Cultivated Reef

The Current Sea of Love. (retired)

MarieH

Hello: I decided to start a thread with an ode to 'flsvedlund' and her 30g tank of the month of July 2013. So inspirational. Anyhoo.. I have had tanks on and off since about 2008 but usually fw planted. I started a ten gallon salty reef in June. In it I have a tanaka wetmorella, pygmy wrasse, a tailspot blenny and also a cleaner shrimp and about 10 pounds live rock with various crabs, snails and abut 12 coral frags, underneath a 38 Rapid's par bulb. While all this is going swimmingly, pardon the pun, I wanted to go bigger, so I sold off my planted 30g to convert to salt. So here it is today: from this to this.

30g freshwater before the salty conversion

20 pounds of marco rock so far.. Ro/di system 7 stage from aquasafe on order. No more water lugging Yay! 40 pounds special reef grade aragonite on the floor at the moment. And the games begin.

post-68341-0-22659500-1377441641_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait to see this tank come together, Marie! I'm so excited that you have a 30 gallon with the same dimensions as mine. Also, I am super flattered that my tank is your inspiration. :)

You had a gorgeous FW tank, so I really can't wait to see what you do with it as a reef tank. I am positive it is going to be stunning! I will be following along.

Thanks. Just waiting on the r/o to get started, sand and hard scape is looking nice, might still tweak a bit before adding water. I understand the mechanics of the planted tank soo I can go back there whenever.. I had sold off almost half the plants before I sold off everything so that photo is the recovery period before the final sale. It was really nice. Oh well, don't make me sad lol. It would have been a good time to upgrade to a new, larger tank but I decided to work with what I have, inspired as above. I need to eat too :) $$$

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/mainpage.php Is having a sale so I got the hydor 425 x2 pumps plus the wave controller, and didn't want to break the bank for a vortech. I will need a light upgrade as tme goes by sooo a penny earned is a penny saved. I guess.

Marie, so with the wavemaker, are you planning to have both Koralias running at the same time? Or will the alternate? Before I upgraded to my MP10, I had one Koralia 750 on each end of the tank and they were plugged into a JBJ oceanpulse which alternated which pump was turned on every 45 seconds. I'm concerned that the 425's aren't going to be enough flow considering how long the tank is. Are you planning on keeping SPS corals?

Marie, so with the wavemaker, are you planning to have both Koralias running at the same time? Or will the alternate? Before I upgraded to my MP10, I had one Koralia 750 on each end of the tank and they were plugged into a JBJ oceanpulse which alternated which pump was turned on every 45 seconds. I'm concerned that the 425's aren't going to be enough flow considering how long the tank is. Are you planning on keeping SPS corals?

uto yes I was not sure, I can call and go to a bigger size I spose. I had my reservations...thanks for the input..I will call them back.

uto yes I was not sure, I can call and go to a bigger size I spose. I had my reservations...thanks for the input..I will call them back.

Yeah, sorry to change your plan! I just know that 2 750's seemed like just the right amount of flow on my tank and I think any less flow wouldn't have been enough, especially if you want to keep SPS corals. I figured since you have the exact same size tank, I would let you know what worked for me :) Glad you can still change your order.

cancelled: going for an mp10 I think, just waiting till they process my refund. Currency of love.oh ya. :rolleyes:

You're going to like the MP10. The Koralia 750's worked great in my tank but they're big pumps so they stuck out a ways into the tank on both sides. I never liked how they looked. Now I just have one little MP10 that is barely noticeable and it looks so much nicer.

hah, "dirty thirty"...I laughed.

:) oh well it was `dirted`at one point , now its a brine behind? :wacko: but not yet wet. Going to set up my ro/di system tomorrow which came today. My tap water is 148 tds..oolala

And what do you fellas think of the jebao w25? A lfs near me got them in now, the 40 and 25...looks ok for the price.

They've been getting great reviews and they're a lot cheaper than the Vortechs. My only big issue with them is that they're pretty big and bulky like the Koralias.

I can't really compare them because I only used the Vortech's, but the size alone makes the Vortech's my choice (especially for nano tanks) I have heard very good things about the WP25's as well.

Haha, we're not making this any easier are we?!

edit: spelling

They've been getting great reviews and they're a lot cheaper than the Vortechs. My only big issue with them is that they're pretty big and bulky like the Koralias.

I can't really compare them because I only used the Vortech's, but the size along makes the Vortech's my choice (especially for nano tanks) I have heard very good things about the WP25's as well.

Haha, we're not making this any easier are we?!

Nope. I thought bigger was better? ummm B) I guess not in all things.. ok off to tweak my leaky ro relaxing hobby? oh ya good news is tds now 0. Yay.

Makin water: reefer kitchen

currency of love kitchen

ten gallon currency of love, note the blenny rock with the hole in it, I guess he's at work today since no one home right now. :) love that tail spot, he's awesome.

currency of love !0g.

and dirty 30

the membrane is 100gpd. I filled about 20 litres in 3hours with the flow rate I have it at. 000 tds. Thats with dumping some and rinsing out containers. Very satisfied with it so far.

Up and running, with one 300 gallon powerhead and an aquaclear 50 with some sponge (for now) HOB fuge is on the way, as is the jebo w25. Stole 4 pounds or so of rock from my 10g just to cycle, I will probably smash it up later and put it in the fuge with sand and chaeto. Nothing else to report. Over and out. Happy long weekend.

finnex refugium

However humble

Tailspot Blenny in my ten gallon.

Nothing much yet for the 30g. Got nitrates. About 10ppm at the moment. Cycle is on.

out for more chaeto, chemipure elite or gfo and carbon and whatever I be seein in the lfs today. I'm off work for a long weekend. Happy weenkending.

Archived