ReefCleaners.org

75g SPS build.

CrazyEyes

Tried to order 4 of these today from Newark and the minimum quanity is 100. Was just curious where/how some of you all were ordering less than this. Here is the Newark part no. 73T6206. Or maybe some other suggestions to other chips that are similar. Thanks y'all.

Edit: This is in regard to the BRIDGELUX - BXRA-40E0950-B-00. I found a couple that were fairly similar, one was a BXRA-40E0950-B-03 (Newark part no. 05W7386). Everything looks similar just not sure why the original one ends in 00 and the other in 03.

Edit: since I'll just make this the actual tank build instead of just questions regarding the actual LEDs I changed the title and will upload pictures of the actual build itself. Thanks for following along.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The -00 versus the -03 is just a bin code. One has tighter binning control over the other. Really either will be fine, as they will still be within +/- 300K of the target color temperature.

From the looks of it they are out of stock on the -00 part number ones. The -03 are in stock though. Seems to be a bug on their site that if its out of stock it defaults to 100.

Thanks Evil. That's actually exactly what the guy from Bridgelux just told me too. I was going to get the 1350's but I highly doubt I'd need that much power. Also spoke to Newark about why you'd have to order 100 minimum. He said aslong as they have the product in their warehouse you can order any minimum but, in order for you to order something that isn't in their warehouse you have to order the manufacturers minimum which in this case for the 00 is 100. Ohwell, the 03's are only a couple bucks more.

And ofcourse the lenina reflector is out of stock at Newark lol.

How many of you think hyper or true violets are crucial to use? I'm still up in there air whether I not I should add them. SPS tank. Thanks.

If so, how many to a standard 75g.

Not crucial, but useful. I had a mix of 1:1 RB:NW over my 5g, but my clam did not like it even with 36w on full blast. When I switched to a setup with 3 420nm, 3 RB, 2 OCW, and 1 NW, dimmed to about 70%, the corals were much more happy and my clam is okay.

How many of you think hyper or true violets are crucial to use? I'm still up in there air whether I not I should add them. SPS tank. Thanks.

Well there's going to be

- 4 Bridgelux Bxra 950's

- 8 Luxeon M 12w royal blues

- 12 OCW

I know that will be enough light for a 75g SPS tank. But I'm a lunatic and like to go overboard so that's why I was thinking of adding the hyper violets.

jedimasterben

I have 28x of them over my 80 (48" x 24" x 16"). The lights are 16" off the top of the tank. At 28" away from the light, they put out around 200 PAR by themselves. For a typical reef setup, you'll want around 100-150 PAR on your sandbed. My light is WAY overbuilt lol

I've been waiting for you to reply lol. Our tanks are somewhat similar, mine is deeper but not as wide. I was thinking if I add any I'd add 16 HV's so that would make the final LED setup.

4 - Bxra 950's

8 -Luxeon M 12w RB's

12 - OCW's

16 -HV's

Should be well more than enough. But goddamn that 500w P/S from LED group buy is pricey. Ohwell, nothing in this hobby is suppose to be cheap. Any thoughts on that list of LEDs Ben? Look good or should I add/remove anything?

jedimasterben

I've been waiting for you to reply lol. Our tanks are somewhat similar, mine is deeper but not as wide. I was thinking if I add any I'd add 16 HV's so that would make the final LED setup.

4 - Bxra 950's

8 -Luxeon M 12w RB's

12 - OCW's

16 -HV's

Should be well more than enough. But goddamn that 500w P/S from LED group buy is pricey. Ohwell, nothing in this hobby is suppose to be cheap. Any thoughts on that list of LEDs Ben? Look good or should I add/remove anything?

Ditch the OCW, use 8x blue XP-E and four cyan Rebels.

For the 500w PSU (48v 10.3A), I got a 350w (48v 7.3A) supply on eBay from an American-based seller for like $38 shipped. I'm firewalled or I'd link you. I have one of those powering my entire system now, and it is about the same as what you have. the four BXRA are in two parallel strings of two on one 1000mA LDD, the 12x RB M are on three 700mA LDD, cyan and blue are on their own 1000mA LDD, and the violet are on two 700mA LDD. Totals to around 6.5A.

I'll be taking some LEDs off and running what's left at a higher current (basically will match yours very closely).

NirvanaandTool

For the 500w PSU (48v 10.3A), I got a 350w (48v 7.3A) supply on eBay from an American-based seller for like $38 shipped. I'm firewalled or I'd link you. I have one of those powering my entire system now, and it is about the same as what you have. the four BXRA are in two parallel strings of two on one 1000mA LDD, the 12x RB M are on three 700mA LDD, cyan and blue are on their own 1000mA LDD, and the violet are on two 700mA LDD. Totals to around 6.5A.

I'll be taking some LEDs off and running what's left at a higher current (basically will match yours very closely).

Changed your plans to include Blue XP-E instead of the Blue Rebels?

I'm planning on something similar for my 90 whenever I get around to it. 4 950's with 8 Lux M RB's. Up in the air about the B/CY/HV numbers though. Looking forward to seeing your build Crazyeyes!

jedimasterben

Yeah, the blue Rebels are leaning on the cyan side right now. When it's just them on, they look blue - but have the royal blue on and you can immediately tell that they have a green tint to them.

