ReefCleaners.org

75g SPS build.

CrazyEyes

Yeah, I'm so glad Ben mentioned that P/S it really does save almost $70 in the P/S. I'm also glad he mentioned using the xp-e blues and rebel cyans instead of the OCW's. Finally figured it all and I think I'm all set to start ordering things. Final critiques please.

Channel 1 - 4 Bxra 950's (2 LDD-1000's)
Channel 2 - 8 Luxeon M 12w RB/8 Xp-e blues (3 LDD-1000's)
Channel 3 - 4 Rebel cyans (1 LDD-1000)
Channel 4 - 16 Exotic Hyper violets (1 LDD-700)
Powered by a 48v/7.3A/350w P/S. Dimming with be performed by a Typhon controller from Steves.
And using 1 x5 LDD-H board(Channels 1 and 2) and 1 x3 LDD-H board(Channels 3 and 4).

Big thanks to Ben, you've helped greatly.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm so glad Ben mentioned that P/S it really does save almost $70 in the P/S. I'm also glad he mentioned using the xp-e blues and rebel cyans instead of the OCW's. Finally figured it all and I think I'm all set to start ordering things. Final critiques please.

Powered by a 48v/7.3A/350w P/S. Dimming with be performed by a Typhon controller from Steves.
And using 1 x5 LDD-H board(Channels 1 and 2) and 1 x3 LDD-H board(Channels 3 and 4).

Cost?

The only bummer about this setup is that I will be ordering 5-6 different places. I'm sure if everything was at one place it would reduce the price a small amount. Still going to look around and try to save as much as possible but with shipping on everything it came out to just under $540 and I know there will be misc stuff I need to buy, i.e terminal blocks for the Pcb's, wire, etc but overall the price for a light like this is amazing when you really think about how much light you're getting.

Newark
x4 BXRA 950's w/ Ledil Brooke reflectors $65
StevesLeds
x8 Luxeon M RB's w/Ledil Minnie reflectors 4 rebel cyans, Typhon controller= $182.39
RapidLed
2 6X10 heatsink, 8 Xp-e blues w/optics $83
LedGroupBuy
8 LDD-driver, 16 HV LEDs- $140
Ebay
P/S $37.00
COralux
1 5up LDD-board, 1 3up LDD-board- $30
jedimasterben

Also, if I ran the 8 M royal blues and the 8 Xp-e blues on one channel all in series I would probably need 3 drivers for that string right?

Four M fill up an LDD, you cannot add anything else to those drivers. They'll need their own driver, but the dimming pins can be linked.

That's the one!

No problem, good luck!

What about heatsink?

I'm using two 6x10 heatsinks from Rapid which will be fan cooled.

Four M fill up an LDD, you cannot add anything else to those drivers. They'll need their own driver, but the dimming pins can be linked.

Right, that's what I meant, 4 M's per driver then the 8 Xp-e's on the other driver but them all on the same channel on the Typhon.

jedimasterben

Right, that's what I meant, 4 M's per driver then the 8 Xp-e's on the other driver but them all on the same channel on the Typhon.

Ok, gotcha. That's exactly what I'm doing :)

Ok, gotcha. That's exactly what I'm doing :)

This whole light is being built because of the thread you made awhile back. Back when I had the 40B the light was just fine so I couldn't justify upgrading, now that a bigger tank is in the works I have to build a light that I won't want to tear apart in a few months.

Now my next question to myself is, do I want to split the LEDs up over 2 6x10 heatsinks or 4.

Tank+stand= 5 feet. The top of my light rack is 7 feet. Definitely glad I didn't cut them down anymore. I honestly don't know a height to hang these though. All the reflectors/optics are 60° except the bxra which will be 50° and the M which will be 63°, any suggestions? I was thinking for about 16" above the water for a 48x18x22 tank.

NirvanaandTool

I'm thinking the same heatsinks - the Rapid 6x10. Cost seems right.

Honestly that cost including the controller isnt too bad IMO. Ordering from 6 different places does suck though.

I'm thinking maybe 10-12 HV on my build. I'm not looking to grow SPS on the sandbed like Ben is :P . More going for a mixed reef with SPS on the upper rocks. I think I'll follow that 8 XP-E Blue/4 Cyan Rebel ES guideline though. What optics are you planning for the Blue and Cyan Crazyeyes?

My light will be dimmed by a Reef Angel though- planning on getting a PWM expansion that way I can dim every channel individually. So much customization!

I'm a little bit away from ordering my lights though. I've still got a lot of prep work on my tank and need to build a canopy before I get around to building a light.

I'm thinking the same heatsinks - the Rapid 6x10. Cost seems right.

Honestly that cost including the controller isnt too bad IMO. Ordering from 6 different places does suck though.

