Cultivated Reef

Worst Fish Store in the USA

Gooburz

This past weekend I had the Joy of visiting the WORST place ever! Sea Save Inc. in Baltimore MD.

I went and visited the store and although they claim to be "appointment only" you can still go there and that is where the screening process beings with them. Within the 1st 30 sec to 1 min if they don't like you they treat you like total crap. They claim to be a rescue place and how much they care for sea creatures and despise the Hobby. Yet they keep multiple (7-8) sharks in a small 8ft tank that is overcrowded but yet they "save animals" and want their highest care.

If you do not use what they consider to be top brands in the business they don't like you and won't help you. They make statements on how they hate how much the hobby has torn apart the oceans but yet you can order fish from them that they go and collect from the ocean vs tank bread fish.

I went in to look at some corals and I managed to make it in and see how super expensive they were, and any question you ask you get answered with a RUDE response.

I don't know why they are open for business because from what I can see they clearly hate everyone and the hobby. After asking them why they contradict themselves non stop I was threatened to have the cops called on me for asking a question after all their rudness and snobbery.

What business wouldn't want someone to come in and see them and how wonderful you can be, that is FREE and the best advertisement that is out there. I'll NEVER understand people like that as long as I live and look forward to the day they go out of business!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even by reading their website I can tell those people are pretty crazy. Lol

Seems like they just bash anyone who doesn't do things exactly as they would do it .

Here is one of my faves from the site

""Macro algae" ( a Fancy name for plant) is suppose help pull out nitrates if you add about 100LBS. of plant in there it might do some good, but we found if you add extra carbon it does a better job . "

Even by reading their website I can tell those people are pretty crazy. Lol

Seems like they just bash anyone who doesn't do things exactly as they would do it .

Here is one of my faves from the site

""Macro algae" ( a Fancy name for plant) is suppose help pull out nitrates if you add about 100LBS. of plant in there it might do some good, but we found if you add extra carbon it does a better job . "

Yea it was just shocking how they contradict themselves every step of the way, I even asked my LFS about them and I talked with the same 3 employees I always see there and they just had this look of pure rage like they wanted to Sparta Kick them. Word is out about that store so they will go under really fast.

Few people that buy sharks on a regular basis that go to the LFS always wind up donating them to the Baltimore aquarium at 1 point. I'm dying to see this 1 guy who comes in and has a 1,000 gallon tank in his basement for sharks and Rays

llama roadkill

Not sure if I read this correctly but their homepage said something along the lines of "Fish companies feed their fish poisons that make them die in weeks"

What?!

I have seen some fish live more than a decade that came from pet stores! These guys are nut jobs!

If only you could see them in person and speak with them. Still sends chills down my spine. I think I might have to go back and get pics so you guys can see what I'm really talking about, but they might shoot me.

And apparently some catch fish and coral with... dynamite ?

"We at Sea Save WILL NOT order corals, fish, live stock, Live Rock, etc. for the aquarium trade that is illegally acquired or collected. Which includes: dynamite, Cyndie, quinaldine or sneaking corals into this country illegally. We DON'T promote or support these activities. "

Clowns , Chromis, Scooter Blenny ?

"Why do you not carry DAMSELS? DAMSELS DO NOT MAKE GOOD STARTER FISH! Over the last 2 years alone we have rescued over 30 damsels. They got mean or got big and mean. We consider them to be semi-aggressive fish. We know them as rent a pets. Stater fish can be clown fish, chromis (in the damsel family), scooter blenny. We have used some of these to cycle tanks. Live rock is another good starter if you do not want to add these types of fish. Bottom line is DON'T BUY FISH YOUR ARE NOT GOING TO KEEP IN THERE. "

'Q: I was told to start my tank with a dead gold fish under my under gravel filter to start my biological. P.L. from CA.

A: Myth.Why would you want to start a live aquarium with death? Start by removing under gravel filter. Start with ONE fish either a scooter blenny, a clown, or pygmy angel, add live rock and (try to) wait 6 weeks. The biological will occur.'

This statement from their website caught my eye. Did they just say that you should START your cycle by adding a Scooter Blenny?!?!?! WTH. :o

You can't fix stupid.

Fail: http://seasave.net/1362728.html

Q: I'm driving myself crazy with all the tests that need to be done, is there an answer? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

A: Yes, Don't. Plan and simply, Check Salinity and Temp. If you test for this an test for that it only tells you those results. It also depends on what time of the day. Note: at the bottom of every test kit it states "If and results are not within those parameters, DO A WATER CHANGE". So watch your pets if they are breathing heavy, Do a water change, If your water is cloudy, Do a water change. This Vet. says "A lot of your hobbyists will play Chemist without a degree." We agree to a point. Calm down, ENJOY your pets and only test if You feel You need to for answerer's"

So let me get this straight.. I'm supposed to wait until my livestock shows signs of distress and then do a water change? :haha:

Their spelling and grammar is... Wow. Well. I know it's probably a poor decision on my part, but I immediately distrust someone giving me "facts" who can't properly articulate those facts.

