week) a month ago and the sand is better.

Now for the red bubble algae (valonia sp.) I took out whatever rocks had patches on them and using a needle and syringe applied 3% h2o2 to the affected areas trying to scratch the surface of the algae with the needle. This was done 3 days ago. Some patches are gone some look like they will need a second application. There's a whole thread on this somewhere for anyone interested.

I will be updating with pics since I have some new additions and growth comparisons I hope to share. Off to find a decent camera. Suggestions?

• 3 months later...
MrBrightside

Quick update: Tank is still up and running. Next month makes a year. I will be updating with pictures then. Besides that I added some new corals, one of them is a monti cap at the very top, hoping that the lighting is good enough. Also, switched over to Instant Ocean Sea Salt two weeks ago after getting a few bad batches of NSW and already noticing an improvement in polyp extension and growth. Pics coming soon...

MrBrightside

Girraffe serpents are kick ass! I always like reference shots to get a feel for true size they always look much bigger in the pics.

She actually died but her disk was 1" across and her legs must have been more than 6 inches long.

Archived