Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Lighting for Maxima

JCarlson11

Hi, All.

I've been scouring the forum but could not find a specific answer to my question.

Could people give their opinion on whether this light can sustain a maxima clam? The light is over an 8 gallon tank, about 16 inches from the sand bed.

Innovative marine claims that the lighting can support clams here, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks!

6 leds?

At 8 watts of screamin' power!

For a Maxima?

Hmmm

And the pdf does not claim that ot will grow a maxima. It gives you average required PAR values for suchandsuch.

Then it gives you a PAR range of 50-320 @ 1 INCH away, for the 8 watt.

There is a phrase from photography and physics. Its call the inverse square law. Essentially it means that at twice the distance that light travels through air you get 1/4 the light, roughly.

So at 2" the PAR is going to be 1/4 of 1". At 4" its going to be 1/16 the PAR(1/4 x 1/4). This is through air. Water has refraction, reflection and caustics; but its not going to be far off.

Hey J

I've never tried the Skkye lights, so I have no experience with them.

That being said, as far as I can read the data sheets, you will only get enough light for clams under 1 inch of water. I would definately go for another light!

Hey J

I've never tried the Skkye lights, so I have no experience with them.

That being said, as far as I can read the data sheets, you will only get enough light for clams under 1 inch of water. I would definately go for another light!

+1

Thanks guys. Moral of the story seems to be that this is not a very powerful light...seems like even if i doubled up i.e. two of this particular light it would not be enough to handle species that require greater amounts of light such as SPS and maxima clams...what about Crocea?

Croceas are just as light intensive. Probably even more so than maxis. I would stay away from clams as you would probably slowly starve them with this light.

• 2 weeks later...

The clam will die in one month under that light. The bad part it you may not even notice that the guy is starving. Suddenly , on one night it will retract and will be gone the next day.

Archived