"Fish have no rights! Many of these so-called reef safe chemicals are hazardous and illegal in most states for humans and animals to come in contact with but because of the loophole that fish do not have rights people are being exposed when they put their arms in their tank but Animal Planet, pet stores and chat forum aquarium clubs support their sponsors in Maryland that recommend this chemical poisoning scam so they can sell more bottles of snake oil to kill more fish and people. Maybe this is why Maryland has the number one cancer rate in the U.S."

http://seasave.net/ARTICLES.html

:o:o:o:o

Q: A lot of experts say to keep my Salinity at 1.025, What do you recommend?

A: Our wholesale facility is at 1.021. Our retail store is at 1.021 and where we collect these creatures (Atlantic,Gulf,Keys.) is at 1.021. At least by MY refractometer. If you like to keep yours higher don't forget to top off daily.

"Fish have no rights! Many of these so-called reef safe chemicals are hazardous and illegal in most states for humans and animals to come in contact with but because of the loophole that fish do not have rights people are being exposed when they put their arms in their tank but Animal Planet, pet stores and chat forum aquarium clubs support their sponsors in Maryland that recommend this chemical poisoning scam so they can sell more bottles of snake oil to kill more fish and people. Maybe this is why Maryland has the number one cancer rate in the U.S."

http://seasave.net/ARTICLES.html

:o:o:o:o

This was by far my favorite article they put out, no clue where this guy gets his "facts" from but I have a feeling he is just saying whatever he can to get some kind of attention. I'm leaning towards him being mentally unstable.

Wow really a scooter blenny which eats live food and is an incredibly good starver, not only but we have gotten past this whole fish cycling process by adding a dead shrimp or fish or an ammonia source im no expert infant im practically a noob but something's up

Just posted my review on Google reviews for this place, I can't wait to see their response. I'm posting it below for comments or maybe more to add/edit.

Wish I could put less than 1 star but I can't. These people contradict themselves at every turn. They hate the hobby and claim it destroys the oceans but yet they will go collect species from the ocean rather than tank raised fish and corals, staff is arrogant and ignorant at best, more grammar errors than I could count. They preach the “best” care for marine life yet they keep a shark tank that is way too small and overcrowded, their answer is “nobody else will take them” which is a load of crap because the Baltimore aquarium will take them.

They claim to be a “Rescue only” facility but yet they collect and sell to the public, they make BEYOND wild accusations on everything and my favorite is this blathering (please see link), and notice how they have ZERO ways to prove this “theory” http://seasave.net/ARTICLES.html

The way they explain to cycle tanks or how to house marine life is just 100% wrong at EVERY turn, these people are rude morons and that is a Fact.

Myself and MANY other local reefers support other local establishments that according to these nut jobs use “Snake Oil” that kills marine life yet our systems have been just fine for years.

My question to these nut jobs who hopefully will be out of business soon is why do you contradict yourselves at every turn and are beyond rude to people?

If you want the best advertisement its free and called “Word of mouth” and you have a horrible one. And also EVERY animal shelter are more than HAPPY to show you their facilities and animals because they actually DO care and want to show off these wonderful creatures weather its fish, dog, cat, bird and get them good homes. You people make me sick and give false information at every turn. IF you TRULY cared at all about marine life or the hobby you would want to show people and educate them but you just want to make excuses and wild accusations.

The people that run an LFS near me periodically take in rescues for various species (tang and puffers, mostly) that are then marked "not for sale" and cared for the remainder of said fish's life in their coral prop tanks. Somehow manage to not be total a$$h0les about it in the process, too. ;)

Pity the Sea Save folks can't manage the same. But then again, the folks near me also aren't STARK RAVING INSANE.

That site reads like a P.E.T.A. manifesto page. Minus the coherency.

Just checked out their site. I felt like I was being yelled at the whole time. :(

Check this out:

“Tank-Raised” or “Captive breed” means fish that has been BORN in captivity, and/or closed or controlled environment. NOT collected from the wild. NOT a pregnant female released its babies in a tank, but pairs of creatures mating, breeding and hatching its babies in captivity! Example: If a Pregnant female is collected in the wild and gives birth in an aquarium some places will call the babies “Tank-Raised”. Not my definition of tank-raised or captive breed, not most peoples conception of the meaning. Clown fish and other species will breed in captivity and the eggs will hatch into baby clown fish. That is the “TRUE” tank-raised results. The parents may have been wild caught but the babies are now truly tank-raised or captive breed. I may be blonde but it comes from a box. Do you home work. Don’t fall for what ever the so-called experts throw at you. Webster has great definitions.Four to six months. -

By my definition, something born in captivity and raised in a tank is "tank raised." You can say it wasn't "captive bred", but it is most definitely "tank raised."

I like how they even have a glossary at the end of the page (http://seasave.net/ON-THE-NET.html) yet they don't even use some terms properly.

Do you home work.

Do you home work.

Do you home work.

Do you home work.

Do you home work.

I hope everyone that visits this site does, that way they can see how wrong these people are about so many things.

This whole thing just screams idgit PETA nonsense.

Bambie and John are the owners. They are pretty committed to helping reefs. Last time I was there I saw a shark in a huge baby pool. eccentrics? yes!

Helping reefs is one thing, slandering people in the hobby just because is something totally different. They also have to stick with their story, not say one thing then immediately contradict themselves with the next statement.

Archived