I'm thinking maybe 10-12 HV on my build. I'm not looking to grow SPS on the sandbed like Ben is :P . More going for a mixed reef with SPS on the upper rocks. I think I'll follow that 8 XP-E Blue/4 Cyan Rebel ES guideline though. What optics are you planning for the Blue and Cyan Crazyeyes?

My light will be dimmed by a Reef Angel though- planning on getting a PWM expansion that way I can dim every channel individually. So much customization!

I'm a little bit away from ordering my lights though. I've still got a lot of prep work on my tank and need to build a canopy before I get around to building a light.

I'm actually going to not anything from Rapid anymore. I'm going to order 5.886x10 heatsinks and Cree Xp-e's from Ledgroupbuy since anything over $200 is free shipping plus that's on less place I have to order from. I'm actually going with 60° optics on all the 20mm stars since the bxra reflectors are 50° and the Luxeon M reflectors are 64°.I just ordered the P/s and should be ordering the Bxra's and the LDD boards today.

Quick question, I'm about to order the Bxra 950's and Ledil brooke reflectors, do I need the molex connectors to connect the reflector to the chips or can I use that epoxy they sell to attach optics to leds? If I need I need the molex is there any specific one?

jedimasterben

You can use silicone to attach them. If you use the Molex connectors, you'll need to drill and tap your heatsink, as the Molex is what holds down the BXRA.

There is also two models of the Brooke - one that you use with the Molex and one that has an adhesive to stick to the BXRA. The adhesive one is model CA11183, and the Molex connector model is C11508.

These Molex connectors are not easy to come buy. DigiKey is out, Newark is Mouser has a 14 week wait. Sheesh. So I need to either, wait 14 weeks, buy 9 from Newark, find an overseas supplier or find a private seller. You won't happen to have 4 you'd be able to sell would you?

And the bxra-950 HAS to be secured onto the heatsink with the Molex connector, it can't be secured with thermal epoxy like other LEDs?

Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot. They can be secured with thermal epoxy but you can't use the brooke that connects with the molex. I think I'll just use the Brooke (CA11183) and use thermal epoxy instead of waiting for the Molex connectors to become available,

I love ordering stuff. Ordered so far

x4 - BXRA-40E0950-B-03's

x4 - Ledil Brooke reflectors (molex type)

x4 - Molex holders (won't even ship until Oct 6th)

x2 - 5.886x10 heatsinks from HeatsinkUsa

x1 - 48v/7.3A/350w P/S

x2 - x4 LDD-H Pcb's.

Still so much to order.

NirvanaandTool

You can use silicone to attach them. If you use the Molex connectors, you'll need to drill and tap your heatsink, as the Molex is what holds down the BXRA.

There is also two models of the Brooke - one that you use with the Molex and one that has an adhesive to stick to the BXRA. The adhesive one is model CA11183, and the Molex connector model is C11508.

Oh good to know. I'll have to remember that for when I order.

I love ordering stuff. Ordered so far

x4 - BXRA-40E0950-B-03's

x4 - Ledil Brooke reflectors (molex type)

x4 - Molex holders (won't even ship until Oct 6th)

x2 - 5.886x10 heatsinks from HeatsinkUsa

x1 - 48v/7.3A/350w P/S

x2 - x4 LDD-H Pcb's.

Still so much to order.

Nice! Glad to see you getting stuff ordered for your build.

Are you going to drill/tap the heatsinks then to use the Molex holders?

Yeah, my friend has a drill press so I think I may drill/tap the whole heatsink. Couple things, I'm building a hanging canopy for the heatsinks, not a full canopy with a top just something to mount the heatsinks in. A buddy of mine gave me two 140mm case fans, they're damn near brand new. Just wondering if I should set the fans up as a push or pull. Both ways seem like they would work but I was unsure which way might be better.

jedimasterben

I wouldn't drill and tap the whole thing - it's labor intensive and takes a lot of time, plus if you want to change where things are at, you have to drill/tap it again, etc.

I actually really like my canopy and miss it - it looks a lot better than the Makers heatsinks do, to be honest. Plus, I can mount everything inside it and basically only have one power wire going out of it! I call that a win!

Plus, I may be adding some :ninja: into it, stay tuned for more on that.

I found this I think here on Nano, I thnk it looks really good. This one is made from acrylic which I'm not spending the money on. Not when I can buy nice wood from HD or Lowes and just put a nice finish on it. I'm just going to make the same thing out of wood and put some 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle inside for the heatsinks to sit on and allow me to move the heatsinks around if need be. http://s27.photobucket.com/user/DrftNme/media/DSC_1107_zpsa52b6177.jpg.html'>DSC_1107_zpsa52b6177.jpg

Damn that looks really good man. Hopefully the one I put together looks good. Now it's just a waiting for everything to come in all at different times.

jedimasterben

Yeah, i was pretty proud of it, but my grandma is the one that deserves the most credit lol. Now if only i can get my tank too start looking like that again (or better)!

Archived