SaltCritters.com

The Nothing from the Ocean RSM 130 New pics pg10

tennis20

I started in the hobby back in February of 2012 and have been hooked ever since. If you want to take a look at that, it's in my sig. When hurricane sandy hit, it knocked out my power for two weeks and the temperature in house was well below 50 degrees. I lost everything except for two hermits that I then gave to the LFS. Well, I have learned a lot about the hobby since then, I've made plenty of mistakes, and I will make plenty more.

I've decided to go with a Red Sea Max 130. And so far, I'm very happy with it. For now, at least, I'm going to be doing no mods because I'm on a budget. The tank is placed in my room that has an air conditioner for the heat in the summer. One of the only reasons I put it in my room is that it has an air conditioner. So, hopefully it won't be terribly loud.

This is my first attempt. I liked it but I moved one rock to another place and then I ended up moving everything and I couldn't recreate it.

IMG_2008_zps1d817876.jpg

<span style="font-family: lucida sans unicode" ,="" 'lucida="" grande',="" sans-serif'="">This is my second attempt. I think I'm going to keep it, it has many caves that aren't shown.

IMG_2033_zps6f83a824.jpg

Most recent fts

F1B4D8B4-8A58-4D21-B79E-822C3201E067-692

Most Recent FTS

May 2014

5CFED160-54CE-4CBD-A5C1-18D1B5A2ABB5_zps

Equipment list:

Filtration - chemi pure elite, purigen, tunze 9002 with inTank Cup.
Circulation- vortech mp10w es
Rodi- spectra pure 4 stage

Stocking

Fish- 2 SA clowns, 2 firefish

Inverts- Cleaner Shrimp

Coral-

Various Zoas

ORA Stylo

Ora Porites

ReefGen Setosa

Reefgen Acan

Other various acan

Green torch

Rhodactis Mushrooms

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might want to get into coral propagation. Every captive propagated coral sold on the market saves roughly 10 frags harvested in the wild. Think about it - only 1 in 10 wild harvested frags makes it to your LFS alive! Pretty amazing.

You might want to get into coral propagation. Every captive propagated coral sold on the market saves roughly 10 frags harvested in the wild. Think about it - only 1 in 10 wild harvested frags makes it to your LFS alive! Pretty amazing.

I think it's terrible that only 1 in 10 corals get to the LFS. I'm in high school and did a whole research report on the effects of pollution/climate change/harvesting affects the reef. I've read so many articles showing that if we don't do something about the depletion of the reefs they will be gone forever, including our beloved hobby

Well that's actually kind of the point of coral propagation - conserving these species of animals is important for a number of reasons. The most important to our hobby is, of course, furthering the hobby. The demand for aquarium coral frags needs to be met and I believe that almost all of the common LPS and SPS species should be easily purchased tank raised at this point. Two is that there are a number of projects going on to repopulate wild reefs with captive coral frags which has a number of benefits - the biggest being that captive propagated corals are hardier than their wild counterparts. This means that reefs repopulated with captive propagated frags is going to be a reef that responds to changes in water parameters better. Definitely important going forward as the oceans are warming and acidifying.

Here are some photos of the setup

39c2525a952259053f817e373bfe6c6d_zps10a75b45c9d1d2cc987226ce0e0ea2cf9dc8_zpsa2bcff86e48e911d58c40af87fb27854e318_zps5e55f53b537a4d25e3573ac86576619b4023_zps30fc

There is some hot glue like substance on the light bulbs, below, should I take that off?

b0a99d5564f203446dda2c5e718d18d2_zpsf4c3

And of course the intake tube on one of the pumps is broken so ill call Red Sea and have a new one sent to me

Congrats and welcome back... just getting restarted myself after a lengthy Sandy-related break.

The 'hot glue' you refer to is actually glass - I think a spacer between the bulbs - but doesn't have to be removed.

Just replaced my bulbs yesterday, and had one where a small piece of that spacer broke off - I don't think I'd try to force it off.

Good luck!

Look sharp! Man I love those RSM tanks. Those bulbs look a little bluer than the other RSM 130s I've seen in person, did you replace them or are they stock? It could just be the white balance in the pictures.

Look sharp! Man I love those RSM tanks. Those bulbs look a little bluer than the other RSM 130s I've seen in person, did you replace them or are they stock? It could just be the white balance in the pictures.

It's all stock.

Congrats and welcome back... just getting restarted myself after a lengthy Sandy-related break.

The 'hot glue' you refer to is actually glass - I think a spacer between the bulbs - but doesn't have to be removed.

Just replaced my bulbs yesterday, and had one where a small piece of that spacer broke off - I don't think I'd try to force it off.

Good luck!

I see the glass spacer but there is also a hot glue like substance, aside from the glass spacer.

I've never had a skimmer so this question might seem a little dumb but, I put water in the tank(fresh) and the skimmer is loud and all but it isn't really producing much foam at all, it's making bubble that aren't rising. They are stopping at the top of the neck of the skimmer. Is this because there are practically no nutrients in the water, it's freshwater, it hasnt been running for very long or a combination of all three. I'm such a noob with skimmers.

FWIW...

Don't think there's a need to run the skimmer until you at least have salt water, and probably not until you add live rock and sand. That said, it's typical that the skimmer will need some time to 'break in' - either through adjustments to the air valve, or just the regular buildup on the pump parts which actually seem to help quiet it.

I changed over to the Tunze 9002 with StevieT cup many years ago, and didn't use the stock skimmer (I used the pump from that skimmer to mix salt water), so your mileage may vary.