Alright thanks again Ben. Hey when you get a chance can you send me the link to the P/S you're using. Here is what I got, just a few adjustments from your suggestions. Now since both the xp-e blues and rebels cyans run at 1A max and them together have a forward voltage of just over 42v I know I can run both those colors on an LDD but, I'm trying to figure out how it'll look with both those colors mixed together.

Channel 1 - 4 Bxra 950's (2 LDD-1000's)
Channel 2 - 8 Luxeon M 12w RB (2 LDD-1000's)
Channel 3 - 8 Xp-e blues/4 Rebel cyans (1 LDD-1000)
Channel 4 - 16 Exotic Hyper violets (1 LDD-700)

Edit: I just reread you post again sorry, I just noticed you're running the bxra's in parallel. Goddamn I am seriously dyslexic.

Oh I know a good mix of Rb and Nw looks really good and is usually the route people go I just wanted to go for a more wide spectrum.

Maybe this is a stupid question. If you're able to run 4 bxra's in 2 parallel strings on a single LDD would it be possible to run 8 Luxeon M's in 2 parallel strings on a single LDD? I only ask because the 4 bxra's put out I think 88 forward volts 1A and 8 Luxeon M's put out 88 forward volts at 0.7A. Or should I really just stick to 2 LDD's for the Luxeons? Also, I think I found that P/S you mentioned, $37 shipped, sounds good to me.

jedimasterben

Alright thanks again Ben. Hey when you get a chance can you send me the link to the P/S you're using. Here is what I got, just a few adjustments from your suggestions. Now since both the xp-e blues and rebels cyans run at 1A max and them together have a forward voltage of just over 42v I know I can run both those colors on an LDD but, I'm trying to figure out how it'll look with both those colors mixed together.

Channel 1 - 4 Bxra 950's (2 LDD-1000's)
Channel 2 - 8 Luxeon M 12w RB (2 LDD-1000's)
Channel 3 - 8 Xp-e blues/4 Rebel cyans (1 LDD-1000)
Channel 4 - 16 Exotic Hyper violets (1 LDD-700)

Edit: I just reread you post again sorry, I just noticed you're running the bxra's in parallel. Goddamn I am seriously dyslexic.

I would not run the separate colors on the same driver (or dimming channel). You can dim the blue and royal blue on the same channel (as they'll be in the 'golden' 4:1 ratio essentially), but leave the cyan separate.

Maybe this is a stupid question. If you're able to run 4 bxra's in 2 parallel strings on a single LDD would it be possible to run 8 Luxeon M's in 2 parallel strings on a single LDD? I only ask because the 4 bxra's put out I think 88 forward volts 1A and 8 Luxeon M's put out 88 forward volts at 0.7A. Or should I really just stick to 2 LDD's for the Luxeons? Also, I think I found that P/S you mentioned, $37 shipped, sounds good to me.

Voltage is kept separately on parallel strings. Each string is treated like it's on its own driver, so each pair of BXRA would tell the driver ~44v at maximum current (which on a 1000mA driver is 500mA per string). You can run the M like that, as well, and wouldn't have any issues, but remember the current is divided by half if you use two parallel strings - on a 700mA driver, that puts each string at ~350mA.

Please excuse this, migraine is killing me today anyways. Would it be okay to run 8 M's in one parallel string on a single LDD? Maybe I'll stick with the original plan of running the 2 strings of 4 M's in series on two LDD's.

jedimasterben

You can, but remember that one string on a driver will run at the driver's full current - two parallel strings will run at half the current on each string, so your output will be cut by around 40-45%.

Makes sense, so by running 8 M's in one parallel string on a single LDD-1000 you're cutting the current in half. So basically 8 M's becomes just the same as if I was running 4 M's at full power in series? I guess I can see why that would make sense, I'd rather have 8 M's running at just over 50% instead of 4 maxed out. I'll probably run all the bxra's on one driver in two parallel strings but I think I'll run the M's in two strings of 4 in series across two drivers.

Also, if I ran the 8 M royal blues and the 8 Xp-e blues on one channel all in series I would probably need 3 drivers for that string right?

This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-DC-7-3A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-Top-Quality-/181180855785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2f3875e9

48V 7.3 AMP 350W Max Power Supply by AGT (A+ GRADE)

• AC input range selectable by switch 110-120 or 220/240
  • Protections: Short circuit / Overload / Over voltage
  • Forced air cooling by built-in DC fan
  • PWM control and regulated
  • Built-in cooling Fan ON-OFF control
  • 100% full load burn-in test
  • Fixed switching frequency at 25KHz
  • High quality product shipped from USA - Not From China that can get damaged! Support your country!

Changed your plans to include Blue XP-E instead of the Blue Rebels?

I'm planning on something similar for my 90 whenever I get around to it. 4 950's with 8 Lux M RB's. Up in the air about the B/CY/HV numbers though. Looking forward to seeing your build Crazyeyes!

Planning my 90 too, very similar plans.

Archived