SaltCritters.com

75g SPS build.

CrazyEyes

I love getting packages in the mail. Recieved the P/S and the Coralux LDD-H boards. Tomorrow the heatsinks. Rebel cyans and Typhon controller will be here and god knows when the Bxra's will be in since the molex connectors are on back order. Still have to order the Luxeon M's, Minnie reflectors, Xp-e blues/optics, 8 LDD drivers, and the HV LEDs and then I should be ready to get to building this beautiful bright bastard.

IMG_0690_zps8abd9db1.jpg

IMG_0691_zpsaceb8500.jpg

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because they probably do.

Bridgelux, like many other companies in the LED world, sell their chips to other manufacturers. Philips and Cree do this also. Now, Bridgelux only has blue and green chips for sale, that they publicly advertise anyway. As a result, unless the LED is royal blue, green, or white, then it's not Bridgelux. I'm pretty sure that Bridgelux is no longer selling green chips, as they don't actually use them in their own products. The point is really, Bridgelux as a company isn't actually making the packaged LEDs used in these products.

While the white LEDs would use Bridgelux royal blue chips, the phosphor absolutely is not a Bridgelux formulation.

An LED is only as good as the way it was assembled. While these LEDs may use a good chip at their core, how it's mounted to the package, the package design, the primary optic design, and in the case of white LEDs, the phosphor mix that is applied can all affect the output of the LED. Good core or not, it's very easy to make a crappy LED out of good parts.

It's really just a brand name recognition game at this point. Case in point was when Reefbrite came out with their LED strip lights a few years back. They were posting all over the place that they were using Cree LEDs, when in fact they were using Edison LEDs that happened to use a Cree chip. I know this for a fact because we (Nanocustoms at the time) were using the same 6 LED strips from Edison as Reefbrite was.

:-) heatsinks came in. The bxra's, reflectors, controller and Rebel cyans will be in tomorrow. I was going to use the Makers heatsinks but these are going to be in an enclosure anyways so I figured it'd be dumb to pay that much for the Makers if they're not going to be visable. HeatsinkUsa is a great company to deal with. These got here in 2 days. These also feel better than the 6x10 heatsinks from Rapid.

IMG_0693_zps0e4a7e09.jpg

IMG_0692_zpsbf4f82cc.jpg

Boredom struck me today, picked up some 1x5's and made and enclosure for the heatsinks. I was going to build it from acrylic but, this was much cheaper. The heatsinks sit on 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle. I'm just going to leave them unsecured so I can slide the heatsinks around if need be.

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/IMG_0695_zps3dea8148.jpg.html'>IMG_0695_zps3dea8148.jpg

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/IMG_0696_zpsd41907bf.jpg.html'>IMG_0696_zpsd41907bf.jpg

The whole light is going to be

x4 bxra 950's

x8 Luxeon M Rb

x8 Cree Xp-e blue

x6 Rebel cyan

x16 Exotic HV

Split up between the two heatsinks. Both heatsinks will be fan cooled, do you think there is not enough heat sink surface for cooling?

Yeah whenever the LEDs are on the fans will be running. I'm assuming the fans can be too small but not too big, because I've got two 140mm case fans for this thing.

That's basically what I thought. I am more than likely going to have them just above the middle of each heatsink, which is basically where the higher watt leds will be anyways and I planned on setting them up in the pull configuration. Is there an advantage to push or pull? Or is it like you just said, aslong as there is airflow?

When I first bought this tank I originally thought about just hanging two reefbreeder value lights over it(D120s) and nothing against them but, I am so goddamn glad I went this route. Someone said I was wasting my time and should have bought radions, I just don't see his reasoning.

Thanks man, still a laundry list of stuff to do/buy but I think it'll be well worth the wait. I first saw this type of setup about 2 months after I finished my previous led light and I wanted to kick myself in the face. This is just the lighting part of the tank that needs to be done. I still have to sand,prep and paint the stand. Clean the actual tank for the last time, have another hole drilled, start the plumbing, order a bigger return and powerhead and I'm sure quite a few other things I'm forgetting.

Looks great. I am definitely following along. I am working on a 75/90g setup (can't decide which lol) and I want to go the bridgelux route. I currently have a Cree NW/RB fixture over my cube and want to go full spectrum this time. I have a bunch of LDD drivers, the LDD boards and the pieces to build a Jarduino. I just need to plan out the LEDs now.

Unfortunately the Bridgelux chips are apparently EOL and will be more difficult to get from here on out (at least the 950, the rest there are still a bunch of out there). I wonder if that means something better is coming soon. :o

The 950-00 wasn't in stock anywhere, the 950-03 was, I asked the guy at Neward about the 00 and he said he thinks Bridgelux is dumping the 00 soon. I believe that's what he said, maybe someone can confirm that. Giga I remember seeing the one you used, I can't recalled the exact part number but I remember looking at it and having my mind blown.

The 950-00 wasn't in stock anywhere, the 950-03 was, I asked the guy at Neward about the 00 and he said he thinks Bridgelux is dumping the 00 soon. I believe that's what he said, maybe someone can confirm that. Giga I remember seeing the one you used, I can't recalled the exact part number but I remember looking at it and having my mind blown.

and that was some of the older leds- I got newer stuff for my build

Archived