SaltCritters.com

Gorgonian show off thread!

dixie reefer

jedimasterben

I've got two gorgs - one that I think is Muriceopsis flavida and one Pterogorgia guadalupensis.

The P. guadalupensis is doing swell - full polyp extension pretty much at all times, gets loads of flow, and tons of light (around 350 PAR).

The M flavida I cannot for the life of me keep dinoflagellates off of it. It still has some polyp extension throughout the day, but it constantly is covered, despite being a mere 10" away from an MP40. If I do not brush the flesh off every day, tissue recession become rampant. I've already had to trim almost 50% of it away since I got it, makes me sad. These dinoflagellates just do not quit, and I wouldn't wish them upon anyone! :(

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a pic of my photo-gorg. Nothin super special, but it is crazy easy to take care of. I have had it for 4+ yrs now from a tiny little twiglet to what it is now (I have trimmed it a few times as well)..... Mine doesn't really like HIGH flow, I had it in a spot in my 180 where 11,000 gph came crashing together and it wasn't ever really happy, now I have it in moderate flow (~26" from my mp40 at that peaks @100% on reef crest) and it is the happiest and grown the most in the time I have had it, also PE (not evident in the photo tho, as the lights came on not long before this pic) is the best I have ever seen on it in this moderate flow/ light location.

Now for the actual pic:

DSCN2394_zps89239089.jpg

Is this a Grube's Gorgonian?

Here is one of my Grube's gorgonian from ORA in my 40B from a few months back - even larger now (may have to cut it back)...

temporary-68.jpg

Here is an old one of my 29g from about 3 years back (I think) with a pair of Par38's over it...

100_1387.jpg

Here is one from tonight, with several different species of gorgonians, 5 royal grammas, a pair of cherub angels, and one big coral banded shrimp, now lit by three Par38's...

temporary-89.jpg

Stunning! I love this tank! There should be more gorgonian dominated tanks like this. They are so pretty :) I can't wait until my little Grube's gets the size of yours!

Yes, that's it. That's always my problem-I can find a photo, but no name.

Yours are so pretty Gena, do you ever frag to sell?

I believe its a Diodogorgia nodulifera aka yellow finger gorgonian. KP Aquatics has some for sale right now if this is the right one:

http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=186

Is this a Grube's Gorgonian?

I honestly have no idea, I got it from a local and it has been around here for probably 10 yrs.... that and that its photosynthetic is all I know about it really lol

I honestly have no idea, I got it from a local and it has been around here for probably 10 yrs.... that and that its photosynthetic is all I know about it really lol

Well its pretty whatever it is! :)

You seem to have some color-scheming going on between the tanks...both are lovely (I like the old 10 gallon too!) :wub:

You should do a build thread for the gorg tank, I'd love to see more photos!

A little late to do a build thread as it has been going in one form or another for almost seven years now, but thank you for the compliments... :)

I may add some more photos if I can get around to it - maybe tomorrow... ;)

Oh, and no color-scheming - just poor photography on my part... :(

Stunning! I love this tank! There should be more gorgonian dominated tanks like this. They are so pretty :) I can't wait until my little Grube's gets the size of yours!

Thank you - the Grube's in my 40B is quite a bit bigger now - I will see if I can get a newer shot of it, plus I have another in my 15g column tank that has gotten quite big as well - pics tomorrow maybe... :happy:

Does anybody know more about (even just what it's called would be great) the gorg that has a bright orange base and white polyps? I'm in love, but don't know diddly-squat about it to find it, and even if I did, don't want something too hard for my first gorgonian...

Thank you :)

Is this what you are talking about? The place I found the photo didn't identify it, unfortunately.

orange-gorgonian-white-polyps-jj-0640-11

It's not what I was thinking of. The "gorg" I was thinking of is actually a type of sponge, I believe, so nevermind my thoughts on it above :lol:.

So I've seen this in another member's tank, and since it was an NPS tank, I think it's non-photosynthetic. In case anyone else was wondering :)

Purple plume (Muriceopsis flavida)

IMG_5178Edit.jpg

This is really pretty :wub: . Is it photosynthetic?