Are you using tap water for the tank? My guess based on the garden hose in the picture... will assume others will chime in about using RO or RO/DI water instead.

FWIW...

Don't think there's a need to run the skimmer until you at least have salt water, and probably not until you add live rock and sand. That said, it's typical that the skimmer will need some time to 'break in' - either through adjustments to the air valve, or just the regular buildup on the pump parts which actually seem to help quiet it.

I changed over to the Tunze 9002 with StevieT cup many years ago, and didn't use the stock skimmer (I used the pump from that skimmer to mix salt water), so your mileage may vary.

Are you using tap water for the tank? My guess based on the garden hose in the picture... will assume others will chime in about using RO or RO/DI water instead.

Oh alright, I'm actually putting saltwater in today with some rock that I got from reef cleaners. As for the tap water, yes I am using tap water *everyone be disappointed in me*. Just for the initial set up though, once I start to have organisms in there I'm going to use distilled. I just can't afford a rodi. I did however use tap water conditioner which doesn't make too much of a difference but I will use distilled from now on. I also can't do any mods of any kind because my dad thinks I'm inept with this.

Cool idea!

I want a RSM so bad, they are awesome tanks, but at $900...

Thanks!

That's another reason I don't want to mod it, I just spent $900 on a tank, I shouldn't have to buy anything else to make it work

llama roadkill

Thanks!

That's another reason I don't want to mod it, I just spent $900 on a tank, I shouldn't have to buy anything else to make it work

I was actually just comparing prices between the 40B I want to get and this...only about $90 more for a RSM...

If I don't have to upgrade the stock lighting, I might consider it!

Man, tap water is definitely a downer. When you say you can't afford RO/DI do you man you can't afford to buy an RO unit? Most fish stores should sell you RO water for less than a dollar a gallon. If you use tap it's going to add a lot of Nitrates and Phosphates that will turn into algae down the road.

SerenityReef

I see where you're trying to go with this and I'll be the one to say it....

LOOSE THE TAP WATER. At $1 per gallon go to a LFS and get some. Its like starting your tank wrong, knowingly, and going forward with it. You will spend for more money trying to fix tap water then just buying water. You can start without an RO/DI unit, buy from a store or a local reefer. Your no going to get your sand from the local playground...get real water.

Read the reviews on the stock skimmer...it sucks. I have probably read a hundred review and can remember it working for maybe one person. To answer your question, shutting it off at night would not be advised. A skimmer very slowly cleans very small particles from your water, shutting it off will kill the air column (micro bubbles) you are creating. As a side note, skimmers usually take 7-14 days to break in and will be all over the place those 14 days.

Stock lighting is fine, many will tell you it isn't, but Kat has proved it is more then fine. She has grown just about everything you can think under a stock hood.

So all that said...I do encourage you to wait and start it right. Last thing you want is a $900 tank of algae to prove your dad right.

Welcome back!

PS- guess Defender and I were writing at the same time.

Man, tap water is definitely a downer. When you say you can't afford RO/DI do you man you can't afford to buy an RO unit? Most fish stores should sell you RO water for less than a dollar a gallon. If you use tap it's going to add a lot of Nitrates and Phosphates that will turn into algae down the road.

I can't afford the actual unit, though I'm not even sure that my LFS sells ro water. But if they do, does anyone know how to transport it? What do you think about distilled water

I see where you're trying to go with this and I'll be the one to say it....

LOOSE THE TAP WATER. At $1 per gallon go to a LFS and get some. Its like starting your tank wrong, knowingly, and going forward with it. You will spend for more money trying to fix tap water then just buying water. You can start without an RO/DI unit, buy from a store or a local reefer. Your no going to get your sand from the local playground...get real water.

Read the reviews on the stock skimmer...it sucks. I have probably read a hundred review and can remember it working for maybe one person. To answer your question, shutting it off at night would not be advised. A skimmer very slowly cleans very small particles from your water, shutting it off will kill the air column (micro bubbles) you are creating. As a side note, skimmers usually take 7-14 days to break in and will be all over the place those 14 days.

Stock lighting is fine, many will tell you it isn't, but Kat has proved it is more then fine. She has grown just about everything you can think under a stock hood.

So all that said...I do encourage you to wait and start it right. Last thing you want is a $900 tank of algae to prove your dad right.

Welcome back!

PS- guess Defender and I were writing at the same time.

I'm going to try and see if it works

on a side note, I just got the rock from reef cleaners. It looks great! But the package came a little beat up and the rock was just sitting in the box, free. Either way I'm happy.

llama roadkill
I can't afford the actual unit, though I'm not even sure that my LFS sells ro water. But if they do, does anyone know how to transport it?

I'm going to try and see if it works

Usually LFSs will use jugs. All three of mine do, but I don't know about yours.

You can get a RODI unit for $100. If you go to LFS and buy 34 gallons of RODI unit, that's gonna run you $34 dollars already. May as well buy a RODI unit. That's the first thing I got for my tank. Makes everything sooo much simpler. You gonna need top off water too.

Just wondering, if I test my tap and it's fine, does that mean it's fine or are there other things in it that can cause trouble?

My LFS sells for $150-200 it think. I think it's simpler for me to just buy distilled or ro from my lfs

You can get a RODI unit for $100. If you go to LFS and buy 34 gallons of RODI unit, that's gonna run you $34 dollars already. May as well buy a RODI unit. That's the first thing I got for my tank. Makes everything sooo much simpler. You gonna need top off water too

Archived