ReefCleaners.org

Gorgonian show off thread!

dixie reefer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow amazing you two! I wish I could share, but my LFS only carries boring brown ones...

Not to hijack, but do Gorgs 'color up' like other corals do, or generally always maintain their colors?

Wow amazing you two! I wish I could share, but my LFS only carries boring brown ones...

Not to hijack, but do Gorgs 'color up' like other corals do, or generally always maintain their colors?

There are lots of online sites you can get them from! Personally i don't shop online because shipping is so expensive. It would be worth it if you got several critters.

Here's my seahorse tank that's full of photosynthetic gorgonians.

IMG_3997Edit.jpg

That tank is stunning!

Great pictures everyone!

llama roadkill

Not trying to hijack, but I would love to post a gorg on here one day if I get one. Is there any special care involved with the photosynthetic ones? I wouldn't even consider the NFS ones.

thesmallerthebetter

Not trying to hijack, but I would love to post a gorg on here one day if I get one. Is there any special care involved with the photosynthetic ones? I wouldn't even consider the NFS ones.

it is my understanding bthat even photosynthetic gorgs are only partially supported by photosynthesis and still prefer/require some form of supplemental feeding to maintain their condition.

That tank is stunning! Great pictures everyone!

Thank you! :)

All of my gorgonians are photosynthetic and they seem super easy to care for. Some of them were in my main tank for a couple months and they did very well in there without any supplemental feeding. In the seahorse tank I feed phytofeast every other day for the sponges, so I'm sure the gorgonians get some, but I don't think they have to be fed. In a regular reef tank there are usually plenty of nutrients in the water for them anyway and they do great if they have enough light. Just remember to put them in high flow. They definitely like high flow.

Thanks felicia

Yellow sea whip polyps

8580311827_fdfdd9c1ae_c.jpg

This is stunning! I have a big yellow sea whip with white polyps in the seahorse tank. Wish I had a camera that could take a photo of it like this!

Here's are my seahorses hanging out in my yellow sea whip.

IMG_3966.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_3974.jpg.html'>IMG_3974.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_3969.jpg.html'>IMG_3969.jpg

This is stunning! I have a big yellow sea whip with white polyps in the seahorse tank. Wish I had a camera that could take a photo of it like this!

Thanks! That is one awesome looking pony. Great job on creating such a beautiful environment

Knobby sea rod

8478074146_9db16697f9_c.jpg

Sorry for off topic question but could you recommend those for beginner? If so, any particular one? Thanks and amazing looking tanks & pics :)

The photosynthetic kind are super easy and would be great for a beginner. Just stay away from the non-photosynthetic (NPS) ones as a beginner. KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net) has a great selection of easy photosynthetic gorgonians.

The photosynthetic kind are super easy and would be great for a beginner. Just stay away from the non-photosynthetic (NPS) ones as a beginner. KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.net) has a great selection of easy photosynthetic gorgonians.

Thanks flsvedlund

I'll def look into it and try some in a very near future. I won't bug ya with details and light/flow requirements as it is probably avail with a little research. again, awesome looking gorgs

Cheers

Thanks flsvedlund I'll def look into it and try some in a very near future. I won't bug ya with details and light/flow requirements as it is probably avail with a little research. again, awesome looking gorgs Cheers

I put mine in moderate to high lighting. They also need high flow because they shed their "skin" every so often and they need high flow in order for it to get blown off. :)

There is plenty of flow to blow their skirts off in my nano tank. Light should be adequate (about 4watts per gallon - in shallow nano setup). But are there any corals I should keep away from gorges? I am a little concern with my toadstool, candy cane and colt corals. Those corals will be withing few inches of it. If it is a concern I'll probably wait a bit till my 26g is cycled and ready. Thanks again ;)

There is plenty of flow to blow their skirts off in my nano tank. Light should be adequate (about 4watts per gallon - in shallow nano setup). But are there any corals I should keep away from gorges? I am a little concern with my toadstool, candy cane and colt corals. Those corals will be withing few inches of it. If it is a concern I'll probably wait a bit till my 26g is cycled and ready. Thanks again ;)

The toadstool is totally fine. It doesn't sting anything. I'm not positive about the candy cane but I believe the colt coral should be fine near it.

The toadstool is totally fine. It doesn't sting anything. I'm not positive about the candy cane but I believe the colt coral should be fine near it.

Candy cane would be farther away and you are right colt is almost harmless but I wasn't sure about toadstool. And thanks for the link. Cool and inexpensive selection of corals, fish and inverts. :)

Here's my photosynthetic gorg -- yeah, it's just one of the plain brown ones! But it is hugely branched, fluffy all the time (took all of 15 minutes to adjust to life in my tank), and makes me want to hang ornaments on it! (I'm thinking of getting a small yellow one from KP Aquatics, but not certain that I want to pay the shipping. I have purchased from them before, and the whole experience was excellent; all livestock survived transport; KP even threw in an extra lettuce green sea slug!)

gorg1.jpg

Candy cane would be farther away and you are right colt is almost harmless but I wasn't sure about toadstool. And thanks for the link. Cool and inexpensive selection of corals, fish and inverts. :)

As you can see in my post above, my photosyn gorg sits right atop a candy cane, a bunch of zoas, and a baby toadstool (which is totally hidden by the branches -- I need to move that!). It's been in contact with the finger leather, too, and thus far, no one shows any sign of damage. Gorgs are awesome -- they add such a cool, vertical, architectural vibe to a tank!

A better picture of mine. 0908132114_zps1f6fc11e.jpg

Is this a Photosynthetic? It's awesome! I saw one at my LFS and was hesitant because I wasn't sure if it was Photo. If it is, I may go buy it.

Here is my Purple Ribbon. Sheds once a week. Seems healthy and has new growth. I have had it for 2 months now. I want to find a better area of the tank for it so it's not against the glass.

post-81273-0-83845100-1378999402_thumb.jpg

If it is a red finger gorg like I think it is, then it is not photosynthetic. It almost always has its polyps extended. I mix in frozen rotifers with the mysis i feed my seahorse. I feed her 3x a day so there is a good steady supply of food going to the gorg. I've had it almost two weeks and seems to be enjoying tank life so far.

Archived