Yeah...seems the brightly colored exotic ones are always NPS.

So I've seen this in another member's tank, and since it was an NPS tank, I think it's non-photosynthetic. In case anyone else was wondering :)

Forgot to quote you. :)

Does anyone have experience with swiftia exerta? Beautiful, but I'm not sure I could meet it's requirements.

I think ZephNYC has some of it IIRC.

I've got two gorgs - one that I think is Muriceopsis flavida and one Pterogorgia guadalupensis.

The P. guadalupensis is doing swell - full polyp extension pretty much at all times, gets loads of flow, and tons of light (around 350 PAR).

The M flavida I cannot for the life of me keep dinoflagellates off of it. It still has some polyp extension throughout the day, but it constantly is covered, despite being a mere 10" away from an MP40. If I do not brush the flesh off every day, tissue recession become rampant. I've already had to trim almost 50% of it away since I got it, makes me sad. These dinoflagellates just do not quit, and I wouldn't wish them upon anyone! :(

Have you tried doing a 2-3 day blackout?

jedimasterben

Have you tried doing a 2-3 day blackout?

I've done a few one day blackouts, but been scared to do more because of my clams (both of which are deceased as of yesterday). And a new skimmer. And absolutely insane amounts of hydrogen peroxide (up to 200mL twice daily). And no feeding of anything for weeks. And a full measuring cup of Phosguard. And Dr. Tim's 'Waste Away' and 'Eco-Balance', multiple (expensive) rounds of each.

I started up with peroxide again yesterday, around 50mL several times daily (as much as I can remember). For the last dose I did, I turned off all the pumps and sprayed the peroxide only on the gorgonian with the issue, as the dinos have receded to only the gorg and one or two other locations during the day (at night, dinos are gone). Came back from town an hour later and the gorgonian had some polyp extension, despite still being covered in bubbles from the H2O2 lol. I think I'm going to keep up this routine (it seems to work better than one large dose daily) and see where it gets me. Wish me luck!

I joined the club tonight!

IMG_2197_zps3880ac67.jpg

Small frag to make sure I can sustain them, and then I'm planning to go back for more :D

It was sold as 'purple gorgonian', can anyone help me out with a scientific name? I'd love to look up specific care, although I know it's photosynthetic ;)

Looks like a Psuedopterogorgia sp. maybe - any chance you can get a better shot of it?

Wow amazing gorgs from all Y'all clap2.gif Didn't realize so many people kept them on here! Keep the pics coming peeps :D

Here's some of my recent ones

20131102_145157_zps2fd98e8c.jpg

20131102_145228_zps7a44ee16.jpg

20131102_145217_zps72bce97c.jpg

20131102_145319_zps5a749301.jpg

20131102_130115_zps50930d2c.jpg

20131102_145246_zpsfcaa1586.jpg

f90152c1-a185-49be-bc13-d4477a54ec66_zps

P1330950_zps0912bb2b.jpg

I treat myself with 3 gorgs last week and need some quick breakdown on care from those more experienced with these guys. Water parameters, light intensity/duration and fav food you treat them with. Thank you :)

Ahhhh... I've had bad luck with gorgs, but they are among my favorites. So beautiful!

Bummer, most of them need to fed phytoplankton on the regular, but other than that, they have been one of the hardiest corals for me thus far. Maybe you should grab another and give another shot :)

I treat myself with 3 gorgs last week and need some quick breakdown on care from those more experienced with these guys. Water parameters, light intensity/duration and fav food you treat them with. Thank you :)

Awesome, congrats on the new gorgs! Now we just need pictures :D

I have mine in good to moderate flow, enough to keep algae from growing on it but low enough so the current dosent give a beating.

All of mine seem to be pretty tolerant of different lighting conditions, they seem to adjust imo. But they need good flow.

As for feeding, this is what i feed mine

P1330974_zpsd041cf4d.jpg

This being the 2-3 times a week treat

P1330979_zps0f915ba7.jpg

The finger gorgs especially love this more substantial food

Archived